Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Last ditch effort to keep daughter out of PS -meeting today
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8 9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 9:35 am
octopus wrote:
the chassidishe world cannot even begin to fathom the depths of the tuition crisis that the rest of the frum community seems to be suffering from. I hate to spell it out to you. The chassidishe boys school don't really pay their english teachers very well. They don't really teach english or it's not taken seriously. Tuition cost is lower in general because you are getting much less. While it is nice that richer ppl make a significant dent, but perhaps there is more money floating around to pay for tuition expenses if communities as a whole are benefiting from gov't subsidized programs. Confused

Even the Melamdim get paid less, they make about half the amount that a Rebbe makes in a Litvshe/or Yeshivish frum cheder.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Even the Melamdim get paid less, they make about half the amount that a Rebbe makes in a Litvshe/or Yeshivish frum cheder.

This is not true, at least where I live, and was simply added to stir the pot.

For the record, I've been following this thread from the beginning and my heart goes out to OP. No Jewish family should have to face this decision, ever. That being said, I have to say that mdoif made some good points and OP would be smart to listen and not fight or ignore those concerns. Sure, many imamother members graduated from public school frum due to this or that effort, but it still does not mitigate the fact that it is a cesspool and not a place to send a child without special needs. (Obviously a child with special needs is a whole other story.)

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:38 am
She's not fighting or ignoring. She just doesn't want her kids to be homeless and starving.

kb

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:57 am
Op took her high school son out of one school and switched him to another. If assume if there are two boys schools in the area there are two girls schools (I know, not for sure) but if there another school in the area wouldn't it make sense to contact them and ask if they'd take in a child on scholarship, because it's that or public school? Even if it would mean the daughter traveling longer every day, etc, if there is such an option I think it would be a much better idea than public school!

anon for this

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
This is not true, at least where I live, and was simply added to stir the pot.

For the record, I've been following this thread from the beginning and my heart goes out to OP. No Jewish family should have to face this decision, ever. That being said, I have to say that mdoif made some good points and OP would be smart to listen and not fight or ignore those concerns. Sure, many imamother members graduated from public school frum due to this or that effort, but it still does not mitigate the fact that it is a cesspool and not a place to send a child without special needs. (Obviously a child with special needs is a whole other story.)

If public school is a "cesspool", why is it OK to send children with special needs there? Are they immune to the effects? Do their spiritual needs not matter? Is the difference that you consider special needs an acceptable reason to send to public school, but not finances? I'd really like to understand, not trying to be snarky.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:21 am
anon for this wrote:
If public school is a "cesspool", why is it OK to send children with special needs there? Are they immune to the effects? Do their spiritual needs not matter? Is the difference that you consider special needs an acceptable reason to send to public school, but not finances? I'd really like to understand, not trying to be snarky.

Because generally kids will be in closed classrooms, with the curriculum being very specific.
This is what I assume is the answer.

kb

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:24 am
I b"h don't have any children with special needs, but I assume if there is a child that needs to be taught with a certain methodology that the Jewish educational system provides, and the public school system provides that, that would be better than nothing.

That being said, many Jewish special needs schools opened when a parent of a special needs child realized there was no Jewish system available to take care of their childs needs and opened a school to do so.

And depending how special the special needs are, not all of them would even pick up on immoral behavior, etc (as written by someone else whose special needs child IS in public school earlier on in the thread.)

anon for this

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Because generally kids will be in closed classrooms, with the curriculum being very specific.
This is what I assume is the answer.

I'd like to hear the amother poster's reasoning.

Regardless, I don't think your assumption is true. Most public schools try to mainstream children with special needs to the extent possible, so most children will not be in closed classrooms all the time. And I'm not sure what you mean by a "very specific" curriculum--are you assuming that children in special needs classrooms never hear about secular/ religious holidays like Chri-stmas or Halloween? Because that isn't true either.

And kb, the special needs that cannot be accommodated by Jewish schools are varied and myriad. Many children with special needs are perfectly aware of their environments and capable of understanding and absorbing what's going on around them.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:53 am
amother wrote:

My husband and I are actively involved in a chassidishe oot mosdos. Our Rebbeim are paid well. Our (certified!) teachers are paid on scale. We share some of our staff with the local Bais Yakov and can sometimes pay better. Tuition is 300$ a month. The rest is covered through heavy fundraising. People of means are expected to shoulder the burden. Most revel in their status as "pillar". The schools are a top priority tzeddaka cause. I know this sounds surreal, but it's our reality.

monseychick

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:11 pm
anon for this wrote:

DUH!!!

Because when its 4-12 thousand a year tuition, then we say cut your expenses to bare minimum or have others help you..

When its 80 thousand a year, suddenly we become very real world... Its not rocket science...

monseychick

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
My husband and I are actively involved in a chassidishe oot mosdos. Our Rebbeim are paid well. Our (certified!) teachers are paid on scale. We share some of our staff with the local Bais Yakov and can sometimes pay better. Tuition is 300$ a month. The rest is covered through heavy fundraising. People of means are expected to shoulder the burden. Most revel in their status as "pillar". The schools are a top priority tzeddaka cause. I know this sounds surreal, but it's our reality.

You are needlessly confusing this thread... OOT Chasidish is the mother of all oxymorons...

Lumping Chasidish schools in Willy/Monsey together with "chasidish" schools in Chicago/St Louis is like saying upper middle class whites in Bergen County NJ have the same taste in movies and music as Aboriginees in the Australian outback

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:23 pm
kb wrote:
I b"h don't have any children with special needs, but I assume if there is a child that needs to be taught with a certain methodology that the Jewish educational system provides, and the public school system provides that, that would be better than nothing.

That being said, many Jewish special needs schools opened when a parent of a special needs child realized there was no Jewish system available to take care of their childs needs and opened a school to do so.

And depending how special the special needs are, not all of them would even pick up on immoral behavior, etc (as written by someone else whose special needs child IS in public school earlier on in the thread.)

I take my dd to physical therapy. there is a special needs teen/young chassidishe adult there that doesn't stop using profanity after profanity. I don't think he even knows what it means. but he was probably surrounded all his life with caregivers or staff or students that used that kind of language all the time.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:25 pm
monseychick wrote:
You are needlessly confusing this thread... OOT Chasidish is the mother of all oxymorons...

Lumping Chasidish schools in Willy/Monsey together with "chasidish" schools in Chicago/St Louis is like saying upper middle class whites in Bergen County NJ have the same taste in movies and music as Aboriginees in the Australian outback

What parochial arrogant nonsense.

So outside of Williamsburg or Monsey there are no "real" chassidim? Have you been to Antwerp, London, or Yerushalaim?

monseychick

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:30 pm
sequoia wrote:
What parochial arrogant nonsense.

So outside of Williamsburg or Monsey there are no "real" chassidim? Have you been to Antwerp, London, or Yerushalaim?

I apologize for not being clear.. I am not talking about Stamford Hill, Jerusalem, B Bnak , Antwerp, Melbourne or places similar to that...

I was specifically referring to OOT USA (ie: cleveland, chicago, atlanta etc....)

kb

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:32 pm
anon for this and octopus, I just wanted to reiterate:

Quote:
And depending how special the special needs are, not all of them...

And I don't think there's anything wrong with learning about non-jewish holidays. If I would be considering sending my child to public school my concerns would be bad language and immoral behavior, as well as (not at age 7, but further down the road) boyfriend girlfriend relationships and beyond.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:41 pm
kb wrote:
anon for this and octopus, I just wanted to reiterate:

Quote:
And depending how special the special needs are, not all of them...

And I don't think there's anything wrong with learning about non-jewish holidays. If I would be considering sending my child to public school my concerns would be bad language and immoral behavior, as well as (not at age 7, but further down the road) boyfriend girlfriend relationships and beyond.

The youth I am talking about was very low functioning and just repeated curse words all over the place. I don't think it has to do with how special the needs are.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:43 pm
kb, I'm trying to figure out what exactly you're trying to say, I think am I interpreting your words wrong? I'm have an annoying headache today and I'm a bit slower than usual. If I'm not making sense just disregard my posts.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:17 pm
I don't want to take this thread off track, however the post about chassidishe school's costing less
because they give less is way off the mark.

Anyone with an idea of the "inner working's' of the chassidishe communities can dismiss that.

One of the top fundraising priorities of the "Rebbe" of any Chassidus is his school's, the gvirim (wealthy individuals) are expected to pay up no matter what. The wealthier member's of Satmar, Ger, Bobov, ect pay up to the tune of million's of dollar's.

The school's are then treated in a way like public school's. If a child is born to a Ger family, or a Satmar family, or a Bobov family, they have a place in school.

Period.

Even if they are as a poor as church mice.

Frankly, I as a litvishe woman, am more then a little jealous of the system that the Chassidim have put in place and can only hope we learn from them.

Then again this is not chas v'sholom a "bash" on my community, nor on any community for that matter, each community has their strong point and their weak point's.

I definetley feel one of the strong point's of the Chassidishe communities is the collective responsibilty they foster for all children of their communities.

cookiecutter

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:11 pm
anon for this wrote:
Use your brains.

anon for this

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:52 pm
cookiecutter wrote:
Use your brains.

Excuse me? If you don't want to answer, you don't have to, but please don't be rude.
Page 8 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics