Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babysitter doesn't change baby - WWYD?
Previous  1  2

Elbowmac

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 6:00 pm
Not sure if this would be helpful to the OP or not, but when we were using a babysitter for a few weeks, I made a "daily activity" sheet for our babysitter to fill out during the day. It had a column for nap times, one for eating times (and amounts), and one for diaper changes. I told the babysitter it would really help me to keep better track of how much my baby was eating, how many diapers he was going through, etc., to ensure that I sent enough of everything each day. Moreover, this way, I could check that the babysitter was changing diapers whenever appropriate, and not just once or twice for the really dirty ones.

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 6:11 pm
I wonder what OP means by really soaking wet. I don't change my baby whenever she pees. I can't afford that.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 6:38 pm
I have my babysitter change the baby every two hours. They aren't with the babysitter that many hours that I'm going to go broke, and that way there is no misunderstanding as to how wet I'm ok with. On my own time, I use my discretion. I believe that some babies pee more than others, so I'm sure it varies anyway.

Tekky

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 7:17 am
OP here.

I don't understand where a lot of you come from - of COURSE you are supposed to change a baby the moment you know they are wet! I don't care what your financial status is - if you can afford a computer or a phone with internet to use imamother, then you can def afford to change your baby more than 4 times a day. I want want to judge u, but something tells me that ur cutting corners in the wrong places. How can you leave a baby in a wet diaper?

The babysitter should automatically be checking her every once in a while and def should change her as soon as she wakes up from a nap. When I pick her up 4-5 hours after dropping her off, she should have been changed atleast once, if not twice. Why is the babysitter being cheap on MY diapers?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 7:21 am
At pickup time the child should have a clean diaper, clean hands, clean face. It's a basic gesture that says I'm responsible and I care.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 8:14 am
I don't know about all you out there, but I find it hard to believe that everyone is changing pampers every two hours. Four hours is totally excessive; but every two? Are there super moms out there that I'm not aware of? I do 3 hours or the second after number two is made.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 8:35 am
I guess I'm a neglectful mother, because after the newborn stage, I change diapers if they're dirty or very wet. I usually use four diapers a day, sometimes five. Never more unless the kid has diarrhea.

And FTR, my kids almost never have diaper rashes. None of my kids has ever had a serious rash.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 9:51 am
Babies are pretty resilient. You can smoke around them, leave them in a dirty diaper with even #2 for hours, booze it up pretty heavily while nursing, leave them around unplugged electrical outlets, drive them around with no car seat, put Pepsi in their formula, and do lots of other stuff and 99+% of them will likely be alive and reasonably well in the end. But I still wouldn't leave mine with the OP's babysitter. YMMV.

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know about all you out there, but I find it hard to believe that everyone is changing pampers every two hours. Four hours is totally excessive; but every two? Are there super moms out there that I'm not aware of? I do 3 hours or the second after number two is made.

I don't think it is a matter of how often, just that if a diaper is wet it needs changing. Many diapers are so absorbent that they feel completely dry after one pee and aren't bulging or anything. You can't tell that they're wet unless you take them off and look. I wouldn't change a diaper like that, but OP said that her DD's diaper was soaked. A soaked diaper needs changing no matter how long it has been on.

I don't change my DD's diapers every 2, 3 or 4 hours, I change them when they need changing. I put a clean one on her when she wakes up and have usually changed it again within the first hour because she wets a lot first thing. In the afternoon she can often go 4 hours without and change because she goes that long without wetting.

So yes, a diaper can go 4 hours without being changed and it's fine, but that's not OP's situation. In her case, there is no doubt that the diaper needs changing and it isn't being done.

OP, if you're otherwise happy with the sitter, I'd tell her that your DD needs a clean diaper mid-morning. Monitor the situation and see if she does this. If she doesn't, I'd find a new sitter.

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 2:46 pm
OP, I believe that babysitters should be sensitive to their charges. A babysitter who is fine with a baby being soaking wet may be insensitive about hunger or crying as well. Change babysitters.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:01 pm
I babysit.
I have some parents who know that their kids get upset when changed, so they tell me not to bother w/ wet diapers.
I have some parents who ask to change every 2 hrs
I have one kid who naps for two and a half hours. his mother changes him right before he comes, when he goes down for his nap his diaper is totally dry. when she comes to pick him up (he's still sleeping) he's sometimes soaked through.
I have one mother who brings her son w/ a diaper down to his knees filled w/ pish and bm (to the point where I have actually bathed the kid when he's come to me)
maybe your babysitter is busy w/ other kids and changing a wet diaper comes in second after making sure the other kids are happy and fed.

these are just different scenarios to take into account.
your babysitter may not be neglecting your child
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics