Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pools - is this safe?

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:02 pm
Is it safe to leave the water in our backyard pool for a few days or are there any risks of infection of any kind etc? We are not using chlorine or anything like that. This is a new pool and quite a decent size, so it took over two hours to fill it with the hose! I dont want to empty it every night if I dont have to . Does anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:03 pm
I wouldn't leave standing water like that for days. Is their a way you can chlorinate it if you don't want to empty it? Animals can take a bath in it. children can pee in it. It cam become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:08 pm
Do you have a pool cover? It will attract mosquitoes. What about a locked gate around it? It's a huge drowning hazard.

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:11 pm
octopus wrote:
I wouldn't leave standing water like that for days. Is their a way you can chlorinate it if you don't want to empty it? Animals can take a bath in it. children can pee in it. It cam become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

thanks. so how long would you leave it filled for?

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:12 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Do you have a pool cover? It will attract mosquitoes. What about a locked gate around it? It's a huge drowning hazard.

that's a good point, thanks.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:13 pm
boysrus wrote:
thanks. so how long would you leave it filled for?

I empty my pool every day that I use it.

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 11:36 pm
octopus wrote:
I empty my pool every day that I use it.

right, so that s what we used to do with our old pool as a matter of course, but this one is so much bigger and takes so long to fill that I wondered if we really had to empty it every day. my kids are in every day for a couple of hours, they are not in camp.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 1:24 am
They sell floating chlorine dispensers like this http://www.amazon.com/Large-Ca.....float
You can buy a container with chlorine tablets, put in one at a time and leave it floating in the pool.
I would say you also need a pool cover. They are not very expensive and come in different sizes so you should be able to find one that works.
You should probably still pour out the water once a week or so, or else it gets dirty. There are products you can buy to clean the water, but I don't know what you need for your size pool. Is it an above ground pool or just a large kiddy pool?

Barbara

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 2:38 am
boysrus wrote:
Is it safe to leave the water in our backyard pool for a few days or are there any risks of infection of any kind etc? We are not using chlorine or anything like that. This is a new pool and quite a decent size, so it took over two hours to fill it with the hose! I dont want to empty it every night if I dont have to . Does anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA

http://www.poolsolutions.com/g......html

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 3:35 am
A pool that takes 2 hours to fill should have a filter, chlorine and a PH-regulating chemical otherwise it becomes a breeding ground for all kinds of gross things. Do make sure to keep it gated and locked.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 3:59 am
5*Mom wrote:
A pool that takes 2 hours to fill should have a filter, chlorine and a PH-regulating chemical otherwise it becomes a breeding ground for all kinds of gross things. Do make sure to keep it gated and locked.

This. You need to buy all of the above. I've never seen them sell a pool that size without a filter, etc.

ally

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 12:07 pm
Please please make sure your kids do not have any way to access the pool alone. It must be in an area that is gated.
Do not underestimate them.
It takes only a few minutes and you will not hear a thing.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 12:49 pm
ally wrote:
Please please make sure your kids do not have any way to access the pool alone. It must be in an area that is gated.
Do not underestimate them.
It takes only a few minutes and you will not hear a thing.

The neighbors' kids should also have no way to access it.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 5:52 pm
I have an Intext 8ft pool. It takes about 20 minutes to fill. I keep it filled for 4 days straight, with a tarp over it. I was told by a doctor to pour in bleach and that it will kill germs but not harmful if swallowed.
I don;t know how big your pool is, maybe your hose is slower. You should at least put in bleach or that chlorine floating device posted by glutenless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics