Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Angry sequoia needs your advice
Previous  1  2

kb

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:34 pm
I actually have a very similar situation right now. I did part of a job for a client who decided he doesn't want it. I'm going to have to decide whether to bill for it or not.

Sequoia, I think if it was a long term client I would tell them that my general policy is to charge (you decide - full or partial amount) for classes not cancelled within a certain amount of time. I will waive it once since I had never informed them of my policy but next time I would charge them unless I was informed of the cancellation within x amount of time.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:47 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm surprised you see an apology as showing weakness. On the contrary, it shows strength, and that's also true in the professional world. The other party may become more amenable to negotiations and a conversation if some humility is shown.

While an apology may or may not show strength of character, an admission of wrong doing weakens her position. The focus of the initial discussion should be about a teenager who didn't show up for a service contacted for not whether the professional was negligent.

It is a fallacy that an apology always shows strength. It depends on why one apologizes. Sometimes someone is forced into it because of unequal bargaining positions.

The timing of the apology is also important.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 7:38 pm
I think it is a matter of personal style whether one apologizes for not having been clear from the beginnng about no-show policy. I myself would say it, but it really depends on the person.

The different options suggested -- charge full cost, charge half cost, charge half cost just once, or no charge this time, but clear policy for future -- will all work. Which one is right depends on the individual and/or the relationships. I tend to agree with Dolly that a smple, professionsl presentation of the bill works best.

I find that charging in advance keeps clients more responsible about showing up. But if I want the freedom to cancel, too, then I charge after the fact.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics