Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you pay out of pocket for speech therapy?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:20 pm
I'm a speech therapist currently working in a hospital (peds). I'm considering starting a small side business seeing clients in my home. I don't want to have the hassle of billing insurance, so I'm thinking I'll do private pay only. Do you think this will limit my client base too much? And, if you've paid out of pocket for a private SLP, how did you hear about her? Thank you!!

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:23 pm
I would, but only if I trust your credentials. If your degree is from Raizel Reit or TTI, I would not pay for that.

I understand I'm in the minority, though. I know most people would only get what's paid for by the insurance company.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:25 pm
I have and I plan on doing it again. My insurance only covers 90 sessions and my kids needed more then that.
And what they get in school is worthless if it its really needed.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:31 pm
last summer I was seriously considering private speech therapy for my boys. My insurance wouldnt cover it. My pediatrician recommended someone, but we couldnt afford it. ($100 X twice a week X 10 weeks - for 2 boys)

The other place where I would get recommendation from is my kids speech therapist that the school provides.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:33 pm
While I do pay out of pocket for speech therapy, I consider your attitude of "I don't want the hassle of billing" insensitive.

The speech therapists that I know that bill insurance still put me on the hook for their total amount (and at their prices, it's pretty high) so whatever the insurance doesn't cover is my responsibility. But in a country where - just because I have a child who has problems - I'm now on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars of therapy that no charity organization recognizes, I'd say perhaps you should attempt to help your clientele as much as possible, both therapeutically and financially. My child isn't a cash cow, thanks, and if you're going to be earning a living off of his misfortune, at least try to help the family as much as you can.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:39 pm
Maya wrote:
I would, but only if I trust your credentials. If your degree is from Raizel Reit or TTI, I would not pay for that.

I understand I'm in the minority, though. I know most people would only get what's paid for by the insurance company.

I pay thousands out of pocket for various therapies, and I couldn't care less where they got their degree from. Your attitude is judgmental and wrong. There are great therapists from TTI and there are lousy therapists from the best colleges. Same with any profession, doctors, lawyers etc.
Trusting credentials is getting great recommendations. If patients were satisfied and successful with said therapist, that's all the credentials I need. I never asked which college they graduated from.

21young

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
While I do pay out of pocket for speech therapy, I consider your attitude of "I don't want the hassle of billing" insensitive.

The speech therapists that I know that bill insurance still put me on the hook for their total amount (and at their prices, it's pretty high) so whatever the insurance doesn't cover is my responsibility. But in a country where - just because I have a child who has problems - I'm now on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars of therapy that no charity organization recognizes, I'd say perhaps you should attempt to help your clientele as much as possible, both therapeutically and financially. My child isn't a cash cow, thanks, and if you're going to be earning a living off of his misfortune, at least try to help the family as much as you can.

Why is OP being insensitive? She's looking to make money, same as you or me. If you don't want to use her and opt to go to someone who accepts insurance, you're welcome to, but she doesn't have to make less as a chesed to the community.

OP, I would pay privately for a superb SLP; the one I was thinking of using only takes cash, and she is all booked! However, you have to have a reputation that precedes you. Also, as Maya said, I would only use you if you had the proper credentials.
The specific SLP I was thinking of using privately specializes in a certain area, and she only opened up privately after years of working in EI. She is by now recognized as an expert in the field, and her reputation justifies her steep prices.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a speech therapist currently working in a hospital (peds). I'm considering starting a small side business seeing clients in my home. I don't want to have the hassle of billing insurance, so I'm thinking I'll do private pay only. Do you think this will limit my client base too much? And, if you've paid out of pocket for a private SLP, how did you hear about her? Thank you!!

No.

There are dozens of SLTs who will accept payment from our local Board of Education to work with children after school hours. There are still more who accept insurance (even if our insurance covers only some sessions). Unless you have some specialized skill that none of these other therapists possess, or offer a special program (e.g, we did pay out of pocket for an SLT to administer Fast ForWord, which was not covered by insurance or the BOE), I would see no reason to pay out of pocket.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:

I pay cash for therapy. My therapists will give me a bill for their services, IF I can fight it out with my insurance company. A therapist is in business to make money. They are entitled to do it any which way they choose. They don't have to help their clients financially. They have to care about the patient, show devotion and offer great therapy. They don't have to help the family. I understand your pain and frustration, but venting at the therapist for not helping you financially makes no sense.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:45 pm
Barbara wrote:
No.

There are dozens of SLTs who will accept payment from our local Board of Education to work with children after school hours. There are still more who accept insurance (even if our insurance covers only some sessions). Unless you have some specialized skill that none of these other therapists possess, or offer a special program (e.g, we did pay out of pocket for an SLT to administer Fast ForWord, which was not covered by insurance or the BOE), I would see no reason to pay out of pocket.

what she said. I have paid for someone amazing, that my son needed more than what he got from BOE. She first took BOE and then billed me. It was worth it because he really made a ton of progress. As soon as he no longer needed such intensive therapy, I stopped and just got from BOE. It wasn't worth the thousands of dollars unless a) kid really needed it b) he/she was that amazing c) kid made significant progress.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:47 pm
21young wrote:
Why is OP being insensitive? She's looking to make money, same as you or me. If you don't want to use her and opt to go to someone who accepts insurance, you're welcome to, but she doesn't have to make less as a chesed to the community.

OP, I would pay privately for a superb SLP; the one I was thinking of using only takes cash, and she is all booked! However, you have to have a reputation that precedes you. Also, as Maya said, I would only use you if you had the proper credentials.
The specific SLP I was thinking of using privately specializes in a certain area, and she only opened up privately after years of working in EI. She is by now recognized as an expert in the field, and her reputation justifies her steep prices.

She's not going to be making any less money by charging insurance. But -in her words - it's such a "hassle". No one is asking for her to donate free services, but it's not unreasonable to allow for parents to find multiple ways to pay her. Sorry it's such a "hassle", but so is trying to borrow money to pay for therapy.

Just because you know a talented person that charges a fortune and wants "cash only" (hmmmm. Tax evasion?) doesn't mean that it's the correct thing to do.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:48 pm
Quote:
But in a country where - just because I have a child who has problems - I'm now on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars of therapy that no charity organization recognizes, I'd say perhaps you should attempt to help your clientele as much as possible, both therapeutically and financially. My child isn't a cash cow, thanks, and if you're going to be earning a living off of his misfortune, at least try to help the family as much as you can.

Whoa! I think you misinterpreted. FTR one of my kids has special needs and we've had to max out a credit card to pay for everything he needs. I know how tough it can be financially. But, from the perspective of me as an SLP, my expertise is treating children with communication difficulties. I don't know anything about billing except that it's a major hassle and the insurance companies make everything a mess. So if I'm looking to do something on the side with a few clients, it just doesn't make sense to get involved with insurance. It would mean many hours of learning how to do billing, and many hours getting set up as an approved provider with all the different insurances, and then doing the back and forth with them when they dispute something. Just doesn't make sense financially for me, unless I would charge more to make up the difference, which I don't want to do.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:50 pm
We do and have been doing so for many years. Our previous insurance only covered therapists who were lousy. (No out of network benefits for SLP). Our current insurance won't cover at all for developmental issues. We have no choice. It's really hard getting a decent SLP and we're paying a fortune. I got the name via the apraxia org site and also checked on PROMPT. Specialties are important as are recommendations. We're in NNJ.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:55 pm
That's exactly my specialty: apraxia (CAS). I'm passionate about helping these kids, and most of my colleagues don't know what the heck they're doing with the apraxia kids. It upsets me to see parents going to SLPs who diddle around trying stuff that isn't going to work with these kids. Exploding anger

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:55 pm
When I find someone EXCELLENT I'll pay for that. Often it happens that we'll start with someone - let's say in the school - and then she leaves to go to private practice. If I LOVED her work, I'll follow her. Credentials matter to me - but only 25%. The other 75% is how good her work is. I won't hire someone inexperienced or not credentialed, no matter what, but an experienced, excellent therapist (and I mean OT,PT, Speech, ABA etc) even with a TTI degree - I'll use them.
And I've gotten people INTO private practice. There was a social skills therapist working with my son - I saw she was excellent. The school gave me an awful slot, so I hired her privately for the slot I felt was best for my son (during English recess, when her job for the day was already over) and it worked out great. I paid a lot, but it was worth it.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:

OP, where are you located? Your chances of success change depending on your market.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:00 pm
I'm in a mid-size OOT community.

21young

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
She's not going to be making any less money by charging insurance. But -in her words - it's such a "hassle". No one is asking for her to donate free services, but it's not unreasonable to allow for parents to find multiple ways to pay her. Sorry it's such a "hassle", but so is trying to borrow money to pay for therapy.

Just because you know a talented person that charges a fortune and wants "cash only" (hmmmm. Tax evasion?) doesn't mean that it's the correct thing to do.

The hassle will cause her to be paid less by taking insurance.
A) You either have to hire a medical biller to bill for you or you have to spend lots of time billing, for which you don't get paid. Either of these cuts into your gross profits
B) Insurance companies usually reimburse at a very low rate, and it's very difficult to negotiate with them

I also have a special needs child and I also have thousands of dollars in expenses as a result. But the last person I would be mad at is the therapist, for trying to make an honest living. As to the therapist I was thinking of using who takes cash - I'm happy for her. She worked hard for many years to get to where she is, and it's my choice whether I wan to use her.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:04 pm
My best suggestion is SPECIALIZE in something that most people don't do. Like language, critical thinking, dyslexic kids, ADHD, or social skills. Anyone can do articulation or feeding. I find that when my kids get articulation help, there's no difference between free Board of Ed providers and private. But the other stuff - Not everyone can do those things.
debsey

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:27 pm
I have a friend who is a speech therapist working full time, private pay only (of course she declares everything and pays taxes Confused ) She actually has a waiting list of people who want to use her. However, she is EXCELLENT. Really really skilled and effective, so people feel it's worth it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics