Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Adenoidectomy (Adenoid surgery)

rise above

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 8:09 am
Can anyone who has done Adenoid removal surgery on their child please weigh in here. (Please do not respond if you did it alongside removal of the tonsils which is a bigger surgery and recovery..)

I need to schedule surgery for my dc (age 7) and am getting conflicting answers from the doctor staff as to how long the recovery period is.

For how many days was your child in real pain? How long was your child out of school for? How long did it take until he/she was able to return to normal functioning?

I appreciate your input!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 8:16 am
My son got his adenoids out last year, but he was only two, so it could be a little different. The recovery was easy. He only needed painkillers the day of the surgery, the next day already he was feeling fine. But, we had to keep him home from playgroup the whole week due to the risk of infection.

savta718

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:03 am
My son was almost 3 when we did the surgery. He insisted on going to school the next day. We were, however, very careful not to give him any spicy, very hot, or rough food for a few days. Good luck! Wishing your dc a full and speedy recovery!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:13 am
I know you asked that I shouldnt respond, but we did adeniods and tonsils together. DS (4) was ready to go back to school the next day, but I kept him home for a full week until he was able to eat everything.

Every DC reacts differently to surgery. I have done tubes 4 times and never had a problem. My sisters DC was running low fever after. They put the DC on antibiotics and had to keep the kid home for a few days.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:17 am
My 6 1/2 year old son had it about 9 months ago (right when he turned 6)
I was pretty shocked at how much it hurt him.
He had tubes put in and adenoids taken out at the same time and everyone told me tubes is no big deal.
but the adenoids did hurt him. He had a low grade fever for about a week and was really miserable. They said it was normal. He is a brave tough kid but this really threw him for a loop. I kept him on Tylenol the entire time. I ended up keeping him home longer then I expected. I think they recommended 3 days but it could be he stayed home a full week.
When I went back to have his tubes checked I commented to the PA how shocked I was at what I toll it took on him and she said she feels they downplay the recovery too much as it effects kids differently.
Also, when he woke up from the anesthesia he was really confused and disoriented. It took me much longer until I got home then I expected because it took so long to calm him down. It could be it was because he was older.

abeona

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:18 am
did it when dc was almost 3. day later she was fine...doc said that they had to amp up the anesthetics cuz she was fighting it so for the rest of that day she was also very wobbly and woozy but day later she was fine.

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 11:44 am
my friend's kid and a neighbor's kid had only adenoids done, they where both ready to go back to school the next day. My daughter got her tonsils out at the same time and we where told to keep her home for a week.

rise above

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 7:41 am
Thank you for all your responses!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics