Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Searching for modern yeshivish com in USA/Canada
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:49 pm
In light of current events, of several relatives moving and of the kids's school probably not managing to open a middle school...
We are opened to relocating if we find better Smile (no debate on aliah thanks please)

So, tell me which places feature:

At least one school that way = all grades, fine chol for girls (ability to graduate at school or with some supplementing), decent (more is better) chol for boys (so we supplement). Not going to go into your house to check your internet (will be filtered or even forbidden to kids, we use it) or ask your kids to draw your bedroom as I read... BOTH GENDERS. Ideally most kids tznius outside of school. Stable enough to not close down after a couple years... No Gemorrah for girls. Open to reading clean chol, intellectuality. Where my girls won't be the only ones covering their legs in gan. Not Chabad. We probably cannot pay more than 500 dollars by child, so either grants or less expensive. This is very important if it's like 800+ forget it.

the crowd using the aforementioned school Wink

no rat race, no money competition, laid back, no balabuster competition, not intrusive

Ashkenazi majority or at least big minority. Nice if some yekkes.

warm, welcoming, or just not racist against Euros

At least one shul. A clean mikve and a butchery (real one not supermarket all packed stuff) in driving distance. Ideally at least a restaurant accessible.

If possible a kollel and a yeshiva (post 18).

Ideally an eruv, and a post high school frum Touro type.

The area in walking distance of the shul (inside the eruv if eruv) not too expensive. We're not professionals etc and need several bedrooms (3 at minimum). Maybe say a house or big apartment 1000 sq ft to buy under 300 000$ or rent under 1500$/months.

We'll check ourselves, but not a mega hot, mega wet weather. Every summer here already I swear I move to Iceland. LOL

Heard there are places giving financial or green card (?) help to move there, either for kollel or for working. Both interest us but "a shul in NJ or a community in LA" doesn't help much we need details Wink
Please no "you're picky" comments. Smile

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:51 pm
"We probably cannot pay more than 500 dollars by child, so either grants or less expensive. This is very important if it's like 800+ forget it."

Is this per month for each child's tuition?

boysrus

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:55 pm
Tuition in the states is a killer, Ruchel.
Have you thought about England instead? Much closer to France! Tuition is more negotiable ifyour kids are in state-aided schools. I believe Manchester is attracting a large number of younger couples these days, and I think it meets a lot of your criteria.

Btw, always remember, no community and no school is perfect.
good luck on this journey

mirror

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:03 pm
Unless you plan on homeschooling...

http://www.room613.net/members/room613

From another thread:

Quote:
In Cincinnati we get government vouchers of $4,250 per kid, so that about halves our tuition bill. And according to the state law, if a family is a certain percentage below the poverty line, the school cannot charge the difference between tuition and the voucher (and the school has to agree to this in order to participate in the voucher program).

Last edited by mirror on Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:06 pm
Would you consider teaching at a day school? Many give substantial breaks to teachers, which would help alleviate the tuition issues and give you a broader range of communities to consider. Just a thought.

I can't say I'm surprised that you are considering this. Just yesterday, I spoke to a friend whose family is mostly in France, and they are largely considering emigration. I'm sure this must be a difficult time, and a difficult decision, so I wanted to wish you much luck.

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:15 pm
If French is your kids' mother tongue, Montreal might be appropriate.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:27 pm
Wow, that is a huge decision to make. I can't help with suggestions, but wishing you much hatzlacha.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:33 pm
THANKS LADIES!

self-actualization wrote:
"We probably cannot pay more than 500 dollars by child, so either grants or less expensive. This is very important if it's like 800+ forget it."

Is this per month for each child's tuition?

Yes, per child, per month.

Thanks Boysrus! unfortunately we have heard of "problems" in manchester with antisemitism growing. True or not? We're not quite looking for perfection. But yes we are picky but realistic with what we can handle Smile

Opinionated: we're not planning to homeschool Smile Is there a fitting kehila in Cincinnati?

Barbara: I may, though I'm not considering FT work at all. I hope we won't have to leave, but we need to keep options opened if it doesn't calm down. Of course it will be terrible to leave.

Deep: There isn"t at all a fitting school for boys if you speak French afaik. By law you cannot go to the English schools.

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:25 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Deep: There isn"t at all a fitting school for boys if you speak French afaik. By law you cannot go to the English schools.

Are you closer to Bais Yakov/ Yeshiva Gedolah or to Hebrew Academy type? Both BY and HA have a Section Francaise for children who are ineligible under Bill 101. I don't know about YG, but they are closely associated with BY so they might have one too.

devo1982

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:45 pm
I've been wondering and praying for the safety of you and your family as I read more and more sickening stories of what's happening in France. I'm sorry you feel it might come to leaving, but I completely understand. I have no useful advice re: communities.

IYH everything calms down, though I can't say I'm optimistic Sad.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:57 pm
Deep wrote:
Are you closer to Bais Yakov/ Yeshiva Gedolah or to Hebrew Academy type? Both BY and HA have a Section Francaise for children who are ineligible under Bill 101. I don't know about YG, but they are closely associated with BY so they might have one too.

From what I was told of BY it seems good for us. YG may lack some chol also no high school or something?
I don't know Hebrew Academy. Someone mentionned to me YG may have, but no one was able to tell me for sure lol.

Devo, I'm a scaredy cat. As a whole (in majority) people don't feel like me around me. Our life bh hasn't changed much. But I'm the type to always wonder and think what happens in 15 yrs etc... so, since there is no middle school we are craaaazy about, we think MAYBE let's kill two birds with one stone.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:21 pm
PM me about Cincinnati. I was actually thinking it met most of your criteria.

nylon

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:27 pm
I think your ability to get a visa is crucial here. Canada is easier for skilled immigration than the US and Quebec gives extra points to French speakers (but English is still very helpful for work). If you are not professionals, do you have family anywhere that will sponsor you?

Otherwise I think the UK is it and London is definitely too expensive, it would have to be Manchester.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:06 pm
Montreal has a really nice community school. The people are nice. It's small and close knit.

Wishing you and your family the best of Mazel! In France or wherever you decide to move.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:12 pm
check out houston http://www.relocatehouston.org/

I think it checks all your boxes besides for a yeshiva gedolah

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
check out houston http://www.relocatehouston.org/

I think it checks all your boxes besides for a yeshiva gedolah

Houston is mega hot and the tuition is far from what she can afford.

I think that you can eliminate almost every community in the US based on the tuition criteria. Your best bets here are communities in locales that offer tuition vouchers, but I don't know enough about those places to say more.

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:37 pm
Ruchel wrote:
From what I was told of BY it seems good for us. YG may lack some chol also no high school or something?
I don't know Hebrew Academy. Someone mentionned to me YG may have, but no one was able to tell me for sure lol.

BY is a very high-caliber school (inside info - a family member works there!). I'm pretty sure that YG goes to the end of high school. Chol is weak in comparison to BY, but I believe that they are accredited, write all government exams and earn a recognized diploma.

rain

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:08 pm
BAltimore! I think it fits everything!!

Housing is very reasonable, a friend of mine just bought a four bedroom house for about 260,000$
schooling is also much cheaper there, and if you get a job in a school, even part time, I'm sure you can get a discount
tons of different types of people, schools, restaurants...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:11 pm
Baltimore tuition is on average in the 9000s....

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:34 pm
how I wish kiryas yoel would fit your criteria (at least the tuition does)...I'd love to have you here!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating