Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Spin off: What do you serve at a brit?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

What do you serve at a brit?
dairy  
 63%  [ 51 ]
pareve  
 3%  [ 3 ]
meaty  
 32%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 80

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:30 pm
My husband is makpid on fleishig because it's a seudas mitzvah.

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:37 pm
Fleishig, lunchtime-ish bris, home catered by family for about 50 people at the meal (no idea how many people were there overall, just how many sat)
There is an inyan to have meat as a seudas mitzva. Unless you dont "hold" that way and will have dairy at a regular shabbos or yomtov meal too.
For the record, we eat meat motzei yom kippur (it is supposed to be a yomtov-style meal) and on shavuos as well.

blueberries

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 11:14 pm
We made the Bris after Shachris so we served a breakfast meal. Bagels cheese etc.

cholenteater

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 11:14 pm
Milchig breakfast bris- catered. with bagels rolls spreads cream cheese lox spread ect. Tuna fish egg salad kugel, lox, whitefish and smoked salmon (which is also lox? It looked different) salad cut up veggies juice and cake cookies rugelach... my father covered the expenses with my in laws chipping in. My father went out more then I expected. He was ecstatic that "my baby had a baby!!!" I'm not the youngest but I'm definitely loved:)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 2:36 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Shabbat, in Israel many people (most?) have the brit in the afternoon, and it is definitely besari. At least the sefaradim/mizrachim do it this way.

Most brits I have been to (in Israel) have been in small halls, besari catering. A few were catered morning affairs (dairy breakfast).
Sorry, I meant the britot that I have been to have been that. Of course others do differently, but the ones that I have been to. Sorry for the confusion.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 2:38 am
kiryat sefer wrote:
One is supposed to have meat by the bris. I read this in a sefer-pamphlet from the well known mohel reb ahron meyer hes a belzer chossid from boro park. He brings a few proofs that if you want the child to grow up to be a nachas one should serve meat. And he brings a story of how a boy couldnt learn well because they didnt have it
So are you really saying that anyone who had dairy or pareve at their son's britot donthave nachat from their sons? And that they wont or didnt learn well. Please, that is a bunch of narishkeit.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 3:23 am
Our first was pepper steak and another meat, and a bunch of salads (Don't remember exactly)
The second was Israeli standard- salads and dips, bureka/blintz, rice and shnitzel/chicken. There was dessert, but I don't remember what it was.

We had both noontime close to Yeshiva. Best decision. I was well rested and had time to nurse at the right time, put on makeup, etc. The kids had a half day of gan, I brought a bag for each of them with a full outfit including hair bows, Handed one to each and sent them with my mom to the bathroom to dress them.

We would have had meat anyways, it's a seudas mitzva.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 3:33 am
LOL! I really need to get to bed. I read this as "What do you serve TO a Brit", and was thinking that you were working on a menu for a British guest for Shabbos.

If anyone is wondering, I have a full menu planned! DH is British. LOL

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 4:01 am
You didn't give the option of 2 different things for 2 different britot.

DS#1 had a basari (meats, salads, soup, veggies) brit at lunchtime (someone, we won't mention names, did not call the mohel right away and he was busy in the morning already).

DS#2 had a chalavi (Holy Bagel) brit in the morning.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 7:08 am
There are chassidishe customs to have fish and/or meat. Read bris secrets by rav meisels.

A yekke rav told us a yekke bris is fleishik traditionnally.

There are all kinds of customs, to each their own. To us it made sense to have at least fish or fleis, as a seudas mitsva. Especially as it was on shabbes, but still.

Motherlee

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:22 am
Back in the States in would be the standard dairy fare, in shul after davening.

Here in the Holy Land, it's catered besari in a hall, in the afternoon.

I actually loved my ds's bris in Israel. It actually felt like a simcha, not a classy brunch. Everyone is al dressed up and it's a festive mood.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:46 am
In most cases, it appears that it's all a function of the time of the day that one holds a bris.
In America one usually has a bris right after shacharis as most people work and thus as working men they can't take off in order to go to a midday or early afternoon or even late afternoon bris. So even among other groups where people don't work, it became the norm to have a morning bris.

At 8 AM or even 9 AM it is doubtful that many people would serve meat of any kind. Hence the American custom among most to have a milchig bris.

In EY it is not customary to have the bris after shacharis, except possibly on a shabbos. I've never seen a morning bris here except among American olim who don't know better. I would bet that almost every old-time Israeli has taken off at 2 PM in their life to go to a bris in his/her life...and at 2PM your average diblet most definitely wants a fleishig meal, not only sefaradim.

Sure, you now have the fineshmekery modern who serve sushi and drinks at a bris but it's not common and certainly not among religious people. Our grandchildren all had fleishig brisses in sit down places.

Now as Frantic wrote, what to serve to a Brit? They don't have any taste anyhow, british food is bland and awful other than their custards (I have whole posts on that one, how even with the new laws once upon a time the security people at Heathrow allowed me to go onto a plane with a big (giant actually) cup of custard as I claimed that I NEVER go ANYWHERE without my BRITISH CUSTARD (in the perfect accent, I'm a good mimic) and ESPECIALLY not onto this HEATHEN AIRLINE to the MIDDLE EAST...

Needless to say that in spite of the fact that one can take only 100 ml or less in liquids and pastes on to the plane from Heathrow, the security bowed and of course let me take my 800 ML GIANT CUP of Vanilla British Custard on to the Plane to Tel Aviv....(and I enjoyed every bite...ah for the good old days when I could eat such dr@ck and get away with it healthwise...)

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 9:17 am
Every bris seuda I've been to in EY has been in the morning Wink And about 80% of them have been holy bagel milchigs, and the rest fleishig (either shnitzel etc. catered or cold cuts and rolls). We just made a bris and had cold cuts, rolls, cut up fruit, veg, dips, rogelach. By the time the bris was over it was about 9 or 10am (rosh chodesh davening took a while) and even the women were tucking into the cold cuts. We had fleishigs because of the minhag that a seudas mitzvah should have meat, and shnitzel in the morning seems a big euch. I was happy with how it turned out Smile

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 9:20 am
this brit likes almost any food. Except pickles, olives and herrings. I'm really not fussy. Especially if someone else cooked it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 9:47 am
freidasima wrote:
In most cases, it appears that it's all a function of the time of the day that one holds a bris.
In America one usually has a bris right after shacharis as most people work and thus as working men they can't take off in order to go to a midday or early afternoon or even late afternoon bris. So even among other groups where people don't work, it became the norm to have a morning bris.

At 8 AM or even 9 AM it is doubtful that many people would serve meat of any kind. Hence the American custom among most to have a milchig bris.

In EY it is not customary to have the bris after shacharis, except possibly on a shabbos. I've never seen a morning bris here except among American olim who don't know better. I would bet that almost every old-time Israeli has taken off at 2 PM in their life to go to a bris in his/her life...and at 2PM your average diblet most definitely wants a fleishig meal, not only sefaradim.

Sure, you now have the fineshmekery modern who serve sushi and drinks at a bris but it's not common and certainly not among religious people. Our grandchildren all had fleishig brisses in sit down places.

Now as Frantic wrote, what to serve to a Brit? They don't have any taste anyhow, british food is bland and awful other than their custards (I have whole posts on that one, how even with the new laws once upon a time the security people at Heathrow allowed me to go onto a plane with a big (giant actually) cup of custard as I claimed that I NEVER go ANYWHERE without my BRITISH CUSTARD (in the perfect accent, I'm a good mimic) and ESPECIALLY not onto this HEATHEN AIRLINE to the MIDDLE EAST...

Needless to say that in spite of the fact that one can take only 100 ml or less in liquids and pastes on to the plane from Heathrow, the security bowed and of course let me take my 800 ML GIANT CUP of Vanilla British Custard on to the Plane to Tel Aviv....(and I enjoyed every bite...ah for the good old days when I could eat such dr@ck and get away with it healthwise...)
FS, my yishuv, BH has many britot and I have never heard of one in the afternoon. I know they exist. I actually was one in the afternoon in flatbush, many many years ago. But here, the britot that I have been to, anglo or israeli have all been in the morning after shacharit.

syrima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 9:50 am
one morning bagels and lox bris, and one Pesach bris with matzoh, potato kugel, and cold cuts!

ps- they both learn well, bli ayin harah!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 10:42 am
I've seen mostly morning britot and I'm not English at all and also not Israeli. Seen it from frei to charedi. In fact I rarely hear of afternoon brit.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 10:48 am
There is definitely an inyan to do a Brit early in the day due to "zrizin makdimin lemitzvot."

etky

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
FS, my yishuv, BH has many britot and I have never heard of one in the afternoon. I know they exist. I actually was one in the afternoon in flatbush, many many years ago. But here, the britot that I have been to, anglo or israeli have all been in the morning after shacharit.

Same here - but there is also a reason for this if you think about it.
We live in bedrooom communities. People generally make their britot here because it is more convenient to do it close to home and also much cheaper than in a hall in the city. OTOH the people who attend the brit have to get to work and will not come back home at midday or 2 for a brit. If you're making a brit here you have to do it in the morning before people leave town for work in the city.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:09 am
I have actually never heard of a non morning bris until now. Live and learn.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics