Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Plz recommend book of stories

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:36 pm
I'm looking for a collection of short stories of Jewish values to tell to my children. Oldest is turning 4 but I wouldn't mind something she can grow into. I prefer a book with many stories that can last a while. Doesn't have to be picture stories for kids, I'm ok with reading myself and telling over. Maybe like little medrash says except not midrashim - Looking for themes like good midos, emunah, etc. Stories of tzadikim or regular people... I'm sure you get the idea. Just looking for titles.

*Edited because... what kind of autocorrect thinks "Pla" is a more valid English than "Plz?!"

Last edited by seeker on Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:48 pm
stories of king david. this out of print and the stories tend to be long. recommended age is 9-11, I think, but my seven year old loves them.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-.....david

another favorite, for younger listeners: the aleph-bet storybook

http://www.amazon.com/Aleph-Be.....+book

chatz

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:57 pm
The Storyteller by Nissan Mindel (6 vol) - I'd say more for 5+ year olds but you could shorten the stories for younger - I think this really fits what you are looking for.

The Little Midrash says Treasure Chest

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:06 pm
Maybe I'm thinking of something different, but I remember receiving The Storyteller as a bas mitzvah gift and finding it pretty long and interest level just-about-right. I'm looking for something for 4-7 year olds, stories that are short and sweet with a message.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:12 pm
how about gadi pollack's mitzvah book? don't recall the exact title, and the eichler's website isn't cooperating now. it is definitely for a younger age range, and iirc, it has short stories centering around one mitzvah each. as always, his illustrations are great.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:17 pm
Tell Me the Story of the Parsha. A fortune of money but amazing.
I saw that they also have Tell Me the Story of Chesed & Maasim Tovim.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:23 pm
oh, also a favorite of ours (and out of print, but fun):

http://www.amazon.com/What-Moo.....ought

also, by the same author :

http://product.half.ebay.com/B.....=info

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:25 pm
Uncle Yossi's Big Book of Stories?

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:29 pm
Thanks for the leads! Would love to see them keep coming. Anyone know the name of Gadi Pollack's mitzvah book? I browsed his books and didn't see one that met that description...

WHY are all the nice Jewish books so expensive?! I decided I was going to go ahead and spend on this, and yet I'm still having sticker shock!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:42 pm
Mummiedearest, I have the aleph bet book from when I was little and I bought the K'tonton book a couple of years ago because I remembered it from when I was a kid. Smile Too bad I enjoyed it more when I was little Wink . Now they seem dumb.

Bruria

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:18 am
Labels for Laibel is pretty good and teaches sharing, Peanut Butter and Jelly for Shabbos is also good.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:05 am
Based on my 4 y.o.'s preferences...

Round and Round the Jewish Year -excellent series about the events of each month which narrates the miracles of Purim, Pesach, Chanuka etc in the format of a story.

The Shlavim series from Feldheim -great stories with less -than -perfect children which make them more believable and teach midos

Way too much challah dough

I agree with you about cost. Subscribe to Feldheim's emails and find out about discounts.

Mother 4

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:14 am
3minute middos stories for children
I can be a gibbor by Sara Blau
Stories straight from Avis's heart by Chaim walder
Yossi and Laibel;hot on the trail

singleagain

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:07 pm
any of the Chaim Walder "Kid Speak" series, definitely something they will be able to grow into, (possibly even grow into his "People Speak" books too)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:50 pm
I disagree. A lot of the content in those books is very inappropriate for a casual story (a kid who was assaulted, a kid who almost died from tickling, etc)

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I disagree. A lot of the content in those books is very inappropriate for a casual story (a kid who was assaulted, a kid who almost died from tickling, etc)

the our heroes series is better than kids speak. same author.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:07 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Mummiedearest, I have the aleph bet book from when I was little and I bought the K'tonton book a couple of years ago because I remembered it from when I was a kid. Smile Too bad I enjoyed it more when I was little Wink . Now they seem dumb.

I remember k'tonton from first grade, I think my morah must have read it to us. I liked it then. we didn't own that one. I grew up with the aleph bet book, and I own a copy of that now. I still love it, though we don't read it often anymore.

tastes always change. I remember loving the bina, benny, and chagai hayona books when I was in preschool. but there's no way I'm going to buy those. they are LOOOOOONG. and I bought my kids the entire collection of the miroop books (chalky halpern), which I still enjoy because they were part of my childhood. but I'm less willing to like the newer judaica books for kids, aside from anything by gadi pollack. even if the text is long, the illustrations are brilliant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics