Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
This is a real question Can ashkenazi eat in sephardic house
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:02 am
I'm asking because sephardm hold that glass does not need to be tovled. However, Ashkenazi are not allowed to eat off of plates that haven't been tovled.

There's also other things but I'm starting with that because it's the one area that's stumping me.

Coukd you share your thoughts? Is it allowed? Thanks.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:04 am
Not all sefardim, not all ashkenazim.

The question is about any home.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:04 am
Aylor

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:29 am
I'm not a Rabbi, but my DH learns full time and is big into Halacha, and my DD's best friend is Sephardi.

Absolutely not a problem.

But AYLOR.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:30 am
it may work vice versa too. Sefardim eat chalak beit yosef.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:34 am
I am not aware of any problems with eating in someone else's home when they follow a different, equally respected halachic opinion on tevilat keilim. As for the food itself, some people are makpid even out of the home to only eat chalak, yashan, etc.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:53 am
Definitely vice versa. My neighbors are sefardi and their laws of bishul yisorel are much stricter in that a Jew has to do the actual cooking, where for ashkanezim it is enough that a Jew turned on the flame. So they cannot eat at many simchas where food is provided by a caterer.

I don't know about the glass. But we toivel plastic without a bracha. In my house we won't use it without (obviously not disposables) But I will eat by others who don't toivel plastic and may use it as part of their food prep.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:54 am
Why don't you find out if the plate are glass first. maybe you don't need to worry about this.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 11:02 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
I am not aware of any problems with eating in someone else's home when they follow a different, equally respected halachic opinion on tevilat keilim. As for the food itself, some people are makpid even out of the home to only eat chalak, yashan, etc.

This exactly. Which means it is actually Sefardim who will likely have more issues eating at Ashkenazic homes, especially with regard to meat (although there are plenty of Ashkenazim who are careful with Chalak Beit Yosef as well).

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 11:05 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

This. They have a chezkas kashrus if they are frum and follow their psak.

I remember my sis once asked DH if she could eat at a Sephardi friend who uses the same dishwasher for meat and milk (not at the same time, separate loads.) DH said it's not a problem, as the Halacha there follows the Bais Yosef. We wouldn't do it in our home, but no problem to eat there.

heidi

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 11:55 am
My close friend is Temani and they heat food in liquid on the plata on Shabbat. Totally ok according to their poskim. Our rav said eating that food on shabbat is totally fine.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:01 pm
If you understand the people to be Ben Torah people, then don't peer into their tent. Eat what they put in front of you and say thank you.

It's "how goodly are your tentS", plural, not "how goodly is your tent", just yours, singular.

If you start asking rabbis they are dragged in. You have put them on the spot. Ask them when there is a real confusion.

You may have non-observant Jewish friends. But you know perfectly well who they are, so you go to their house for their friendship, and drink out of unopened bottles in paper cups, and eat cake you brought them, off paper plates.

You know perfectly well which house is observant and which isn't. A Ben Torah is a Ben Torah.

Let us have a good eye and not over-do our own cleverness. Simple can be all right.

Let us respect.

chaiz

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This. They have a chezkas kashrus if they are frum and follow their psak.

I hope this is not perceived as divisive or offensive. One can have a different psak than me and I will respect it as a talmid chacham with yiras shamayim gave that psak. But that does not mean for *me* it is ok. For example, chalav stam. For me it is a problem and I cannot eat off the keilim, etc. and for others it is not.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:22 pm
chaiz wrote:
I hope this is not perceived as divisive or offensive. One can have a different psak than me and I will respect it as a talmid chacham with yiras shamayim gave that psak. But that does not mean for *me* it is ok. For example, chalav stam. For me it is a problem and I cannot eat off the keilim, etc. and for others it is not.

You do realize that AFAIK it is only chabad and only regarding chalav stam that anyone practices this way? Other groups that are 100% makpid on chalak/ yashan/ bishul yisrael/ chalav yisrael etc even in others' homes are not makpid on keilim.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:29 pm
We are sfardi and tovel glass - never heard that you don't have to. So I guess this question can really apply to anyone because theres always a chance of someone following a different psak on one thing or another.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 1:15 pm
chaiz wrote:

We don't eat chalav stam and my sister does. We eat in her house, off her keilim, as per one of the most prominent poskim in Lakewood. She is very respectful of us and would never serve us Chalav Stam.

But I do respect your point. Anyone in doubt should ask their own Moreh Derech.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 1:19 pm
Ah, but do you kiss other people's mezuzahs? You never know, you never know.

It's the house. If the mezuah is real and the people are Ben Torah your own ways are for yourself at your own home. If you walk into their home, the holiness they have worked so hard for covers you while you are under that particular roof.

The blood of the lamb is on their door. You are safe in there, just as you would have been safe in there on the original Pesach night, if you had chanced to be visiting them then, and not home.

chaiz

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 1:21 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You do realize that AFAIK it is only chabad and only regarding chalav stam that anyone practices this way? Other groups that are 100% makpid on chalak/ yashan/ bishul yisrael/ chalav yisrael etc even in others' homes are not makpid on keilim.

No I did not realize that. Smile I learned something new today. Even regarding bishul?
But anyways, my point was that I can still trust and respect you and I KNOW you are frum G-D fearing Jew, but might not be able to eat your food.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 1:25 pm
Dolly, since we can't give hugs in the kitchen, here's one for you Hug

Your previous post was so beautiful! I really admire your Ahavas Isroel.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 1:28 pm
chaiz wrote:
No I did not realize that. Smile I learned something new today. Even regarding bishul?
But anyways, my point was that I can still trust and respect you and I KNOW you are frum G-D fearing Jew, but might not be able to eat your food.

Yes, even regarding bishul. I was just pointing out that your practice is a very isolated one.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen