Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Doctor and Rabbi Disagree (fasting)
1  2  3  4  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:02 pm
I take a medication that puts a lot of strain on my liver. My doctor says that fasting and being dehydrated can be potentially life threatening, and that I MUST drink a LOT of water (not just sips), especially on hot days. I've checked around, and all medical data backs her up.

My rabbi says that I have to try to fast completely, and only when I become sick can I have any water. Obviously, my doctor doesn't want me to get sick in the first place, especially when liver failure is possible.

DH says that I should listen to my doctor, but I still feel guilty! Believe me, I'm not looking for an easy out. I would give anything to be healthy enough to fast, even if it was hard on me (migraines, etc.)

I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking here, I guess I just need to vent, and see if anyone else has been in this position.

ROFL

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:04 pm
Get a new rabbi? I agree with your doctor! Just my humble opinion !

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:05 pm
You have a responsibility to take care of the body Hashem gave you. Your Rabbi is not a doctor and should know better. Listen to your doctor.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:06 pm
For sure for anything except Yom Kippur Rabbanim are more meikil for health. Please call an expert Rav (not just rav hopping but an expert). Maybe someone on here can recommend one. Also, ask whoever you speak to about Yom Kippur and if IV is an option or drinking etc.. Refuah shelama!!

mirror

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:30 pm
You should listen to your doctor.

But if you choose to listen to your Rabbi, please get a lifeline pendant first so you can press the button to call for help if you pass out.

Even better, maybe you sit all day in the waiting room of your doctor's office so you can get help if you pass out.

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I take a medication that puts a lot of strain on my liver. My doctor says that fasting and being dehydrated can be potentially life threatening, and that I MUST drink a LOT of water (not just sips), especially on hot days. I've checked around, and all medical data backs her up.

My rabbi says that I have to try to fast completely, and only when I become sick can I have any water. Obviously, my doctor doesn't want me to get sick in the first place, especially when liver failure is possible.

DH says that I should listen to my doctor, but I still feel guilty! Believe me, I'm not looking for an easy out. I would give anything to be healthy enough to fast, even if it was hard on me (migraines, etc.)

I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking here, I guess I just need to vent, and see if anyone else has been in this position.

It's time to findd a rav who has more medical knowledge with regards to these types of shailos.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:40 pm
Quote:
My doctor says that fasting and being dehydrated can be potentially life threatening, and that I MUST drink a LOT of water (not just sips), especially on hot days. I've checked around, and all medical data backs her up.

This isn't clear enough for you? In light of this information, why is there even a question about fasting?

For medical issues, take advice from experts in medicine.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:41 pm
Your rabbi should speak with your doctor directly.

agreer

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:45 pm
This shouldn't be a problem for 17 Tammuz as its not obligatory for women.

I agree with others-consult a rav with medical knowledge for 9av and Yom Kippur. Do what he says and may you be protected.

SRS

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:46 pm
Ask a Sephardic Rabbi perhaps. My understanding is that the approach to shiurim is very different. And no guilt feelings please Smile

cfriedman2

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:03 pm
Bc ur feeling guilty- I'm gna go with the understanding that ur rav doesn't understand the severity of u fasting. Call him back and clearly explain what could happen if u do. I doubt ull be told to fast then.

If u don't get a chance to call I would deff err on caution of health and not fast.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:07 pm
Oho I know which you mean.

Don't even THINK about it. Is rabbi gonna raise your daughter if you die chvs?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:08 pm
I know on Yom Kippur the standard (if there is such a thing) Rabbinical protocol is that you take shiurim ALL. DAY. LONG. and only if you still have a problem do you consume more. I.e. drinking about 1.25 oz of water every 7 minutes, which is over 8 oz of water an hour.

I do not generally recommend going to another Rav, but in this case you most certainly should. If you doubt your Rav's understanding of the medical aspect you go to another Rav, tell him who you spoke to first, and then ask for a psak.

As the Lubavitcher Rebbe famously said, (paraphrased) "Those who permit microphone use on Shabbos either understand the halacha but not the technology, or the technology and not the halacha. As someone who understands both, a microphone is no doubt asur on Shabbos!"

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:12 pm
your rabbi seems to lack knowledge. a rabbi who knows what he is doing would never go against medical advice

Shira9

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:15 pm
There's a known fact which I think applies here as well: it doesn't take much to be a Rav and say no to e/t - anyone can do that easily! True greatness in a Rav is when he knows Halacha well enough to be able to take responsibility and tell you s/t is ok, I.e. fasting. I would say get another opinion.

bobeli

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:29 pm
I don't know your specific case, your rov, dr, etc. but I will tell you that I'm a terrible faster and I have a condition which requires food or drink every 3 hours and is worst when pregnant. After the fast the symptoms are terrible
My Dr. (jewish but not frum) said don't fast, a frum Dr. that I asked said I could fast just prepare well before (drink plenty of water 2 -3 days in advance, etc) with all that I went to my posek and he said I could fast and if I don't feel well I could eat/drink according to the shiurim, etc.. He adviced to stay in bed and not go to shul and get someone to babysit so I can save energy.
I did all that, and B"H since then I fast pretty well and I feel fine after!!
So get the medical information and go to your posek (that you trust) with your shaila, trusting that Hashem gives them ruach Hakodesh and in the merit of following the Ravs ruling you may have a refuah sheleima.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:52 am
Sometimes by the time a person gets to the " feeling so sick I need to eat stage" they are already in a danger zone.
Please please ask someone else who really understands medicine medical issues and the severity of thd consequences. Stay healthy !!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 2:04 am
OP, I am in a similar situation as I take meds for a chronic blood disorder and my Dr has said same warnings. On what basis is your Rabbi paskening? There really shouldn't be any question of whether you should be fasting except on Yom Kippur, when done correctly, drinking shiurim of water will keep you hydrated. Good luck!

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 2:21 am
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Do. Not. Fast. Do not attempt to fast. Your rav's lack of knowledge and/or false piety is putting your health in serious danger. Please find a new, knowledgeable rav in advance of Tisha B'Av because you have a serious shaila for Tisha B'Av, and Yom Kippur in fact, as well. Be well.

LisaS

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 3:32 am
It's actually common and quite natural to feel like you really really want to fast when you are told not to.

May you have a meaningful day!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note