Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My baby broke her hand

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:56 pm
Sad I know accidents happen and it was an accident, but I feel so guilty. I always stay one step ahead of my toddler but this time I guess I wasn't fast enough. Now I feel like I need to keep a constant eye and I can't relax my guard even though I have other children and responsibilities. It's not letting me sleep at night!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:58 pm
These things happen. It doesn't mean that you aren't a good mother! Refuah shelaimah and please calm down. Your baby will be fine and wont even remember this!

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:35 pm
These things are so traumatic for us mothers! Unless there was some real neglect going on, you really aren't at fault. Kids will get themselves hurt sometimes. But I know it's hard not to eat yourself up. I was (possibly still am?) traumatized by DD's stitches much more than she ever was!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:43 pm
The kid will look to you in her need to asses how tragic this is. Here is the answer: ooh, an ouch, my little shepsle. However no need to put your affairs in order: it is not fatal just exceedingly annoying. It isn't permanent and will get better and you will eventually be all right.

That is what she needs.

What you need is a hug.

Apply to the one who promised to supply them, as needed, her father.

There, there.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:38 am
Amother because of identifying details.
Years ago my father was carrying me down the stairs. I was about 14 months. My father fell and broke his collarbone. I hear it took a day till they figured out that I broke my leg in the process. My parents got over it LOL

One of my kids pushed my 3 y.o. son. I don't think it was malicious. He broke his foot in the process.

Here's the thing. If there is something you could have done maybe you can be a bit more vigilant. But don't be neurotic and don't blame yourself. Stuff happens. Hug

busydev

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:24 am
DS fell and broke his leg when he was 10.5 mo. he was sitting in the passenger seat (of a parked car) and fell a few inches to the foot well and that was that.

he had just started walking and was soon crusing around with his cast and was walking again within a couple weeks of taking it off. little kids are resilient, they can get thru alot.

they also can get hurt even with every safety measure in place. so dont blame yourself. these things happen.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Amother because of identifying details.
Years ago my father was carrying me down the stairs. I was about 14 months. My father fell and broke his collarbone. I hear it took a day till they figured out that I broke my leg in the process. My parents got over it LOL

I had a similar experience with my oldest - I fell down the steps holding her, and she fractured her leg. I tried so hard to protect her, I was devastated that she was hurt.

B"H no lasting repercussions. She's a teen now and seems no worse for the wear.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:38 pm
Also posting anonymously because many people know this about me:
I was watching my crawling baby like a hawk...and he STILL burned his hand terribly--spent a full 2 weeks hospitalized in a burn center. (I'm glad he doesn't remember it) but for certain the absolute most horrible thing I have done (and hope to ever do) as a parent is hold your baby during burn care.
still haunts me. Because people who know me know how carefully and neurotic I can be about babyproofing and safety.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics