Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Issue with services (EI/CPSE)

amother

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 1:24 pm
I am moving to Long Island from the city at the end of the month. I have a child who will be starting CPSE in the fall. This was approved by the city 6 months ago, and I have already transferred the case to Nassau County- as soon as we move and can give them proof of residency, he will be set to start receiving CPSE beginning September 2. The issue is the month of August. He turned 3 a few months ago, but EI extends till August 31. The city won't let him continue there once we've moved, but Nassau says they can't give him EI for just a month. He cannot go a month without services, that would be absolutely detrimental to his progress. We are willing to privately pay his current therapists for just the month (it's not that much, he sees one of them 2x30 and the other 1x30), but he also goes to a center for 2 hours 3 days a week, and frankly, the center has contributing the most to his progress, they've been amazing. But I have a terrible feeling it would be very expensive, even for just a month. Are there any other options, or should we just stick with the one on one therapy and hope for the best?

goforit

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 1:51 pm
Try to call your local bicker chollim or agudath Israel Mrs Steinberg project learn.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 4:58 pm
You can try to get some services through insurance/medicaid for the month of august.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 5:43 pm
It's a hard situation but keep in mind that from now on there WILL be gaps in services as cpse takes breaks and vacations. Even a child with a 12 month iep has 2-4 weeks total off during the summer.

We had a gap between EI and cpse because we had to early admit my dd to cpse (she turned 3 in October) and they would not approve summer services for her that summer. I worked with her. She went to a camp (not sure if your child could do well in a typical camp)

I see you are moving to Nassau. Contact chabad NOW and see if friendship circle camp goes during any of the time you need covered. It's not as intense as getting services but its around people and in groups and at this age social is a BIG part of what they are teaching. (If you need the contact info pm me)

And this might sound harsh but missing a few therapies might be nuts over a month but with only 1x30 and 2x30 there is probably a LOT of follow through you can do at home. Go to museums. If its speech do some of the games you have seen the therapist play. Work on Ot (shaving cream, rice container with toys in it, coloring, finger paint etc) communicating and talking him through it every step.

As I said I totally get gaps being annoying and you can always contact an advocate to help you try and get services for August but I am guessing they will say its not worth it. We have all had gaps at times it's just part of the annoyance.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 6:06 pm
Thanks Split Pea. His delays are on the milder side and he goes to a regular camp and manages ok (thanks to the progress he's made at the center he goes to in the afternoons). That center has really been great. Also, his therapists see him in camp, which helps a lot. I do follow through at home of course. If we have to lose the center, so be it, I think I would still rather pay for therapy for a few weeks so he has at least some continuity. He is starting at Gesher in the fall.

bnm

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 7:25 pm
my son's center is finishing on August 15, school restarts September 4/5 and they had a 2 week break between school and summer. pretend you have that and don't feel guilty. We also had a hard time finding a replacement therapist since he ages out August 31 and his SI 2x30 went to the country. she left end of June and today was his first session with the new one. gaps are HARD. I sent him to the babysitter for a few days so he can have structure (she runs a toddler group) we went to the park etc. He sorely missed his ot, no matter how much sensory imput I provided.

Ashrei

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 10:11 pm
Can you just pretend to the city that you didn't move and shlep him in to the center based program every day for the 1 month?

imasinger

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 10:12 pm
I agree, the gap seems to happen everywhere.

You can ask therapists for activities you can do at home to keep things up over the break. Many OT's and ST's maintain lists for this purpose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics