Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Do DURABLE knee high socks for girls exist?

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:57 pm
My girls wear knee high socks around the house, usually without slippers or other shoes over them. I find most of their knee high socks get holes by the third or fourth wearing. I cannot afford to keep buying disposable socks. Is there such a thing as durable knee high socks?

Brands I've already tried:

Lands' End (wore out quickly, as described above after only a few uses)
Growing Socks (lasted longer, but the quality doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be)
Target brand (wore out quickly, as described above after only a few uses)

I've also considered the socks sold at doubleheaderusa.com, but most of them seem like thin socks you'd wear with shoes out of the house, so I'm afraid they won't stand up to abuse.

I live out-of-town, so online ideas are best for me. TIA for any leads or recommendations!

ElTam

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:55 pm
I get my girls' school socks from www.frenchtoast.com and they hold up great.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:04 am
My girls wear various brands. Many of their Target and Lands' End socks have lasted 3+ years. Something is off if your girls are wearing holes in their socks so quickly. Do they need to trim their toenails more often? Are your floors rough?

kb

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:47 am
Condor! They're expensive (about $10 last I checked, but it's been a while since then) buy they last. They're great, very comfortable, don't dig in at the knee but still stay up. I've had mine for years.

I bought mine at legaacy (spelled like that, yes) and they do ship oot. I'm also sure they're not the only store that carry them.

monseychick

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:47 am
They need to wear slippers for their feets and their socks LOL

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 6:23 am
I second condors.

imabima

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 6:48 am
Try googleing growing socks. Last forever in size and durability.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:29 am
chana_f wrote:
My girls wear various brands. Many of their Target and Lands' End socks have lasted 3+ years. Something is off if your girls are wearing holes in their socks so quickly. Do they need to trim their toenails more often? Are your floors rough?

Maybe something is off, but they don't usually have very long toenails. They frequently get holes in the heels of the socks, too, in any case. Our floors aren't rough, either; we have mostly carpeted floors and a few hardwood floors with a very smooth finish.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:33 am
monseychick wrote:
They need to wear slippers for their feets and their socks LOL

I'd love it if they did, but they just don't keep them on despite reminders. They say it's hot. The only time I see them wearing their house shoes with any regularity is when it's freezing in the house.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:49 am
imabima wrote:
Try googleing growing socks. Last forever in size and durability.

Yes, this brand was in the list of socks I've tried. The first packs of Growing Socks I bought (from Target, iirc) were amazing. They lasted almost a year before getting holes, which is amazing considering our track record with socks. So when they needed more socks, I searched high and low for more Growing Socks. The only place I could find them was from an third-party Amazon seller. I bought tons, and they didn't last as long the first time I bought them. I don't know why; they appeared identical with the first Growing Socks I bought.

Now, my oldest doesn't like Growing socks; she says they're too small and uncomfortable. The younger girls don't mind them, but she says the "growing" area of the sock is tight and hurts her foot. I can't go up in size since they only seem to come in two sizes (S/M and M/L).

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:50 am
I'll check out the French Toast and Condor socks. Thanks for the recommendations!

tzila

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:56 am
I work at a hosiery store in Brooklyn. Condor (Made in Spain) is expensive, but is definitely your best bet for most durable. However, one thing we always tell our customers, it doesn't matter how much you are paying for socks, if you are wearing them without shoes, they will rip.

incognito

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:34 am
Try me moi they are thicker than condor. Condor are cozy and soft but they are thin which for me led to rips. Me moi are also much cheaper. I personally wear them around house no slippers and haven't ripped any besides the condor.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:38 am
Some people have a "harsh step." I have shoes for 10+ years, I have the same target knee highs over 5 years now. Some people need shoes every 6 months and knee highs more often. Another brand may not be what you need. If the holes are near their toes and heels, just sew them.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 10:57 am
I have socks that I've been wearing for 15+ years and almost never wear shoes around the house. My favorites usually wear out much more quickly, but I definitely don't get holes after only a couple wearings.

I don't think sewing the holes is practical. If it's a small hole in the toe, it might be possible, but it's often a large hole under the ball of the foot. Even when the hole starts out small, it's not just a hole; the entire area grows thin within a month or so. All the cotton material wears away, leaving the synthetic base of the knit.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:18 pm
Darning socks is different from sewing up a hole. You use thread to re-create the fabric that has worn thin, rather than just sewing the edges together.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:32 pm
chana_f wrote:
Darning socks is different from sewing up a hole. You use thread to re-create the fabric that has worn thin, rather than just sewing the edges together.

I always wished I knew how to do this. You read about it all the time in olden-days books but I never heard of anyone doing it in the last hundred years or so. I bet there are youtube videos about it, though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries