Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can't believe it... cio?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 2:22 pm
miami85 wrote:
behaviors are changed by replacing it. If a child is conditioned to eating but theylearn to suck their thumb/paci or hug their blankie or music/light show can distract so the child can fall asleep it is teaching self-soothing which is a form of self-regulation.

The ideal way to help a child self regulate is not CIO. Thats my point. Even if that is the ultimate outcome, it is a faulty way of achieving it.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:35 pm
Mabel lieve I agree with you wholeheartedly... so can you help me figure out how to get him to sleep in his crib?? Today I tried to give him a nap in his crib... He rolled over talking and then crying... put him in stroller and he went to sleep. Sad he doesn't take a paci... He takes takes a bottle if he is in the mood. Has a blankie. I'm out of ideas! Should I buy one of those elevated hard pillows for his crib? Maybe he needs the slight slant like his stroller? And how do I help him not roll over
Op

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:44 pm
No, those elevated pillows are not safe for a baby that age. Did you stay in the room? How long did he cry?

Also, he isn't rolling both ways independently at 10 months?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:49 pm
Ok. I stayed in his room room for room for a half hour u think it made him more upset. He can roll both ways bH. It more when he is almost asleep he leans into the stroller- so this obviously is different into a crib. crib He rolls over and and starts crying even more.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:09 pm
He'll figure it out, it's just a new experience for him.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:25 pm
You can put a folded towel under the top of the baby's mattress so the crib feels slightly inclined. I think that helped my baby transition to her crib.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 8:18 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
The ideal way to help a child self regulate is not CIO. Thats my point. Even if that is the ultimate outcome, it is a faulty way of achieving it.

I'm not saying to leave your baby crying for hours on end, but a few minutes so that baby falls asleep by himself--especially if he ends up talking to himself-- does not do irreparable harm, and is good in the long run.

mandr

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:15 pm
Happy to report that after two nights of letting my baby cry to sleep (9 minutes the first night with me going in to soothe him after 5 minutes, and 5 minutes the second night) he went to sleep tonight without a peep! Yay! In fact, he didn't even fall asleep right away - he was happily talking to himself for a few minutes and then moved around to a better position and went to sleep about 10 minutes later. In other words, I didn't even put him to bed THAT tired.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:52 pm
Op here! BH the baby went to sleep with a bottle at around 730. Then at around 9 he woke up screaming. Since last night he had 2 dirty diapers after facing asleep I decided to check him. He had a dirty! I changed him, calmed him down and nursed him for a bit. I then put him in stroller with 4 oz bottle of bm. He finished and started to cry so I went in gave him a kiss took bottle a way and said good jight. After 2 and a half minutes he stopped crying, talked to himself and fell asleep!!! This is great.... but I dread transitioning him to his crib... Thank you for your support advice and encouragement! Keep it coming:)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:46 pm
Op here. .. tried transition to crib tonight. Did night routine. He cried so hard right when I put him I... I stayed with him and sang to calm him down. Didn't help. I patted him have bottle. Inclined mattress with folded towel... now he is nursing because he wouldn't calm down. I'm going to put him in stroller soon... I don't know what to do... any advice?? Sad

miami85

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:59 pm
This is an idea I've seen with trying to transfer infants (I.e. around 6 months) to a crib, not sure how it would work for a 10 month old. Perhaps can you use a blanket or a sheet or receiving blanket under him in the stroller and then use that to help him transfer to the crib.

Another idea is to try something with soothing music to help distract him and lull him to sleep. We received a fisher-price sea horse that glows and plays calming music. One of my kids loved it, the other kept throwing it out of the crib but then learned to soothe himself with it, but there are also versions that project stars on the ceiling and that might interest him and help him calm down.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 9:03 pm
Just put him in stroller and he went to sleep right away...
I have a noise machine but I can try music instead... He loves music. I'll look into the seahorse. Thanks! Anyone ever deal with this? 10 month old to crib? I wish I had done it sooner but I've tried every month since 6 months so far. I am obviously doing something wrong. .. Sad

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 9:17 pm
I think you just have to give it time and stick it out. It WILL be hard in the beginning but it's probably the only way to go about it. I mean, it won't work if you do it wishy washy.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 9:20 pm
Be miami85 I just looked up the seahorse on amazon and the reviews are concerning- many people are saying that the battery compartment went on fire. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/re.....dp_cr

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 10:27 pm
My son had a toy similar to the sea horse, one of the music ocean scene toys that attach to the crib. Sample link below. It has lights and played music. It really helped my son with the transition to crib. He would turn it on to self sooth when he woke up in the middle of the night.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Ein.....i_0_0

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 2:46 am
I didn't read the whole thread but I think letting a baby CIO is wrong and has long term damage. I also don't think it's allowed according to Halacha. Chazal said that a mother is obligated to answer her baby cry. Anon because I don't want to be attacked.

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 3:54 am
I just think for safety sake you have to get him sleeping in that crib, OP. If you think of it that way, perhaps you'll be more sure of yourself.

You could break this down into little steps. First, put the stroller by his crib for naps and bedtime. Change his diapers and let him have play time in the crib. Then try to get him to nap in the crib. And when he seems used to and happy with the crib, then try night time sleeping.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
Be miami85 I just looked up the seahorse on amazon and the reviews are concerning- many people are saying that the battery compartment went on fire. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/re.....dp_cr

Never heard that before, mine worked fine. I actually have 2 of them. It does seem like they are trying to fix the problem.

Anyway there are other options, but I love this one.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread but I think letting a baby CIO is wrong and has long term damage. I also don't think it's allowed according to Halacha. Chazal said that a mother is obligated to answer her baby cry. Anon because I don't want to be attacked.

Letting baby cry for no reason (or if baby has a true need: hunger, pain etc) yes, is probably not according to halacha. Secondly, I saw the Hamodia/Binah article and it says that mother will have to give "din v'cheshbon" which means you give an accounting--if it's legit, then you are not liable.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:26 am
Didnt read all replies
Just want to say that you are fighting his nature, there are other valid ways for baby to go to sleep eg. Nursing on your bed and he sleeps in your bed (in a safe way- away from you and pillows and blankets, near wall)
At some older age he will go to his own bed. He will not need comforting till he is 18yrs.
Why dont people just go with the flow? Comfort the baby to sleep, where does it say in the Torah that a baby must fall asleep on their own?
Once my friend told me she did cio andher kid is totally fine. Ha! The kid had BIG emotional/behavioural issues starting in the preschool years. I cant say its connected to cio but she cant tell me her kid is just fine.
Sorry im just writing in general to everyone
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics