Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Milk and only milk

nantar

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:08 pm
My 18 month old suddenly wants milk and nothing but milk. I try to offer her food and she cries "noo, milk! Milk!" And she refuses to eat anything. She will run to the fridge and stand there crying "milk, milk!" She used to be really good about eating but this is a new thing. Her diet is now 70-80% milk it's horrible. Has anyone else experienced this?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:51 pm
Depending on the addiction, I either choose to stop buying it for a period of time, or only allow it at very specific set times (eg when wake up in morning, after nap, etc). If you choose number two the child has to have an understanding of the concept, and you have to very consistent.

miami85

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:47 pm
I've been going through a similar thing with my 2 kids (3.5 & 2) and I think it also started around 18 months. It's gotten "Better" but they can still go through almost a half gallon per day--each. They will even eat a full breakfast and then demand a bottle of milk even thought it's been less than an hour since their last one.

We've tried diluting the milk, or only giving half cups/bottles. My older son basically can go through his school day without it, but then he wants a lot when he comes home. My younger son will guzzle the half bottle and then demand more, so I dilute it--but if he sees me do it, then he demands "more" or he won't drink it (I usually just have to pour in a drop of undiluted milk and his fine with it).

I've tried saying no--but I can only deal with the tantrum so many times a day. I've tried redirecting with food, with minimal success. I've tried offering other drinks, but usually doesn't work.

I've tried getting a lock for the fridge, but the older one figured them all out. And if one gets a "baba" then most often the other will want one too.

They do eat some food, though the older one's variety leaves much to be desired. They both had low iron at one point so we've been supplementing with vitamins and pushing the food more.

All my pediatrician can say is "don't let them be picky"--yea, good one doc.

I'm also looking for advice. Sorry I'm really being helpful.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:17 am
Miami, what would happen if you stopped buying milk?

Boys3mom

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:20 am
My son did the same thing at one point, he didnt eat anything , so I would make him a protein drink ( with milk)

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:22 am
I have this too. Success began when I limited bottles to only before bedtime. The first couple of days it was horrible. They cry and carry on. They also don't understand cause/effect ("eat this and you can have milk).

But if you're strict, and limit bottles to two-three times a day, they do start eating more. Offer water in cups at meals. Have suppers where everyone eats together. Peer pressure is big. Have them grab anything they want off your plate. And if things get bad, give them and empty bottle or a bottle with water.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:31 am
nantar wrote:
My 18 month old suddenly wants milk and nothing but milk. I try to offer her food and she cries "noo, milk! Milk!" And she refuses to eat anything. She will run to the fridge and stand there crying "milk, milk!" She used to be really good about eating but this is a new thing. Her diet is now 70-80% milk it's horrible. Has anyone else experienced this?

Could she be teething and it hurts to eat?

Is she extra thirsty because of the heat?

Try to figure out if there may be an actual reason before you assume it's just a "thing."

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:15 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Miami, what would happen if you stopped buying milk?

Not really a viable option as DH and I use it for breakfast and in our coffee. Besides at less than 2 years (my younger son just turned 2) milk is still an important part of their diet so to totally deny him wouldn't be right either.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:56 am
miami85 wrote:
Not really a viable option as DH and I use it for breakfast and in our coffee. Besides at less than 2 years (my younger son just turned 2) milk is still an important part of their diet so to totally deny him wouldn't be right either.

You guys would have to take one for the team Smile Milk taking over their diets is almost certainly less healthy then milk being absent from their diets for a few weeks. Anyway, discuss with your ped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics