Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Healthy Parve Meals for the Nine Days
1  2  3  Next

cooklightr

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:53 pm
Hi!

I am looking for parve healthy meals for the nine days. I would greatly appreciate any ideas and if it is lowfat, that would be even better!

Thanks!!

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:55 pm
Eggs, fish, eggs, fish, eggs, fish.
baked potatoes and lentils
lentil burgers with grated squash inside
acorn squash filled with lentils

Note - no dairy.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:58 pm
I made vegetarian chili (using fake meat) with brown rice and salad tonight.

Other nights thinking of:

eggplant parmesan (bake the eggplant slices and use low fat cheese)

salmon and smashed potatoes, salad or stir fry.

lentil stew with rice or lentil shepherds pie.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:59 pm
Sweet and sour eggplant over rice/pasta/quinoa

Tortilla (egg and potato omelette) and gazpacho

Fish or mushroom tacos

Vegetable pot pie

buster

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:00 pm
I make several variations of tofu stir fry. My DH swore his dislike for tofu well, I've converted him Smile

The latest I made tasted like beef lo mein....even my DH (chinese food lover) was extremely excited about this one.

buster

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:00 pm
I make several variations of tofu stir fry. My DH swore his dislike for tofu.... well, I've converted him Smile

The latest I made tasted like beef lo mein....even my DH (chinese food lover) was extremely excited about this one.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:02 pm
buster wrote:
I make several variations of tofu stir fry. My DH swore his dislike for tofu.... well, I've converted him Smile

recipe pretty please? I have some tofu waiting to be cooked.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:05 pm
So here's the rub.
DH tells me that the reason not to have meat is aveilus and therefore no fancy dishes. Nothing but the absolute bare minimum.

And so our meals for the next days other than shabbos are - lunch - fish and rice and salad. Dinner - Scrambled eggs, toast and an apple.

Hurray (not). But aveilus it is.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:09 pm
Lentils and spinach

Korma-type dishes - eg onions, potatoes, chickpeas, peas and carrots with salt, curry powder and coconut milk. Serve over rice.

Stews and soups - split pea soup, red lentil soup, kohlrabi and carrot soup, sweet potato soup, "hummus soup" (has potatoes, chickpeas, onions, and some tehina in the broth).... etc.

buster

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:12 pm
I don't follow recipes but my inspiration came from: http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....raps/

We like ours hot, so I went heavier on the chilli sauce, and I sauteed mushrooms, onions and eggplant to begin with and then just added very small cubes of tofu (that had been sitting in soy/terriyaki/chilli sauce marinade)

mmm, I'm going to serve the leftovers with rice tomorrow for lunch. So so good.

Were you looking for other tofu recipes? I've posted before....

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:14 pm
ratatouille, served over quinoa or rice.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:55 pm
stuffed peppers - put some quinoa and rice in the stuffing

black beans and rice mixed with salsa

tuna patties

bean burritos

lentil soup

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:56 pm
freidasima wrote:
So here's the rub.
DH tells me that the reason not to have meat is aveilus and therefore no fancy dishes. Nothing but the absolute bare minimum.

And so our meals for the next days other than shabbos are - lunch - fish and rice and salad. Dinner - Scrambled eggs, toast and an apple.

Husband says same. There goes my plan to just order a sushi platter! I'm stocking up on WW bread, buying cheese and eggs and taking out the cheese sandwich maker. Kids can make themselves whatever combos they want.
BTW, I know you said Pareve. I use the cheese sandwich machine even for pareve.
Two of my kids dislike all forms of cheese. Even they can use the cheese sandwich maker - you don't NEED cheese.
Eggs.
spinach/egg whisked together, cooked in cheese sandwich machine (makes kind of a popover thing. It's pretty good, actually)
Tuna sandwich (hot) in cheese sandwich maker
One day, I'll make a lot of waffle batter and everyone can make their own. Easy, and I don't have to deal with any arguments about who does and doesn't like their waffle in which style. Just make it yourselves, guys!
I'm also making a huge salad each day and they can play around with it for lunch and supper (add sauerkraut, israeli pickles, and techina and it's falafel style salad; add feta cheese and black olives and it's greek salad) etc.
I find that if I try to make anything, either DH is upset that I "patchked" and it's supposed to be aveilus OR kids don't eat it anyway.
Thank goodness my big boys eat in daycamp or I'd be sunk.

I have given up trying to be creative. No one eats it and husband disapproves.....
debsey

smiledr

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:21 pm
Today I made two kinds of puréed veggie soup, tuna patties, Greek yogurt latkes, pesto salmon and quinoa w black beans and tomatoes so that'll hold us for the week. Nothing fancy but all healthy.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:48 pm
freidasima wrote:
So here's the rub.

That's how I feel too. It's fun to go all fancy but now's not the time.
You have to cook what will be eaten though so if your crowd only goes for the fancy stuff then I guess you've no choice. We have nice meals all year b'h so during the nine days I step down. Here's to hoping that next year this is a time of joy and celebration.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:51 pm
Www.Kosheronabudget.com has some ideas

cbg

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:16 pm
freidasima wrote:
Eggs, fish, eggs, fish, eggs, fish.
baked potatoes and lentils
lentil burgers with grated squash inside
acorn squash filled with lentils

Note - no dairy.

If it's not too much trouble can you give me the recipe of lentil burgers with grated squash
TIA

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:49 pm
Here's a vegetarian chili recipe my family likes a lot:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/smok.....hili/

Even though the recipe calls for fire-roasted diced tomatoes, I've used regular diced tomatoes and haven't noticed a difference in taste.

Some of my kids like it with cheese or sour cream but it's tasty without.

It goes well with cornbread.

boysrus

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:08 am
freidasima wrote:
So here's the rub.

LIKE!

precisely that. I always find it surprising when my friends are exchanging fancy dairy recipes for the 9 days. for a start, we eat mainly dairy anyway, meat and chicken seem to end up being more expensive. And secondly, the fancy recipes I am talkingabout seem to be more appropriate for shavuous than for the 9 days of miserable aveilus. and G-d knows how much we are feeling the aveilus this year already with so many tragic deaths of our precious Jewish boys who are fighting to protect all the inhabitants of eretz Yisrael. Eini eini yorda mayim, we are already in floods of tears over current events of this year 5774, it is all an extension of our aveilus over Yerushalayim, that we have no stability, no Bais hamikdash. Please Hashem, please end this suffering already.

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:40 am
While I LOVE tofu, I strongly recommend the plant-based meat from 'Beyond Meat.' They have grilled chicken and beefy crumbles - both are light and delicious.

http://beyondmeat.com
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals