Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How long after giving birth do you have to fast on Tsha bav?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:15 pm
How long after giving birth do you have to fast on Tsha bav? Havent asked my doctor or rav yet just wondering.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:19 pm
You need to ask a shayla. Every person is different. I have a heter not to fast while pregnant because I fast really badly. If you're concerned, that's a sign that you probably will get some kind of heter (like eating with shiurim)

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:29 pm
I think 30 days

suzyq

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:32 pm
If you have a baby within 30 days of Tisha B'Av, you for sure don't have to fast (that was me last year). If it's more than that, ask a rav.

momX4

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:06 pm
one tisha bav was during a heat wave. I was exclusively nursing a 9 month old. I was told not to fast at all because of health risks.

It never hurts to ask.

edit: I remember now that it was a "nidcha". Tisha bav was pushed off from Shabbos to Sunday that year.

Last edited by momX4 on Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:11 pm
30 days for tisha bav.

YK tho... I had a baby on sunday (daled tishrei) and yk was that shabbos and I had to fast Confused
b"h it went better then expected.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:14 pm
ask ask ask

I get shiurim even for part time nursing (big baby) bh

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:35 pm
My Dayan hold that you don't have to fast tisha ba'av if pregnant or nursing. (I'm not sure until what age nursing. Definitely until 1).

However, we are chassidish and seem to be more lenient than others when it comes to this.

proudema

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:45 pm
I'll be asking my Rav this shayla. I just gave birth a couple days ago. I remember one year I was nursing and the Rav said I don't have to fast.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 4:09 pm
I was due to have my 3rd C-section around 9 Av. I had some flexibility with setting the date so I asked my Rav if I should have it done during the 3 weeks or wait until after 9 Av. He answered that there is no issue of avoiding the 3 weeks for giving birth (when flexible) and it would be great to give birth before 9 Av so that I wouldn't fast. I ended up having my c 8 Av and didn't fast.

miami85

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:45 pm
30 days for sure not. I had this exact situation, it was motzai Shabbos (nidche) so definitely not, but making havdala was more complicated at night so I waited until the morning.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:37 pm
For some reason I always assumed it was three days (I guess confusing with YK) but someone recently told me they were told five days (ok it was my mil and it could be she's forgetting because it was relevant with dh's birth) but everyone else is telling me 30 days. I'm due one week before tisha b'av and the doc will induce me by Friday the latest so may just end up within the three days prior anyway.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:43 pm
Asked Shaleh and they said 30 days it was 28 so I didn't fast. But everyone needs ask alone...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:48 pm
I was told thirty days.

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:09 pm
30 days, but ask.

DS#4 was born 10 Tammuz and that year 9Av was nidche, so it was the 31st day. I have a heter to drink water on 9Av anyway because I dehydrate easily, but that year I was told to eat normally; because it was nidche and I had a newborn I was exempt.

Don't know yet what is happening this year if I can drink or not; first time in 9 years not a "meineket" or pregnant (though my 2 y.o. is still nursing 2-3 times a day!).

Liebs

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:34 pm
Marion wrote:
30 days, but ask. .............................
Don't know yet what is happening this year if I can drink or not; first time in 9 years not a "meineket" or pregnant (though my 2 y.o. is still nursing 2-3 times a day!).

If meineket (nursing?) don't have to fast? If EBF 3 month old?
is that only in Isrel bec so hot?

losingweight

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:37 pm
For 30 days you're not allowed to fast on after birth. For Yom Kippur it's 3 days.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 4:22 am
we are very chasidish. my grandfather z"l a well known rav didnt let any woman who is exclusively nurse fast on t"b. regardless of baby's age. its not a question for amothers but for a rav.

hot pink

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:26 pm
I was told only 3 days (!!!) but bH I only needed 2. BH baby was early!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:56 pm
Mazel Tov to Proudema.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note