Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why didn't she shake my hand?
Previous  1  2

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:39 pm
and here I thought this was another marina thread...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:49 pm
I've never seen frum women shaking hand, or at least I don't recall any hand shakes. I live in NY and my social network is quite diverse. What I see is people who are good friends hugging each other.
I come from a kissing background (men also kiss each other).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 4:50 pm
Barbara wrote:
Thomas Beatie converted to Judaism?

There's only one transgender male?

ETA: Wink

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 4:57 pm
I never shook hands with another female in a social setting. Hug and kiss, maybe. I would be thrown by surprise so perhaps she did the same. No biggie.

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:08 pm
I was under the impression that chassidishe women shook hands. not like in a handshake way, but when you wish a mazel tov you kind of grasp that person's hand and say mazel tov. that's just been my experience. could be the lady in question just sneezed or something. I wouldn't read too much into it.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:12 pm
octopus wrote:
I was under the impression that chassidishe women shook hands. not like in a handshake way, but when you wish a mazel tov you kind of grasp that person's hand and say mazel tov. that's just been my experience. could be the lady in question just sneezed or something. I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's so funny. I commented that I never saw women shaking hands but I always say mazel tov this way! I just didn't realize that it could be considered a handshake.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 8:03 pm
Now that I think of it there is an English (UK) Rebbetzin I visit and she always clasps my hand in hers. but beyond that none of the Jewish women I know have ever shaken my hand.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions