Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How many skirts do you own?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:05 am
About 30, also accumulated over years and years. Nice jean skirts eventually get demoted to exercise jean skirts, which eventually get demoted to yard work....It is hard to find flattering skirts, if I see one on sale, I buy it. Very rarely more than 3 per year. I do a lot of online shopping for tops, but skirts I really need to try on first. Hence, the slow rate of accumulation.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:21 am
6 skirts that fit me. I am much more in to buying tops b/c I tend to wear black skirts.

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 4:41 pm
I have quite a few embarrassed ... Some from the store and lots from the gemach or value village (nice stuff can be found for under $10)

I do change several times a day because it makes me feel good and in control . I have a baby and messy toddler and a special needs child so I get DIRTY ,staying dirty would make me feel like I am letting myself go .

Now... As I type , my adorable cobalt blue stretchy pencil skirt has been soiled by my adorable daughter spitting yogurt my way ,I have greek yougurt on my eyelashes! LOL

I don't have a walk in closet but I have my small closet set with 3 shower rods and my tops are kept in a chest of drawers . DH has a small ikea closet since he kindly donated his space to my stuff . Wink

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:17 pm
Barbara wrote:
And you didn't invite me?

I work, and I don't like repeating things in a two week period, plus a few extras, plus suits for court. And extra casual things for vacations and the like. Winter and summer.

[b]Those of you who only own 3 or 4 skirts, do you wear wool and tweed in the summer? Flowery things in the winter[/b]?

I've built my wardrobe over the years. So the skirt I wore to run errands this morning is 4 or 5 years old. The skirt I changed into for a BBQ was from last year. And lots of things are older than that.

And I have a tiny closet.

Barbara, people who own so few skirts due to financial reasons (like me) don't have the luxury of buying seasonal skirts (generally). We shop with that in mind. So my skirts are cotton and I can wear them all year long.

Same with shoes. I can't buy one light pink, one tan, one white pair of shoes, etc. that will only be good for a few months. Usually I do buy one summer pair but I do know many women who only buy black standard shoes that are appropriate for every season.

I guess tops are different because having a warm sweater will truly keep you warmer than a light tee in the winter. And you just can't wear a warm top in the summer. What you wear on top makes more of a difference in your temp than what you wear on bottom.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:23 pm
Yes. I only have one skirt and I would only buy black that I can wear all year round and for every type of occasion. Same for shoes: I would only buy black. I have a couple of tops that are more seasonal, but some I also wear all year round.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:

I guess tops are different because having a warm sweater will truly keep you warmer than a light tee in the winter. And you just can't wear a warm top in the summer. What you wear on top makes more of a difference in your temp than what you wear on bottom.

Yep. The only skirt I don't wear in midsummer is my corduroy one, though it's not really any hotter than the other ones, because corduroy screams "winter". But my all-polyester blouses stay in the closet from May thru September because wearing them would be about as pleasant as wearing a Baggie. So I'm wearing the same handful of cotton blouses over and over and over. Even I'm getting tired of them.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:27 pm
Ok so all the women who have so many nice skirts ( aside from typical black or slinky) where do u find tznius straight skirts that cover the knees well, and aren't pencil style ( thighs r too pudgey for that). And no maxi skirts- hate those.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:41 pm
JCpenney makes them, sometimes NY & Co....Jcrew and Banana makes longer pencil skirts, but those are more fitted

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:16 pm
I probably have close to 45-50 skirts, but they aren't all wearable currently and they definitely were not bought in the recent past. With the exception on during and shortly after my pregnancies, I'm roughly the same size as I was in high school. I bought a large number of beautiful Shabbos skirts in high school, seminary, and college because I was working in an environment that needed proper clothes, a-hard-to-find-size, and my parents subsidized my wardrobe. On top of that, my mother is one of those unbelievable shoppers that manages to walk out of any store with a $60 dress for 10.99, so she had a hard time when we literally could never find me clothes that fit properly, and so if we found something that fit, my mother had me buy it in two colors.

Probably something like 70% of my skirts came from that time.

The remaining were purchased once I joined the working world. I need skirts that can sit on the floor with children and then transition into speaking with a potential new client, skirts with pockets, a skirt for a job interview, a skirt that is warm enough to wear on the subway in the middle of winter during a polar vortex, a skirt that is cool enough to wear during 100% humidity and 89 degree heat while working outside....

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:30 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Ok so all the women who have so many nice skirts ( aside from typical black or slinky) where do u find tznius straight skirts that cover the knees well, and aren't pencil style ( thighs r too pudgey for that). And no maxi skirts- hate those.

I found great ones at LLBean. They also sell them at the outlet They are long enough that you can wear knee highs without ever having a problem. I bought them in several colors and I wear them year round.

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:16 pm
I differ between: 'How many skirts do you own' to 'How many skirts do you wear on a regular basis'?

jeweled

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:29 pm
1 black long skirt I wear everyday to work (we have a uniform, work in a rehab department)
1 black long skirt I change into when I come home
2 long colorful skirts
2 short colorful skirts
(All purchased this year, 2 within the last week or so).

The End.

aniri

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:39 pm
I never knew how many I had untill my mother counted them last week. I have 157.

sprayonlove

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 2:09 am
I think it's perfectly normal to have 20+ skirts. I have 28 skirts.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 4:21 am
If you're referring to usable skirts, I have one weekday and one Shabbos. I have a few others that are old/too small/ripped/stained that I really should get rid of.

If any of you who own 100+ are looking to get rid of one or two, I'll gladly give you my address. Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 4:27 am
For those with more than lets just say 30 skirts, dont you think its a bit obsessive? Or a bit too much? I mean, for those who have over 100 skirts, you have enough for half a year before you have to wash them. How do you wear that many?
I never heard of people with so many skirts, really.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 4:44 am
Op here. Thanks for the replies. I wanted to note that those 20 skirts were bought in the time of 2 years, I don't count my old skirts, which are too big on me, kr the ones I don't wear anymore. I meant 22 skirts I wear.
Maybe that's why my friends thought it was too much? [quote]

yo

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 4:56 am
I probably have over 40. But that includes winter and summer, shabbos and weekday - all in like 3 diferent sizes ( I lost a lot of weight last year). I know I should be geting rid of some, but then what will I do if I gain weight?

freidasima

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:17 am
I usually wear only skirts and I must have at least 50. All my clothes fit me. I make all my own clothes. It takes me exactly 10 minutes to run up a skirt on the machine and that includes taking the machine out, putting it on the dining room table, threading it, and cutting out the fabric. I make skirts out of remnants for peanuts and I make skirts for all the girls and granddaughters in the family. Also remember, I have been the same size for ages and have been making skirts for over 40 years! I still have skirts in my closet that I made in my late teens. I've always worn skirts either to my ankle or almost to the ground with a few lower calf skirts for the summer, so this isn't exactly a collection that got put together in a day. I keep my things in very good condition and on top of that, now that my mother is gone half a year ago, may she be a melitzas yosher for all of us in Gan Eden, I have her skirts as well as we were exactly the same size in everything from shoes to socks to weight to height. Just different coloring. I'm not counting her skirts right now, many of which I gave away to gemachs, but only my own. I made her skirts too actually...

Why do I need so many? well a third are summer, a third a winter and a third are in between seasons, so they are different fabrics. Meaning I usually have around 15 going at once in the closet with the others on the top of the closet (here closets can come with two hanging parts, upper and lower). Let's look at my summer skirts - I have three or four nice ones for shabbos, another three really fancy ones for chasunahs, two or three that are really old and I use them for dirty work or traveling, that's ten already. The other five are work skirts and during the summer I wouldn't wear a skirt for more than two days in a row with the heat. I have a black, blue pastel, lavender print, black yellow and maroon flowered, and turquoise with black net over it for every day. All are washable. All are elastic waist.

For the winter - same thing. All cotton velvet. Some older, some newer, some straight, some A line. Slightly A line Black, purple, emerald green, dark grey, light grey, dark marroon. Those are my weekday ones. Shabbos skirts are fancy in the same colors with matching tops, fancy being skirts cut as a circle on the ground then one adds a dropped waist so that they flare and are very comfortable. And a few old ones that I use as knock around.

I don't own any denim skirts, never likes the fabric. Only stretchy elastic fabrics like cotton velvet lycra winter skirts, that's like a stretchy velvet.

In between seasons are stretchy polyester cotton, cut on the bias.

I also own about ten pullover sweaters, twenty shells of different colors and another 15 to 20 summer pullover tops. I own a few tailored blouses (white, black, light blue) for fancy occasions but rarely wear them.

I also own around 40 different robes of different kinds for different seasons because at home I only wear robes unless people are over. Shabbos robes, cleaning robes, weekday robes...what your grandmothers used to call "house coats".

This is the accumulation of over 40 years of adult life and clothing. I like variety and as I sew and make this all myself for pennies I can also afford it. Sewing is one of my favorite hobbies.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:35 am
Freidasima, that's great!
Where do you have room for everything?
And folks, this is one more reason to move to E"Y: as a professional you'll have a lot more latitude than suit/pencil skirt in your wardrobe.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics