Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Queens people: Bnos Malka vs. YCQ

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:37 pm
My daughter is set to go to YCQ in September. We are a modern orthodox family and my husband thinks that YCQ would be best for our daughter. I am starting to think that YCQ might be a bit too modern though. I know many people sending their girls to bnos Malka and they are extremely happy. Does anyone know anything about these two Schools? Thank you for your responses.

happyfam

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 10:44 am
YCQ is definitely more modern than Bnos Malka but as far as which school to send to it really depends on what you are considering "too modern." Is there something in particular that is making you concerned?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 2:06 pm
OP here: I have been told that as far as playdates go, I would need to be careful with whos house my daughter goes to because of Kashrus reasons. However, I have also heard that the principal has started hand picking who he accepts into the school so worrying about other families hashkafa is not so much of an issue anymore. That was pretty much my main concern with YCQ. I don't want to have to worry about my daughter going to someone's house who is, let's say, not shomer shabbos.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 6:57 pm
Just curious- why didn't you look into Bais Yaakov of Queens- it is another option...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
OP here: I have been told that as far as playdates go, I would need to be careful with whos house my daughter goes to because of Kashrus reasons. However, I have also heard that the principal has started hand picking who he accepts into the school so worrying about other families hashkafa is not so much of an issue anymore. That was pretty much my main concern with YCQ. I don't want to have to worry about my daughter going to someone's house who is, let's say, not shomer shabbos.

It may be less of an issue than in the past, but it is definitely still an issue. You have to find out about the home beforehand.

mummyto2

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:33 pm
I send my kids to ycq....it is an amazing school. As far as play dates question I went to bais yaakov of queens and still had to inquire about the kashrus of families that went there. So that's a consideration no matter where u send. Btw I sent my kids to ycq as opposed to by because I had both genders and wanted my kids all under one roof....made for no bussing days much e@easier

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:41 pm
mummyto2 wrote:
I send my kids to ycq....it is an amazing school. As far as play dates question I went to bais yaakov of queens and still had to inquire about the kashrus of families that went there. So that's a consideration no matter where u send. Btw I sent my kids to ycq as opposed to by because I had both genders and wanted my kids all under one roof....made for no bussing days much e@easier

I don't really think that's the case now though and if it is, it's much fewer kids percentage wise. There are many great reasons to send to YCQ, but the inquiring about Shabbos/ Kashrus is going to be much more of an issue than in BYQ or BMA.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 2:00 am
I used to work at YCQ, in the recent past.

You will definitely need to check about kashrus before a playdate. You may not want to have a Shabbos playdate.

The principal does hand pick the students. He tries hard to find the more committed families, however a large number of the students come from traditional homes and he feels strongly that with Jewish schooling, there's an opportunity for many of these students to grow in torah. Not to mention that they would have a much smaller school if he only picked kids who are strictly shomer shabbos.

After an admission interview, he'll likely discuss how impressed he is with the sheitle or tichel wearer and how theyre in, and this is what ycq is looking for--but many other kids get accepted too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics