Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Spin off: What do you serve at a brit?
1  2  3  Next

What do you serve at a brit?
dairy  
 63%  [ 51 ]
pareve  
 3%  [ 3 ]
meaty  
 32%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 80

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:42 pm
I have never been to a basari brit. Growing up in New Jersey, it was always a bagel spread. Here in israel, its salatim, breads, spreads, pareve things.

What about you?

kb

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:46 pm
Our Israeli bris was catered - so potato bourekas, rice, some salads, schnitzel and turkey.

Our American bris was tuna, egg salad, fruits and vegetables (cut up and not), and lots of Matza. (can you guess when that was?!)

But really when I think of a bris I think bagels, lox, cream cheese, and those little danish things!

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I have never been to a basari brit. Growing up in New Jersey, it was always a bagel spread. Here in israel, its salatim, breads, spreads, pareve things.

What about you?

Shabbat, in Israel many people (most?) have the brit in the afternoon, and it is definitely besari. At least the sefaradim/mizrachim do it this way.

Most brits I have been to (in Israel) have been in small halls, besari catering. A few were catered morning affairs (dairy breakfast).

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:50 pm
Both brissim were coffee and tea, pastries, mini bagels and scrambled eggs. One had hashbrown potatoes. I can't remember if the other did.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:10 pm
We had fish un fleish, I'm pretty sure.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:13 pm
deli, rolls, some pastries/cake, cole slaw or potato salad, pickles. for breakfast.

thats the standard yeshiva bris fare here (not the standard bris fare in the city tho)

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:23 pm
Funny, every brit I've been to in Israel was besari. Here in the US I've mostly been to the chalavi bagel type. My husband likes to do besari for a seudat mitzvah so that's what we do.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:25 pm
In our circles britot are almost exclusively in the morning in shul right after davening or at the latest mid-morning and consist of either bagels and spreads or other dairy/parve options.
In my mind 'brit' has become synonomous with Holy Bagel.
I have attended a number of afternoon britot though in halls where the food was besari.
They were without exception mizrahi families.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:42 pm
busydev wrote:
deli, rolls, some pastries/cake, cole slaw or potato salad, pickles. for breakfast.

thats the standard yeshiva bris fare here (not the standard bris fare in the city tho)

Deli for breakfast?!? Never seen that, wow!

Beyla

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:49 pm
We made cakes, pastries and for lunch it was fish.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 5:51 pm
I did: Bagels, fresh baked sides of salmon, salads, egg/tuna salad. Can't remember what else.

My first two I did at home, last one I did in a hall and hired someone to make the salads and cook the salmon.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:02 pm
Other. For the first 2, it was in NY and the typical one with bagels, cream cheese, etc. The next one was on shabbos at my parents house and truthfully, I don't exactly remember. The fourth one was in Argentina, at night, and fleishig. The last one was in the morning and milichig. It was mostly miniature cheese empanadas and other argentinian types of food like that, all mini.

morah

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:02 pm
Weekday is dairy. The basic kind- like I did for my boys- was bagels, spreads, fruit platter, assorted muffins. The fancy kind also had hot items life waffles and French toast, some even with an omelet bar. I have seen meat brissim, but only on Shabbos/YT. I also have been to a bris with no food- it was on YK :-)

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:18 pm
Bagels and spreads, salad, fruit, juice, coffee, tea, cookies and/or danish. Pretty standard stuff around here. More lavish hosts might have smoked salmon, whitefish salad, fancier pastry. We once attended an OTT bris with a "hot table" at which they made crepes and omelettes on the spot.

Never heard of a fleishik bris. They're usually in the morning, and frum people aren't likely to appreciate being fleishik so early in the day. Especially if they like their coffee-break coffee with milk.

kiryat sefer

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:26 pm
One is supposed to have meat by the bris. I read this in a sefer-pamphlet from the well known mohel reb ahron meyer hes a belzer chossid from boro park. He brings a few proofs that if you want the child to grow up to be a nachas one should serve meat. And he brings a story of how a boy couldnt learn well because they didnt have it

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:37 pm
kiryat sefer wrote:
One is supposed to have meat by the bris. I read this in a sefer-pamphlet from the well known mohel reb ahron meyer hes a belzer chossid from boro park. He brings a few proofs that if you want the child to grow up to be a nachas one should serve meat. And he brings a story of how a boy couldnt learn well because they didnt have it

Could you share some of the proofs?

How did they discover that the food at his brit was responsible for his problem? Were they able to overcome the problem? If so, how?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:37 pm
kiryat sefer wrote:

The only fleishig bris I've ever been to in my 35+ years on the planet was on Shabbos. Every single other bris (all in NY, ranging from yeshivish to MO) has been milchig. Since you are quoting a belz rabbi, might be safe to assume that the minhag to have fleishig at a bris is more widely accepted among chassidish. Among the non chassidish brissim that I've been to, they've all been dairy (and I'm sure many have grown up to be fine learners)

Bruria

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 7:03 pm
I think most are dairy, and "the holy bagel". I've been to a few that were meat, really fancy ones, sort of looked like engagement parties!

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 7:04 pm
I don't think the baby gets much of a taste of the food, so the menu is unlikely to have a major influence on his learning capacity!

Pretty much everyone I know has milchig/ bagel with cream cheese type seudot. Always have done. And it doesn't seem to affect the quality of the boy's learning, whether in kodesh or secular Wink

sky

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 8:59 pm
Bagels and rolls, Cream cheese, lox, tuna, egg salad, vegetable salad, danishes, coffee, OJ, milk, cereal (for kids), white fish, smoked white fish (asked them not to serve this the next time because no body ate it), sliced vegetables.

I was once at a fleishig bris in Ner Yisroel of Baltimore (I think they only allow meaty bris in the yeshiva building) but for the ladies they served pareve.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics