Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Did you buy everything for seminary?
Previous  1  2

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
She has navy blue pleated skirts from high school. There are not very nice. Are the girls really use their high school skirts?

I did! It wasn't especially fashionable, but my parents were spending so much money to get me to sem that I didn't care!

real israeli

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
Op here
How many towels big and small and how many **** sets does she need?

I don't have a daughter going to seminary but was there not long ago myself.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, all of her belongings will be cramped into a tiny space.

I'd suggest 2 bath towels and 2 small negel vasser towels.
2 sets of linen so that she can be in line to wash one but still go to sleep - there aren't always machines available exactly when you want them.
I'd also say she probably needs about 8 uniform shirts (assuming she has a uniform - even if that's just oxford shirts)
2 vacation outfits
3 skirts
4 sweaters to wear with uniforms
2/3/4 sweaters to wear on days off - depends on how often she wants to rewear the same clothing
3 or 4 Shabbos outfits for winter/summer

can't think of everything else but if you post items I can tell you what I'd suggest based on what most of my friends and I had

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:55 am
How thin is your DD? How tall? Where are you OOT? My DD has 2 navy pleated skirts (from Freilich uniforms) hanging in her closet in like-new condition that she has outgrown. They are size 2 length B and to give you an idea of what that means.....my DD is really really slender and petite (she's almost 5 ft tall now, but was wearing these skirts at ankle length, and went to length C this past year. They are also really narrow in the waist.)

PM me if you are interested.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 5:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
How thin is your DD? How tall? Where are you OOT? My DD has 2 navy pleated skirts (from Freilich uniforms) hanging in her closet in like-new condition that she has outgrown. They are size 2 length B and to give you an idea of what that means.....my DD is really really slender and petite (she's almost 5 ft tall now, but was wearing these skirts at ankle length, and went to length C this past year. They are also really narrow in the waist.)

PM me if you are interested.

Thank you so much. But you definitely don't live next to me. I don't live in a highly populated Jewish community.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 7:06 pm
It prob would help a lot if she gets a summer job and either helps w clothes expenses or just uses it for daily expenses.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:54 am
studying_torah wrote:
It prob would help a lot if she gets a summer job and either helps w clothes expenses or just uses it for daily expenses.

She got a summer job. But she said she wants to keep the money for when she comes back from seminary.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:15 am
what does she plan to use for spending money?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
She has navy blue pleated skirts from high school. There are not very nice. Are the girls really use their high school skirts?

I was in seminary 2 years ago and most girls wore their highschool uniform skirts even though they are not so nice, but they already had them and everyone else was wearing them. I was actually jealous of those girls because I didnt have a uniform in highschool so I had to buy a few skirts and although they were nicer they were too short to wear with knee socks so I always had to wear stockings and most girls were able to just wear knee socks with their uniform skirts

if she has uniform skirts I definitely reccomend sending her with just those no need to buy new ones

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:

She wants to learn a profession and be in shiduchim. She is nervous she won't have enough money.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry. I didn't understand your question. She think we are giving it to her. She goes to a very yeshivish seminary. They provide three meals a day and maybe also extra food. How much money do they need and when do you give it to them?

busydev

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:33 pm
she will need for bus fare, for gifts for people she goes for shabbos at minimum. also laundry-esp if she has just enough clothing. plus for supplies, seforim, toiletries....

I went with a budget of $100/month. some months I used less and that was saved to get gifts for my family. I also used up my savings from babysitting and summer work in HS to pay for the application fees and deposit. (the spending money I earned the summer before sem)

My sis had worked WAY less then me and often spent it on snack s or wh knows what. my parents paid more for her but told her that they would not give her spending money. she had whatever she decided to earn that last summer (she still turned away babysitting jobs just cause) and she managed with something like $70-80/month. her sem recommended triple that.

kb

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:38 pm
Also midwinter and Chanukah vacation. That's NOT CHEAP (and I don't think it's fair to deprive a girl of those experiences).

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry. I didn't understand your question. She think we are giving it to her. She goes to a very yeshivish seminary. They provide three meals a day and maybe also extra food. How much money do they need and when do you give it to them?

My parents have me 150 a month they deposited into my bank account and I took money out as needed from the ATM. The 150 was plenty for me. If she's in a very yeshivish seminary could be she won't be going out very much and could manage with less as they tend to do less shopping and go on fewer trips as they have more rules of where they can go. With what I was given I was able to cover trips on breaks and extra shopping.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe it's time to sit down with your daughter and have a talk about her expectations vs. your financial reality.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 9:03 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Maybe it's time to sit down with your daughter and have a talk about her expectations vs. your financial reality.

Hatzlacha!

She agrees to have less now. She just doesn't want to spend her money.

real israeli

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 3:11 pm
I went to an ultra-yeshivish seminary. I think the minimum most girls managed with was $100 a month. You can give it to her before she leaves - a lump sum or she can work with an atm.
FWIW, my parents always paid for everything for me. As per my parents wishes, my working money always went to the bank "for later on in life when you'll be on your own". Even so, the summer before seminary, I kept my working money out of the bank and used it as spending money. Only because I felt it was healthy for me to learn to spend my own money. I ran out around pesach time and obviously my parents gave me money for the rest of the year. I think it would be very healthy for your daughter to spend her own money in sem. When she'll get home, she'll find a job and earn more.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:07 am
Don't buy new clothes for sem. Everything I brought to seminary was ruined - the Israeli washers + Israeli water + detergent made everything white turn an interesting shade of beige. One girl's shirt with a red pattern turned into a yellow pattern shock

I know some girls who managed to keep their clothes in good condition - by only spot-cleaning.

I spent less than $100/mo in seminary (including transportation to/from the airport), but other girls spent $500+ a month.

Make sure she has a winter coat and a warm blanket - winter happens in Israel too!

She does need an ADAPTER (not a big bulky converter) to plug stuff in.
She does not need to bring hangers - the girls from last year will have left plenty.
Most sefarim are WAY cheaper in Israel.
Don't bother bringing a blow dryer - someone else will have one, and possibly an Israeli one that doesn't need an adapter.
Many important items can be purchased at the 2-shek store (Israeli version of the dollar store).
Don't forget GOOD sneakers and a backpack for hikes! (They will get really gross, but the hikes are great)
Don't bring American binders or folders - Israeli paper size is different.
Sweatshirts are very popular sem wear.
Bring American deodorant and shampoo, if you think you probably won't like the Israeli version.
You need shower slippers - Most Israeli showers have a curtain but no stall - the water goes down a drain in the bathroom floor.
Bring a scrapbook if that's your style, for all of the mementos (bus tickets, etc.).
More than 2 sheet sets is completely unnecessary.
Don't bring toilet paper - with so many girls sharing the bathroom it won't last long enough to make it worth it Smile
Don't pack more than you can carry. You'll need to shlep it yourself, and there are steps all over the place.
Make sure Shabbos shoes are comfortable. Israelis expect to do a lot of walking, and not all the streets are smooth.
Shabbos clothes in Israel are more casual than in the States.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:25 am
Practically, by the time you get all the necessities packed into the 100 or so pound allotment for luggage, there won't be much room for anything else.

Clothes are important. Some button down shirts, pleated skirts for everyday, sweaters for everyday, a couple of loose hiking skirts and some light tops and a sweatshirt for Tiyulim, one or two things to wear on vacation, and some Shabbos clothing. Keep in mind that your daughter will NOT have very much room in her closet for extraneous clothing.

Shoes: Good everyday shoes. Shabbos shoes that are good for walking in, heels are completely unnecessary. A pair of sneakers for hikes, a pair of water shoes for water hikes, and some shower slippers.

A winter coat, a rain coat (VERY IMPORTANT), and maybe some rain boots.

Two sets of linen, a pillow or two, and a blanket (I got a pillow and blanket order through my sem, which was worth it.) At least two bath towels, a couple of hand towels, and a washcloth. I got all of this stuff at wal-mart, and all of it has lasted me for years already!

Shampoo and other toiletries DO NOT let her buy them in bulk in America. It is a true waste of valuable luggage space. The water in Israel is different, and most girls find that American shampoo doesn't even work there. You can pack some small containers to start her out (think travel sized), but don't buy a year's worth.

An adapter for electronics. And any electronics she uses.

School supplies can and should be purchased in Israel. The only thing I found useful to bring were junky pens, as they are a drop more expensive there.

Seforim are much cheaper in Israel.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:16 am
Thanks for the tips

I copied and pasted it to show DD.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics