Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Searching for modern yeshivish com in USA/Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:48 am
Tzioni yes, though I should also say that while the schools may not emphasize it to the same degree, in middle of the road schools you may encounter some very tzioni families. Aside from a few places (generally LWMO) I wouldn't consider American MO "progressive oriented" at least as how I would understand that as an American.

Keep in mind that as you go more to the right you will also encounter a mentality that is not very European and probably won't have the secular standards you are accustomed to--American schools in particular don't get much regulation from the government in terms of curriculum, and we don't have a standardized one to compare to like France. I think you will be more comfortable with middle of the road schools or non-Brooklyn/Lakewood type BY.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 11:17 am
True, true. All relative. There's a saying we're 10 years behind (at least) on progressiveness, either positive or negative, but I have a feeling on Jewish progressive it's much more. We just have a budding movement of feminist MO (a few years), for example, and I am not close to that crowd.

Families are no problem Wink we just do not feel we would fit in a very aliya oriented, big on yom hatzmaut crowd (nor in a vocally anti YH).

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 11:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
True, true. All relative. There's a saying we're 10 years behind (at least) on progressiveness, either positive or negative, but I have a feeling on Jewish progressive it's much more. We just have a budding movement of feminist MO (a few years), for example, and I am not close to that crowd.

Families are no problem Wink we just do not feel we would fit in a very aliya oriented, big on yom hatzmaut crowd (nor in a vocally anti YH).

Most MO schools I know celebrate YH but there is no pressure with it. The kids have fun dancing and singing and wearing blue and white.

I think you would do fine in a RW MO community, but not a LW one. I don't think many MO communities would fit your cost requirements though.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:01 pm
I don't know, Ruchel, I think HAC would be a better fit for you. I would say many of the Mosdos families are cookie cutter American yeshivish who aren't so knowledgeable about things outside their dalet amos. They're perfectly nice good people, and most are not hardcore yeshivish, but they all went to the same schools and camps and did the same things. Good people, but not so interested in the wider world, and I just feel from reading your posts over the years that you'd like a parent body that has wider variety.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:22 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Most MO schools I know celebrate YH but there is no pressure with it. The kids have fun dancing and singing and wearing blue and white.

I think you would do fine in a RW MO community, but not a LW one. I don't think many MO communities would fit your cost requirements though.

Oh sure, the celebration is not a problem! it's when it's a big thing in the school to be tzioni in every day life, to make it a big concept... hard to explain. That's when we feel out of place. You can replace tzioni with anti tzioni or with maximizing female shul involvement or female mega tznius. Wink

Odelyah

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:18 pm
I recommend looking into Waterbury, Connecticut. I think it fits most of your criteria.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:29 pm
thanks! can you tell more?

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:32 pm
This is a good site to learn about Waterbury, CT: http://ykwaterbury.org/

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:35 pm
Feminism like you are talking about is more prevalent in LWMO than RWMO circles. Keep in mind that American congregations can have broader functions and so women's involvement in shul matters can be more complicated than it might seem than in shuls where people come to daven and that's it, even when no one is talking about a women's tefilla group. It's not a simple question of feminism or not. It's a spectrum of course but I see you in the middle, not truly yeshivish but not totally MO.

I also agree that a middle of the road school like HAC that has a more mixed crowd and is not so cookie cutter is going to give you a little bit of openness that you will like. It will not be like an MO school and the secular standard is higher than many yeshivish schools. I wouldn't worry about Gemara--to be honest, I know a number of RWMO/Centrist schools that do not teach it to girls or only teach TSBP, not a real Gemara class.

jkw

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:24 pm
Come to Ottawa, Canada! We have Torah Academy, Ottawa Torah Institute (Chofetz Chaim) and Machon Sarah (girls). Huge kosher section in Loblaws College Square with own butcher.

Plenty of people from other places.

Cheaper than Toronto or Montreal! Beautiful city with parks and bike paths all over.

Also, many jobs look for bilingual French/English here. Ottawa is the seat of the Canadian government.

Think about it...btw, sponsorship takes a while so start the process as soon as you are able...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:06 am
jkw wrote:
Come to Ottawa, Canada! We have Torah Academy, Ottawa Torah Institute (Chofetz Chaim) and Machon Sarah (girls). Huge kosher section in Loblaws College Square with own butcher.

Plenty of people from other places.

Cheaper than Toronto or Montreal! Beautiful city with parks and bike paths all over.

Also, many jobs look for bilingual French/English here. Ottawa is the seat of the Canadian government.

Think about it...btw, sponsorship takes a while so start the process as soon as you are able...

THANK YOU! all classes from gan to 12 grade? open yeshivish type? is there an eruv? like how many restaurants (not important, to get an idea of size)?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:23 am
Still looking... mainly in USA now Smile
Had to nix plenty places around the world that were too expensive, or with as many or more problems than here- oh well...

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 11:04 am
To be honest, there's not much sense looking into US communities unless you and your DH can sort out the visa issues first as nylon and others pointed out. EU is definitely easier both in terms of visa, healthcare.

I must say we have definitely seen more French families and young professionals moving into London. There are several synagogues where you have more French congregants with Frenchi chiourim. To be honest, pretty much major cities, including London, Manchester, Montreal have sizeable Muslim communities. UK Jewish communities have pretty good and visible security arrangements via CST and Hatzola, more than what you have in France according to my local French friends.

School tuitions are definitely within your range, mostly state-aided (so you only pay LK portion) and follows national curriculum. Almost all schools I know don't teach girls gemara (which is actually my gripe). Although main communities like Hendon has become rather expensive in terms of housing costs, there are less expensive neighbourhoods which are attracting more young families. Personally I think London ticks all the boxes in your criteria, except it is in Europe (which is not a bad thing if you want to be closer to your families or shorter flights to Israel).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 11:09 am
London is probably out of prices for real estate and job wise it doesn't seem easy for my husband- he told me not London, I will ask him again.

Manchester isn't an option. Montreal... still on the list for now. And yes as you say there are also many Muslims all there.

If we stay in Europe we stay where we are, at least in the country we are (I hope this is possible, iyh), because if we mix security, chinuch, language, price, culture, family, job... then France wins.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:35 am
Ruchel, did you you check out Waterbury?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:54 am
I did! I don't remember what wasn't ok, but either no girl hs, or classes mixed very old?

Btw London is way out of our means financially.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:08 pm
They do have a girls' HS! It just opened last year with a 9th grade, this year it will have 9th and 10th. And there are no mixed grades anymore except for pre-school. Maybe the info you got was very old. (They had mixed grades in younger elementary when the school was very small.)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:12 pm
So indeed will recheck!! do you have a link or something to the community, that I can read? thanks!! a ton

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:22 pm
Here is the website of the yeshiva k'tana with useful info http://ykwaterbury.org/ (I think li'l israeli posted it earlier-- great idea! Smile). I'd be happy to speak with you-- do you want me to PM you my contact info? Or if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them here.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:23 am
you should look into houston
the heat is not that bad, there is AC everywhere. no such thing as walking into a hot store like you have in the norhteast
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating