Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Intern not being accurate about hours worked
1  2  Next

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 9:51 am
We have a summer intern working in my team and I'm responsible for approving his timesheets. I've noticed that sometimes he overstates his hours slightly. For example, one day this week he put down that he started at 8:45 and left at 5:15, but he actually came in at 9 and left at 5. I'm bit uncomfortable approving it this way since I'd be certifying that it's correct, but I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is. These are the different options I see:

1. Approve it anyway and assume it's a given that some employees estimate when filling out their timesheets and the firm is OK with this.
2. Ask him about it. This would be super awkward but I wouldn't accuse him of anything. I'd just ask him to make sure his start and end times were accurate. I don't know if I should give specific examples that I know are wrong. If I do he will think I'm watching him like a hawk (I'm not, but if he comes in a few minutes after me and I get in right before 9 then obviously he wasn't there at 8:45). If I don't he might just say OK and not actually fix the ones that are wrong. If he doesn't then there's always option 3.
3. As the timesheet approver I can make updates to the timesheet, so I can change the start and end times that I know are wrong. If I do this should I let him know or not say anything?
4. Speak with my manager and ask him what to do. He might even offer to speak with him.

What do you think is best choice? TIA.

self-actualization

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:07 am
Is he getting paid for his time? If not, then I would go with choice #1 and not say anything.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:07 am
I don't know what to do about the previous sheet, but maybe you can "change the policy" in the future and have him sign in and out with you each day, so you can check the time together at the moment.

Asking the manager is not a bad idea; it would help clarify what your role as "timesheet approver" should include...

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:15 am
self-actualization wrote:
Is he getting paid for his time? If not, then I would go with choice #1 and not say anything.

He's getting paid. That's why he has to book his time, so the system can calculate how much we should pay him.

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:21 am
seeker wrote:
I don't know what to do about the previous sheet, but maybe you can "change the policy" in the future and have him sign in and out with you each day, so you can check the time together at the moment.

Asking the manager is not a bad idea; it would help clarify what your role as "timesheet approver" should include...

In theory that would work, but I don't want him to feel like I'm babysitting him and don't trust him. I agree that it might just be best to discuss with my manager since I'm likely to have other employees' timesheets to approve in the future.

kb

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:28 am
Send him an email saying please make sure to keep your hours worked accurate or I will not be able to honestly approve your time sheets. Nothing face to face, and he can choose his reaction in his own time.

suzyq

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:41 am
I would speak with your manager.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:55 am
I'm not sure I would get too het up about 15 mins, unless you are certain he was not elsewhere in the building, liaising with someone or reviewing papers while sitting having a morning coffee? Or has he been told to bill for travel as well, or considers work time to be the minute he steps into the building, even if he cycles and then has to shower before coming into the office.

But if he consistently overestimates, and the extra hours add up to a lot, I might say something casual to him, like "I noticed you put this time, but I didn't see you your desk until that time, were you in a meeting?".

Also depends on his overall performance, how dedicated or hardworking he is etc.

kb

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:07 am
My reason to bring his attention to it is because he's an intern - he's just starting off his business career. And if he's starting off with such a business ethic, it's just going to get worse. I'd want to nip it in the bud (even if he doesn't appreciate my attitude) because it's to his benefit. People like trustworthy employees, not workers who try to sneak a bit more pay every day.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:24 am
I interned and my college professor let you do things like that. They just want you to get the hours in as soon as possible. At the same time, I was not paid. I would never, ever do something like that if you are getting paid to do a job. That is unethical.

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:25 am
Frumdoc wrote:
I'm not sure I would get too het up about 15 mins, unless you are certain he was not elsewhere in the building, liaising with someone or reviewing papers while sitting having a morning coffee? Or has he been told to bill for travel as well, or considers work time to be the minute he steps into the building, even if he cycles and then has to shower before coming into the office.

But if he consistently overestimates, and the extra hours add up to a lot, I might say something casual to him, like "I noticed you put this time, but I didn't see you your desk until that time, were you in a meeting?".

Also depends on his overall performance, how dedicated or hardworking he is etc.

He's definitely not paid for travel time and his type of work requires him to be at a computer so it would be hard for him to sit around somewhere else and do it. I know it seems to be nitpicking about 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there, and that's why I was debating whether to let it slide, but it's more about the fact that I have to sign off on it and that sort of makes me feel like I'm lying if I know it's wrong. I don't know the exact minute he comes in and leaves everyday so I understand it's usually an estimate, but it's different when it's blatantly wrong and I would in essence be saying that I'm agreeing that the times are right.

self-actualization

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:32 am
What about lunch - is there a mandatory lunch period that he might be staying at his desk for? It seems weird to overbill for just 30 min a day - maybe he feels he needs to do this in order to compensate for a time period when he was in fact working and not able to bill.

moonstone

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:34 am
I would definitely say something to him. He's adding a half hour a day to his timesheet- that's 2 1/2 hours a week. I call that stealing, and you'd be doing him a kindness letting him know that in the real world, you can get in a lot of trouble for fudging your hours like that.

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:04 pm
I would come right out and tell him his timesheets are not accurate and the mistakes always favor him. He is not estimating. He is fudging. By bringing it to your manager you are telling him that your Intern is stealing from the company. I would handle it quietly.

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:52 pm
self-actualization wrote:
What about lunch - is there a mandatory lunch period that he might be staying at his desk for? It seems weird to overbill for just 30 min a day - maybe he feels he needs to do this in order to compensate for a time period when he was in fact working and not able to bill.

I thought about that. He does go out for lunch and he does reflect that on his timesheet. If he planned on taking a half hour lunch and then only actually uses 15 minutes then he should just put down that he took a 15 minute lunch. He should be honest and not try to make the numbers neat. Unless someone told him that he has to book at least a half an hour, which is something I wouldn't know without asking him or my manager. I also thought maybe he was making up for staying later one day, but he had no problem putting down that he left at 5:30 earlier in the week so I don't think that's it.

Also, just to be clear, I don't think he's adding a half an hour every single day, but he's definitely not always accurate.

ElTam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:25 pm
Change it. Tell him why you are changing it. And tell him you expect him to be accurate in the future.

happyfam

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:34 pm
ElTam wrote:
Change it. Tell him why you are changing it. And tell him you expect him to be accurate in the future.

I do want to consider the fact that he has a reasonable explanation, so if I do talk to him about it I think I have to pose it as a question rather than look like I'm accusing him. I'm thinking it might be better to talk to him rather than go to my manager because this way he has a chance to explain himself if he had a reason.

I appreciate all the responses, it's helping me to process my thoughts.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:38 pm
I would definitely speak to him first, in a non confrontational way, next time he hands it in or take an opportune moment to tell him you've noticed he is not being so accurate, please could he log his times more closely, or you will have to keep monitoring him, which is not how one behaves in a professional workplace.

momofqts

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 3:40 pm
btdt. I found this to work well:approach him in a calm, pleasant manner, not accusing/confrontational manner BEFORE he fills out his next timesheet. Make it about your discomfort and not his honesty. after all, youre not looking to teach him work ethics, you just dont want to be involved in his dishonesty. tell him what you noticed last time and it made you uncomfortable to sign, puts you in a tough spot. and ask him if he can make sure all times are 100% accurate before bringing it to you so you can sign without hestation.
This also allows him to give any necessary explanations (if there are any)
Good Luck!

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 4:47 pm
I would definitely address it with him before going to your manager. If you ask him about it and he continues to be inaccurate, then I would bring it to the manager.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics