Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How many skirts do you own?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:36 pm
This might sound like a weird question, but I was sorting through my closet last week and realized that I owned 20 skirts.

My friends told me that this is a crazy number (way too many).
So I wanted to ask a broader public.

It's not that I own a ton of everything, it just seems to be that I'm mostly buying skirts lately (since then I have 2 new ones).

And I'm not rich, just like fashion and skirts Smile.
Please don't bash or make fun of me, this is a genuine question.

Do you think this is a normal amount?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:41 pm
More than I can possibly count ... I have hefty bags full of them cluttering my garbage . Most of them are out of style or dont fit anymore Sad

But do you realize that many Lakewood ladies only have 3 or 4 good skirts, but spend more on hosiery than they do on the mortgage

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
More than I can possibly count ... I have hefty bags full of them cluttering my garbage . Most of them are out of style or dont fit anymore Sad

But do you realize that many Lakewood ladies only have 3 or 4 good skirts, but spend more on hosiery than they do on the mortgage

Op here, I meant wearable skirts.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:21 pm
Infinite. Many more than 20. More like 80 or 100.

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:37 pm
superdanni wrote:

Me too. At least you work.

LOL I asked my husband today about making one of our bathrooms into a closet.

spinkles

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:38 pm
4 that I wear regularly. A bunch that don't fit anymore. Plus a few shmatte skirts for exercising or cleaning.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:40 pm
wearable skirts?
weekday, shabbos and wedding 6 skirts in total.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:42 pm
Oh my.
I own 6-8 I'd say, summer, winter, work, fancy. Maybe another 3 or so that I keep for nostalgia purposes.
Then about 4-5 dresses. Including things I wore to my kids' bar mitzvot.
And pants, I wear them too, own about 8 pairs, including 3-4 exercise pants.
And I never felt my wardrobe was lacking. What would I do with 100 skirts? They'd gather dust before I got around to wearing them!

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:44 pm
That fit me at the present second? 2 that are black and short and nice-ish, 1 that is dark blue, also short and nice-ish, but I don't wear it because it needs to be checked for Shatnez and I'm too lazy (got all 3 at a really good sale, so it wasn't so expensive. 1 or 2 that are black and long and casual. 1 flowery skirt that I need to find a good top to wear with.

I mostly wear tops that go with black skirts.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:01 pm
Yes, I meant wearable skirts. Not dresses, or whatever. I have obtained 22 in the last 2 years. (I lost weight)

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:21 pm
Hmmm...let me think.

1 denim skirt I wear all year long
1 lightweight everyday black skirt
1 corduroy everyday black skirt
2 shabbos black skirts
1 wedding black skirt
1 black and white summer skirt
1 black and grey winter skirt
1 slinky black skirt I wear for cooking/cleaning
Plus a few skirts I don't wear anymore for various reasons.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:38 pm
6 week day (two of those are only for winter)
4 shabbat

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:53 pm
Sort of wearable? One denim shmatta for around the house, one crisp denim for days off, five for weekday, of which three are really wintry but I wear two of them in summer anyway because two skirts is just too few when you work, plus three for shul that are skirt suits that are also sort of wintry but I wear year-round.

Then there are about a dozen more in an array of sizes that don't fit but I keep around because hope springs eternal. At whatever size, I seldom have more than five or six for work and one for days off. The bigger problem is having too few shirts.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:56 pm
80 or 100? do you wear them all? maybe you could consider donating some of them Smile

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:21 pm
Ruchel wrote:
80 or 100? do you wear them all? maybe you could consider donating some of them Smile

I wear most. That's total: summer and winter, every day (work) and Shabbos. I'm a big skirt and top person (don't wear dresses, except maybe to a wedding. I have a lot because I wear clothes for years. I have skirts that I bought 10 years ago, and still wear them.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:45 pm
superdanni wrote:

Unless your lifestyle requires you to change clothes several times a day, this means you wear each skirt at most around 4 times a year. Don't you think you could contribute some of those skirts to a tzedakah organization and let some needy women have the use of them? If I were a skirt, I wouldn't want to be worn only 4 times a year unless I were a very snooty special-occasion skirt.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
wearable skirts?
weekday, shabbos and wedding 6 skirts in total.

Just wanted to add that having only 6 skirts s not a financial decision bh. Its the result of having an impossible to fit body

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
Unless your lifestyle requires you to change clothes several times a day, this means you wear each skirt at most around 4 times a year. Don't you think you could contribute some of those skirts to a tzedakah organization and let some needy women have the use of them? If I were a skirt, I wouldn't want to be worn only 4 times a year unless I were a very snooty special-occasion skirt.

I do occasionally sort through my clothes (and shoes) and make donations to gamach. The skirts that I have I wear and have worn for years. I don't actually remember the last time I bought a new one (I'd guess over a year ago) I'm not a person who buys new clothes for each season or yom tov, and I only buy on sale, so I kind of buy when I see a metziah. Many (most) of my skirts are from sample sales and cost $15 each. I also often shop at my local Goodwill where I find fabulous skirts for $10-$20 each as well. I am not hard on my clothes (I Change out of them immediately when I get home) and rarely send them to the dry cleaners. I literally wear my stuff for years and years on end, paying no mind to trends or current styles.

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 6:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:

I have a few with tags still on from last summer. I wore almost all the others this past year. This thread and the fact I want to convert a bathroom into a walk in has got me thinking I should cull my closet.

I change several times a day. I start the day usually in a long skirt in my house. I change into a gym skirt for exercise. I then change into another outfit to go about my day outside the house. That's three skirts a day. On Friday not a 4th outfit is necessary. I generally change twice on Shabbos.

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 6:09 pm
superdanni wrote:
I do occasionally sort through my clothes (and shoes) and make donations to gamach. The skirts that I have I wear and have worn for years. I don't actually remember the last time I bought a new one (I'd guess over a year ago) I'm not a person who buys new clothes for each season or yom tov, and I only buy on sale, so I kind of buy when I see a metziah. Many (most) of my skirts are from sample sales and cost $15 each. I also often shop at my local Goodwill where I find fabulous skirts for $10-$20 each as well. I am not hard on my clothes (I Change out of them immediately when I get home) and rarely send them to the dry cleaners. I literally wear my stuff for years and years on end, paying no mind to trends or current styles.

Where do you keep them? Do you have a giant walk in?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics