Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Challah Board

allrgymama

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:06 pm
Does anyone know where I can find either a marble challah board (like what is sold in Israel) or silver one with a wooden insert?

Preferably someplace local (either Lakewood or Brooklyn area) or someplace that had a site where I can see pictures? I'm not having a lot of luck looking on-line.

TIA!

groovy1224

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:10 pm
Did you try Eichlers? They have lots of challah boards on their website. The store's in Flatbush.

allrgymama

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:34 pm
Thank you; I did. They mostly have the silver/wood ones with a glass cover (which is not what I'm looking for) or multi-colored wood ones; again, not what I need.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 12:12 am
allrgymama wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find either a marble challah board (like what is sold in Israel) or silver one with a wooden insert?

Preferably someplace local (either Lakewood or Brooklyn area) or someplace that had a site where I can see pictures? I'm not having a lot of luck looking on-line.

TIA!

I'm going to guess this is out of your price range

http://cblfineart.com/shop/luv......html

What about this?

http://www.worldofjudaica.com/.....ssing

Or these?

http://www.judaicakingdom.com/.....ards/

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 12:40 pm
Maybe someone can explain to me the inexplicable recent style (OK, maybe to you the past 20 years isn't "recent", but to me it is) of making challah "boards" that are completely impractical? It's all about looking fancy and to heck with practicality. The boards cost a fortune and the knives are pieces of junk. Stone, ceramic or glass are all murder on knives (I'm just cringeing at the thought of using a granite cutting surface, shown in the third link) , which is why chefs use wood or plastic cutting boards, both of which are resilient and kind to knife blades. So you spend a mint on a fancy piece of art work, and couple it with either a good knife that you will soon ruin, or a crummy knife that does a poor job of slicing. What's the sense in that?

Maybe after Shabbat you could use a stone challah board as a whetstone to sharpen the knife you made dull by cutting on its surface, though that seems like a poor way to treat a work of art.

allrgymama

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 1:40 pm
Well. That's both unkind, unhelpful and judge mental

And to answer the question, it's to do something l'kvod the Shabbos table. Polishing silver candlesticks, salt cellar, cutlery or napkin holder isn't practical either, but everyone I know does it. Neither is it practical to have more expensive Shabbos dishes, crystal glasses or even Shabbos clothes.

It costs $5 and takes 5 min to have a nice sharpened at a silver store. Well worth the time and money in my opinion to have something nicer on the table.

SingALong

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:19 pm
Try trendsettings or noir gifts in Lakewood. I don't know if they have the exact style u wrote about but I think they have a selection of challah boards

lovingmother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:21 pm
Just in case - I have a gorgeous challah board I would love to get rid of. Never been used. It's not what you're looking for but maybe you want to look at a picture anyway? The ends are marble and the board itself is sturdy glass with colored glass picture of the shivas haminim. And it says shabbos kodesh in colored glass

allrgymama

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 9:25 pm
It's a theoretical anniversary present for my husband; what he requested.

We already have one of the mahogany ones with a silver center and glass cover.

Sure; send me a picture.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 5:28 pm
allrgymama wrote:
Well. That's both unkind, unhelpful and judge mental

And to answer the question, it's to do something l'kvod the Shabbos table. Polishing silver candlesticks, salt cellar, cutlery or napkin holder isn't practical either, but everyone I know does it. Neither is it practical to have more expensive Shabbos dishes, crystal glasses or even Shabbos clothes.

It costs $5 and takes 5 min to have a nice sharpened at a silver store. Well worth the time and money in my opinion to have something nicer on the table.

I'm not criticizing OP; I'm criticizing the designers. If you're an artist designing klei kodesh, you have a certain responsibility to make them usable. I don't know anyone who has a glass, stone or ceramic challah board who is really happy with it. Maybe you do; that's great. I for one don't have a knife sharpening shop anywhere near where I live or work.

If you're designing something to be solely decorative, you should state somewhere that it is intended to be ornamental and not intended to be used. These challah boards are less like silver candlesticks--which work very well even if tarnished--than like the beautiful but useless Chanukiyot that are made of materials that are not flameproof, or the absolutely stunning one of pale stone that I didn't buy because I knew that the first spill of oil or drip of wax would stain it forever.

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 5:52 pm
For what it's worth, I am the OP and I felt criticized.

I have a challah board with a glass cover now. I'm very happy with it. I think it's beautiful and I think most of the styles are, too. We've been using it for six years, since we got married. Yes, there is a small corner that broke, but that's because someone was careless with it - someone was careless with my candlesticks two years and dented the cup and I was careless with my husbands menorah and dented the base.

Both needed repairs, just like the challah board, theoretically, could use repairs. But the candlesticks and menorah weren't usable when dented (trust me) and the challah board is useable with the corner missing.

My husband said that this is what he wanted for an anniversary gift, or I never would have thought of replacing what I have; I would have simply replaced the glass cover.

Edit: I don't know where you live, but any silver store that sells challah knives should provide a sharpening service, and so should most hardware stores - if you ask.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:13 pm
Whilst talking about challah boards, may I take this opportunity to ask all of if perhaps someone can help me. EICHLERS used to sell a plain transparent plastic challah board with a picture of two candles and a challah on it, they were absolutely fantastic boards! I have searched all over for them with no luck, anyone have a clue where they could be purchased?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:25 pm
A lot of these boards I think can be flipped for the actual slicing.
So the pretty side is shown for the table setting and bracha and it is then flipped for the cutting.
And even then I think cutting on marble 3 times a week will take a long time to ruin a knife.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:43 pm
I have this one and there's nothing wrong with my knife....we aren't slicing hard back and forth on the board anyhow. Does anyone do that? Challah is soft not hard and tough to cut.

It's meant as a cheese board but it's a jewish artist so it's sold as a challah board in judaica stores.
http://www.galleryjudaica.com/.....+Aram

Anon because I don't know anyone else with this board Wink

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:03 pm
We actually looked at that one; it's beautiful!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:35 pm

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics