Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get my 10 month old interested in solids?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:08 pm
Has anyone experienced this? How did it turn out? Any advice?

My 10 month old has been exclusively breast feeding until now and I have been trying to start her on solids over the past few days. When I put the baby spoon in her mouth she doesn't seem to dislike the flavour of the pureed food I'm giving her but she doesn't have much interest in it. At first I thought I had chosen a not so good time when she wasn't hungry. Today I realized she was still interested in nursing after solids so it's not that she was full just not interested. When I put the spoon in her mouth she opens her mouth a little, some of the food gets in, she maybe takes in a touch and the rest ends up under her bottom lip. Then she swats at the spoon with her hand, tries to grab it and chew on it. I gave her her own spoon but it didn't improve anything. It seems to me that she thinks I'm playing a game with her that has little to do with eating. I had a very different experience with my previous child when I started her this way so would appreciate any insight you would have. Is it just a matter of letting her get used it? How long would that take?...etc...

TIA

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:13 pm
You don't have to spoon feed at all. Let her get used to food by feeding herself. Put bits of banana, avocado, cooked sweet potato, pasta etc in front of her and let her play with it and put whatever she wants in her mouth. At this point she is getting all her nutrition from breast milk anyway, you just want her to get used to different tastes and textures. No spoon necessary Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics