Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Angry sequoia needs your advice
1  2  Next

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:55 am
I woke up at 6 am for a skype lesson with my student in India, and she forgot about it.

What's a nice, persuasive, professional way of letting her mom know she should pay me for my time? What if she refuses?

Man, tough week...

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:58 am
Do you normally send an invoice? How does she keep track of when and how much to pay? Just include it as usual. You should be clear from the beginning that in the event of a no show she will be billed, just so you know for the future Smile But I believe this is standard in the tutoring world. Sorry for your lost sleep Sad

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Do you normally send an invoice? How does she keep track of when and how much to pay? Just include it as usual. You should be clear from the beginning that in the event of a no show she will be billed, just so you know for the future Smile But I believe this is standard in the tutoring world. Sorry for your lost sleep Sad

I don't send an invoice -- we just keep track and she sends me a check after a certain number of lessons.

I will clarify in the future. This has never come up before.

Now I have to email her and specifically ask her to reimburse me for my time, which is why I started this thread.

Most of my students are local.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:03 am
I never get paid either when they forgot, or kid didn't feel well, or there was a birthday...v frustrating, and all I can say is ok, no problem, see you next week...I've never woken up at 6am for a lesson though, although have made sure to be home on time or cut my nap short

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:06 am
I would just say something like "I wanted to make you aware that Sara missed her lesson this morning. I apologize for not clarifying this with you earlier, but in the event of a student not showing up for a lesson, the lesson is billed as usual. Thank you for understanding."

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:26 am
so sorry this happened to you. You can try to bill it, but personally I think its something that you should have specifically stated at the beginning. she can say that if you didn't provide the service, she doesn't pay. People forget, these things happen. And either one would be right from either point of view. I guess you need to consider if she'll get annoyed and find someone else, if losing the client is worth it for you in the long run.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
so sorry this happened to you. You can try to bill it, but personally I think its something that you should have specifically stated at the beginning. she can say that if you didn't provide the service, she doesn't pay. People forget, these things happen. And either one would be right from either point of view. I guess you need to consider if she'll get annoyed and find someone else, if losing the client is worth it for you in the long run.

This is exactly my dilemma now Crying

She's being apologetic in emails though.

SRS

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:40 am
I'd let one session go. For the future, I'd establish a billing schedule that has a cancellation time or you are charged.

Della

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:01 pm
Easy for me to say, but take it as a life lesson. Draft a contact of sorts, state clearly that any missed appointments are fully billable.
This is how you learn! I know it's frustrating. I also built up a business and made mistakes and learned through trial and error. You'll know for next time.

Take a nap:)

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I would just say something like "I wanted to make you aware that Sara missed her lesson this morning. I apologize for not clarifying this with you earlier, but in the event of a student not showing up for a lesson, the lesson is billed as usual. Thank you for understanding."

I wouldn't apologize unless it was in response to something she says or after this is resolved. You weaken your negotiating position because you are now coming at it from the POV that both parties are at fault.

rosehill

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:28 pm
Be careful what you communicate in writing whilst you're angry. Waiting 24 hours to cool down before deciding on a plan has usually served me well.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:30 pm
Simply bill as if the lesson had happened. (It did happen. The teacher taught. What happened inside the student is the student's concern, nobody else's.)

If she has the nerve to question or not pay, sweetly drop her. However, she won't.

Ignore the whole thing and keep going and keep charging.

Don't answer emails: if you email "that's ok, we all make mistakes" that could easily mean "that's ok, you don't have to pay".

So just do nothing.

It simply is not your problem.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:05 pm
And that's why now I ask payment in advance... Sad (((hugs)))

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:14 pm
I dont know how to phrase this correctly but can you say something like because it was the first time you will only charge her 1/2 the fee but if it happens again you will need to charge your full fee.
Say something like your normal policy is to charge your full fee if a session is cancelled in under 24 hours. Because you know she is a good client so you will make an exception to your rule and only charge her half price.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't apologize unless it was in response to something she says or after this is resolved. You weaken your negotiating position because you are now coming at it from the POV that both parties are at fault.

Yes, but I believe in owning up to my mistakes. It was a mistake not to clarify this policy beforehand, and that mistake may have affected the outcome.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:22 pm
No. You are over-analyzing. That is like saying you shouldn't have left your foot there when somebody stepped on it.

Your slightly incautious business method does not put any burden on you for her not keeping her side of the bargain.

If you only charge half for missed sessions, you have just halved your rate.

Do nothing. Send the usual bill.

In the future, you might have a pre-understood policy of no charge at all if given 48 hours notice of a cancellation. Otherwise, it's get there and be charged, or don't get there and still be charged.

Line up other people to waitlist.

If you want to be nice about this, you will have to charge one percent more in general. Just the way stores have to charge the nice people a little more, to make up for the occasional shoplifter.

If they don't do that, they go out of business.

Niceness costs somewhere. You get to choose where.

You will do what feels right to you.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:03 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Yes, but I believe in owning up to my mistakes. It was a mistake not to clarify this policy beforehand, and that mistake may have affected the outcome.

Angry Sequoia's goal is to be paid. She needs to negotiate in a no nonsense strong point that she is a professional and she expects to be treated as a professional without using those words. She doesn't come across as someone who acted professional, instead she comes across weak, when apologizing in her initial conversation for not professionally stating her policies.

I would latch onto her apology if I didn't want to pay her and say that we both acted wrong and you weren't clear as you admitted and let's go forward with your policy for next time.

I would apologize if the client brought it up and then focus right back on her daughter's not respecting my time.

Sequoia clearly wants to be compensated.

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
Angry Sequoia's goal is to be paid. She needs to negotiate in a no nonsense strong point that she is a professional and she expects to be treated as a professional without using those words. She doesn't come across as someone who acted professional, instead she comes across weak, when apologizing in her initial conversation for not professionally stating her policies.

I'm surprised you see an apology as showing weakness. On the contrary, it shows strength, and that's also true in the professional world. The other party may become more amenable to negotiations and a conversation if some humility is shown.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:10 pm
Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's mine, amother (????).

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:16 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm surprised you see an apology as showing weakness. On the contrary, it shows strength, and that's also true in the professional world. The other party may become more amenable to negotiations and a conversation if some humility is shown.

That has been my experience in the business world (and personally as well). People are less aggressive and more agreeable when I'm completely honest and forthcoming.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics