Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
5 year old bedwetting. Dr. Sagie vs alarm vs nothing

Which method has worked for you?
Dr. Sagie's therapee  
 20%  [ 1 ]
Standard Bedwetting alarm  
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:49 pm
Hi. My 5 year old ds is a consistent bedwetter (pullups actually). He recently started to express how he wishes he would be dry at night and able to wear underwear. I have done a lot of research on the topic but I am still unsure what to do...
I'm trying to figure out the difference between using a regular bedwetting alarm vs. Dr. Sagie's therapee. I haven't found any specific info on what makes his method different. (I guess we wouldnt need to buy it for $399 then)
or I'm wondering if I should just wait it out another year or so.
it's definitely in the genes. and pediatrician is not concerned but said I could try some intervention if I want to. any thoughts? experiences to share? thanks

Queen6

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 6:29 pm
Firstly; bed wetting is VERY common and completely normal. Ice spoken to MANY Doctors about my daughter who is 7 and they all said relax.
I was told Dr. Sagie has nothing to offer except he "holds your hand". You can just buy an alarm clock for $8 and hold your own hand.
If your child is determined that alone is a huge step. Take him before he goes to sleep. Take him again before you go to sleep. Try to limit drinks before bedtime.....
See how that plays out.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 6:51 pm
My ds 6 had the same issue. I constantly asked pediatrician about it and she said not to do anything or worry at least till he's 7. My youngest was already trained for the night so he was desperate to be trained as well.

I Googled and read alot. Wasn't sure how to go about it. I was thinking of getting the alarm. But then I read in one of the comments to take your child to the bathroom 1hr after they fall asleep. I figured let's give it a shot before I spend on the alarm.

Ds was the type of child who has not woken up dry ever. And I mean EVER. Not a single dry night. So, we limited drinks at supper time. Made sure he used the bathroom before going to bed. Then, I took him an hour after he fell asleep. Took him again before I went to bed. Set my alarm for once in middle of the night.
Lo and behold he woke up dry for the first time in his life! You can not imagine what a boost to his ego this was. (He was still in pull ups though.)

I followed this routine for 1 week. Then I dropped the middle of the night trips. Still took him an hour after he fell asleep and once before I went to sleep. Did this for another 2 weeks. Bh he graduated to regular underwear and started waking up to go on his own. Maybe his body got used to it? I don't know.
I stopped taking him to the bathroom. It's been a couple of months and he rarely wets his bed (maybe once or twice since).

So this is what worked for us b"h! Doesn't hurt to try. I told ds we are going to TRY this and if he can't stay dry he should not feel bad. It's not his fault that's how H' made him and with time his body well be ready.
Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 7:21 pm
OP here. Thank you both! I think with that info in mind I just have to decide if I want to even really try or maybe just leave it alone for now. He is a veeery deep sleeper (which is prob the cause to begin with) and he is finally growing out of his night terrors, which made it impossible to wake him up without crazy screaming.
Also, what alarm is $8? I've been looking around and see very expensive ones.

thanks again!

buzz

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 2:14 am
OP I am the same as you, when my 5.5 year old finally falls asleep he is such a deep sleeper, my dd who is three is already dry at night..

SO I am really stuck, we tried waking him, which is almost impossible, literally and still somehow that didn't work...

How many times is it normal to wake him up a night?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 9:40 am
We have bedwetters here. One of my kids didnt outgrow it until he was close to 12. We tried everything. Really everything from homeopathics to alarms to medication. Nothing worked. We finally gave up on it all and he outgrew it a year later. Another one of my kids didnt fully outgrow bedwetting till age 9 but because I had an even older bedwetter, I didnt think much of it. My 7 yo occasionally wets the bed and no big deal here because I'm used to it. I do understand the fear and frustration that comes along with this, but from my perspective, I wouldnt lose much sleep over a 5 yo in pullups at night. It probably wont last forever.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 8:50 pm
I bought the Malem Ultimate Bedwetting Alarm for $100, the alarm helped for my 8 year old ds, after 4 weeks he stopped using pull ups,

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
I bought the Malem Ultimate Bedwetting Alarm for $100, the alarm helped for my 8 year old ds, after 4 weeks he stopped using pull ups,

I'm the amother above, I would not recommend to use the alarm for younger children, the way it wakes them up is to tramic
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training