Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Rude or oblivious?

Do you think more people are rude or oblivious?
rude  
 12%  [ 7 ]
oblivious  
 87%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 58

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 12:30 pm
Do you think more people are rude or oblivious?

When you encounter someone being rude, whether what they're saying or acting, do you think they're doing it because they are rude or just oblivious either to their surroundings or social etiquette?

I live in a very busy area and people are always doing things that I consider rude like stopping in middle of the sidewalk while walking, not moving to the side, or people are blocking the path and see someone coming, but don't move as they approach. There are more examples, but that's enough. I say that most of these people are oblivious to their surroundings, or at least I hope. At least it helps me get through the day Rolling Eyes . Truth be told, I get sick and tired of it, that I sometimes do it just to be rude. If you can't fight 'em, join 'em!

I didn't add other to the poll because I'm not giving that as a choice. I know there are plenty of people that are neither, but I mean as a whole.

pumpernickle

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 2:41 pm
I used to think the best of everyone and always DLZ. Until I came here and realized that people arent as oblivious as they seem and some people are just downright rude.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 3:10 pm
My feeling, especially given the examples you gave, is how do they react when you mention it to them. For example, I was in the store today, and a woman stopped right in front of me, and I couldn't get by. I said, "Excuse me," and she said, "Oh, I'm so sorry," and moved aside. That's pretty clear to me that she just wasn't paying attention.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 3:23 pm
I think they're oblivious. Which is rude.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:14 am
I'd like to think oblivious because it's better for my blood pressure.
Yo'ma, do you think that some of this is a cultural thing?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Yo'ma, do you think that some of this is a cultural thing?

No idea! Do things like that happen in nyc? I notice the big difference is, in manhattan, everyone is always moving (and sidewalks are wider).

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:26 am
I think they don't realize what they are doing. Sometimes it makes me mad- people stop in middle of a busy street to shmooze, carts in middle of an aisle to get something, etc. I'll just stand there and say excuse me loud until they move.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 4:34 pm
It depends what they are doing.
The kind of things you listed are more obliviously rude. Definitely cultural.
In NY people block the streets, paths, sidewalks, and don't even try and move when you ask, they kinda just expect you to go around them.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 4:36 pm
Teenager's rule of thumb: If YOU are being rude to me, it's cuz you are rude. If I am being rude to you, it's because I'm oblivious.
debs

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 4:44 pm
I had a mile and a half mile walk from my job to my college classes--from the East side to the west side and down town a bit... At any rate I got sick & tired of being pushed around on my trek to class so I bought a GOLF UMBRELLA for when it rained...

I LOVED rainy days because I created a HUGE amount of personal space for me...

As I rushed down the sidewalk people would shout:
Hey
Watch it!
Whats wrong with you?
Are you crazy?

But I always arrived to class nice and dry and nobody touched me.

Was that rude?
Probably.

But it made up for all the dry weather days when random strangers knocked into mercilessly for blocks and blocks and blocks...

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:09 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I think they're oblivious. Which is rude.

I was going to say this.

Being oblivious, especially in a public space (like stopping in the middle of a sidewalk or aisle at the grocery store or leaving your car parked in a way that ruins another spot or makes it impossible for someone else to get in/out of their car or move their car out of their spot) is rude. The world doesn't revolve around you.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:21 pm
allrgymama wrote:
I was going to say this.

Being oblivious, especially in a public space (like stopping in the middle of a sidewalk or aisle at the grocery store or leaving your car parked in a way that ruins another spot or makes it impossible for someone else to get in/out of their car or move their car out of their spot) is rude. The world doesn't revolve around you.

I don't agree.
Oblivious is just that. Oblivious. You're not thinking.
Rude means you are being not nice intentionally.
I'm not saying it's good to be oblivious, but if you're not thinking it doesn't make you rude, just spaced out, careless, etc..

I guess I feel this way because I am like that. I am a spacey kind of person and can do a lot of things that other people might consider rude. But it's because I'm oblivious. As in, totally not thinking. I definitely do not think the world revolves around me. It's just that I don't always think at all.
I consider myself not smart or intelligent. I think it might have to do with that but I can't be 100% sure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette