Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Interviewing if you know you wont hire them

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 3:31 pm
So I dont want to go into to many details for privacy purposes but in short DH recently started a job as a manager of a new division start up (if that makes sense).

They are ready to expand and need to find some more employees and since DH will be managing them, his boss wants him to do the interviews. fine. great.

then his boss said that he found someone who he wants to take the position (a Jewish person tho its really not relevent).

BUT he still wants dh to go and advertise (on craigslist) and then interview 4 people so he can get the experience conducting interviews.

DH feels like its not fair/right/mentchlach to advertise and interview if you know that 99% you are not hiring them.

But he def hears his boss that he needs experience doing interviews. hes only been on one interview in his life and that was for this job where they approached him, so it was a different thing all together.

What do you think?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 3:34 pm
As someone who is stressed out about an interview I have tomorrow that really don't want to go to because I don't know what I'll do if I get an offer (which seems likely) I'd say it's not fair. Is there a chance he can hire them in the future?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who is stressed out about an interview I have tomorrow that really don't want to go to because I don't know what I'll do if I get an offer (which seems likely) I'd say it's not fair. Is there a chance he can hire them in the future?

he may but not for the same position. There are some applicants so far that sound good on paper for what hes looking for right now, but others that are under qualified BUT may be good for other positions that will imh be opening up within the next few months.

That may be an idea, to interview for those positions now and then call back anyone hes interested in a couple months....

but still not feeling right, plus he advertised for a higher position which is what they responded to.

thanks for your input Smile

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 3:53 pm
IMO, he should talk further to his boss about this. Maybe he can conduct a practice interview with the boss's candidate, or with other people in the company.

But I agree with him and you that the current setup is unfair to all.

ETA: Rethinking the other side of this. I think if it's 1 or 2 other candidates, maybe it's not so bad. Many positions require a manager checking out the top 2 or 3 candidates even when it seems like there is a clear winner.

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 4:02 pm
Its also entirely possible that the boss has some nagging doubts about the guy he says he wants to hire. He could be being pushed into hiring someone's relative or friend. He may want your dh to interview a few people just in case there is a perfect candidate out there. I work in HR. This happens a lot.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 4:07 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
Its also entirely possible that the boss has some nagging doubts about the guy he says he wants to hire. He could be being pushed into hiring someone's relative or friend. He may want your dh to interview a few people just in case there is a perfect candidate out there. I work in HR. This happens a lot.

could be.

even if not should dh just tell this to himself while he interviews? he would also be interviewing the Jewish guy just to make sure they can work together etc and for experience.

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 4:45 pm
why not contact a local college and do mock interviews iwth the students. that way he can get the experiance and give the students interview exp also. win win for everyone

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
So I dont want to go into to many details for privacy purposes but in short DH recently started a job as a manager of a new division start up (if that makes sense).

They are ready to expand and need to find some more employees and since DH will be managing them, his boss wants him to do the interviews. fine. great.

then his boss said that he found someone who he wants to take the position (a Jewish person tho its really not relevent).

BUT he still wants dh to go and advertise (on craigslist) and then interview 4 people so he can get the experience conducting interviews.

DH feels like its not fair/right/mentchlach to advertise and interview if you know that 99% you are not hiring them.

But he def hears his boss that he needs experience doing interviews. hes only been on one interview in his life and that was for this job where they approached him, so it was a different thing all together.

What do you think?

Doesn't sound ethical to interview a perspective employee when you know you won't hire them. I would feel used if I was said perspective employee.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 6:48 pm
It may even be a halachic problem. Definitely not ethical though.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 10:14 pm
I'm someone currently looking for a job and have been to around 6-7 interviews in the past few weeks. I could immediately tell when the interviewer wasn't interested in hiring me but the interview was already set up. I would have so much preferred a call beforehand -even day of- from the employer "sorry we already hired someone else" and here they're purposely going to hold these interviews with no intention of hiring the person?
That's not right. It's not fair to the person being interviewed. At all.

ElTam

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 12:00 am
If there is a CHANCE they could be hired, that's one thing. If he's just practicing on them, I would think that would be a problem of halacha.

I have done a lot of hiring. I've gotten better with more experience. Your DH can read articles about interviewing. He could also probably find some mock interview videos on YouTube. Just doing an interview isn't going to make him a good interviewer. You have to put some effort into finding out what best practices are.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 12:09 am
He should interview them. If they are good, they go into the file as possible back-ups if this other one doesn't work out. Very possible.

It's only unethical if they have no chance whatever because they are completely unsuitable, but that's unlikely here.

Employees with sense don't go on interviews at places they know they couldn't possibly be right for. The employee is interviewing you right back. (But that is not supposed to show.)

On an interview, both parties learn something.

If the interviewee thinks the company is interesting, he/she may mention it to someone else who does go to work there.

The interviewee may change, evolve, and call back in a few years, if they have a good experience. They might be hired then.

I strongly suspect here the boss is lining up back-ups, which is normal and intelligent.

shira143

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 12:14 am
I know my company has to post positions and review applications to choose the most qualified candidate, even if they have someone internally they'd like to hire. It may be company policy.

elsily

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 12:27 am
I agree it is unethical. Maybe he can talk to his boss about his discomfort?

I went on a number of interviews a few years ago where it was pretty obvious either during the interview or immediately afterwards that they already had someone else in mind. It made me feel pretty horrible and gave me a negative impression of the organizations.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 11:28 am
As some one who is the job market I think this very unfair.He is making someone spend time, money and most of all playing with their emotions so you can get the feeling of interviewing?

One thing is certain if he does go ahead with this he should cut down his bad behavior and notify each interviewee right after the interview that they wont be hired.

self-actualization

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 11:52 am
I don't love the idea of bringing people in for an interview when you know for sure that you won't hire them.

In the past, when I was between jobs and home with my kids, it cost me around $100 to hire a babysitter for the day and go into the city for an interview (because I would book a babysitter for the whole day just to have some padding, let's say the interview was at 11 am, so I had to leave my house by 9:30 and I didn't know when I would come home). So there is potentially a cost to the candidate to come to the interview.

In addition, there is travel time. It takes me about an hour to get into the city, but I know that for many people it can take 1 1/2+ hours each way. When I have interviewed babysitters in the past, I felt terrible bringing these women over to my house and seeing right away that they weren't a good candidate, because each of them needed to take 40 minutes each way to come and see me. So I always invited them in, gave them a drink, tried to see if I knew any other positions for them, etc.

Lastly, there is a psychological toll. Let's say someone really needs the money, and they are pinning all of their hopes and dreams on this interview (and their wife is as well). It's just mean to get someones hopes up like that.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 12:36 pm
What about calling each of the interviewees and telling them that this position has 99% already been filled, but if they would like, you'd be glad to interview them for the possibility of certain jobs you expect to open in the near future?

That way the cards are all on the table, some of the candidates may agree to this new plan, and nobody is hurt.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:50 pm
Just as an update- Dh spoke with his boss some more and his boss clarified that he heard of this Jewish guy that he would like to hire ALL OTHER THINGS EQUAL, but wants DH to interview 4 other ppl first as experience before he meets the Jewish guy. Then he has something to compare him too. and if one of the other 4 would be better then he has no problem hiring them.

that dh felt able to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette