Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Fasting For Am Yisrael
1  2  3  Next

RachelLA

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:41 pm
I know this is going to be controversial, so I'm going to preface it by saying please don't use this thread to post your negative opinions.

Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak Shlita in Israel has been doing fasts of 40 days for years now for gzerot, people with cancer, all times of crises. And when I say "he" I mean him and fellow Jews. These fasts are answered.
A 40 day fast means fasting for 40 consecutive days and eating from sundown (when 3 stars are out) to sunrise. Each day, for a total of 40 days. This does not include Chagim, Shabbat and Rosh Chodesh. (If you do 3 days consecutively that is equal to 40 days-- It is also what Queen Esther did).

I would like to fast bli neder after tisha B'Av. Would anyone like to fast with me? I think the more people who fast the more koach we will have in shamayim.

Attached is a link of a video for a lecture given by Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak for a war that happened 2 years ago. It is in Hebrew. We would be fasting for Am Yisrael, for our Chayalim, for Hashem to le'hafer the negative gzerot on Am Israel. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIwcqioeLc

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:48 pm
OP, it's very admirable to want to do this for Klal Yisroel, but not something most people are capable of. Every small mitzvah or improvement in middos we do is precious to Hashem, so I think most people would be more capable of following through on something smaller.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:50 pm
Yup, even I, even I, know you had better leave that to Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak and not do it yourself.

We do NOT make this stuff up as we go along. No strange fires, please.

Eat normally, and daven as your Rav instructs.

These are hard times. It is all too human to lose discipline under the pressure, but that's not good.

Feel better.

black sheep

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:56 pm
Do you have young children? Mothers of young children should not do things to weaken themselves, you need koach to raise kids. And mothers of teenagers really need koach!!! I think it is admirable that you are inspired to do something drastic to help klal yisroel, but please do something a little safer than fasting forty days.

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:19 am
Oy. You guys are very sweet in your worry. But I have done this before. The first week is hardest, then it gets easier. I know other people who have done it too. Every day people-- not just wives but also husbands.

Just wanted to put it out there. Smile

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:45 am
I view this practice as religiously incorrect. Don't brush past that.

I mean no disrespect but if this is anorexia I hope you get treatment and I wish you well.

Feel better.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:47 am
Why don't you discuss this with your own rabbi?

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:34 am
It's very nice that you want to do this but it's a lot more unhealthy for a woman to do this than for a man. Also if you end up being too weak to take care of dh or kids it might not be the right thing to do. If you feel it's I important try calling rav amnon Yitzchak or your rav.

Maybe instead you can say the whole Sefer tehillim every day.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:41 am
I believe Tisha B'Av will be a Y"T this year. Perhaps nobody will be fasting on or after Tisha B'Av.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:55 am
Sounds way too similar to Ramadan. :-s

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:57 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I view this practice as religiously incorrect. Don't brush past that.

I mean no disrespect but if this is anorexia I hope you get treatment and I wish you well.

Feel better.

Now you are insulting. The Baba Sali would fast, so would the Gaon from Vilna.
No offense, you aren't a tzaddik, so to say it isn't for you is one thing. To say it is religiously incorrect is another. And Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak doesn't do "religiously incorrect things." So don't throw accusations at people.

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:00 am
HonesttoGod wrote:

Well it isn't Ramadan.

pesek zman

HonesttoGod wrote:

was gonna say.......

Dolly Welsh

I meant, religiously incorrect for ordinary people. I make no comment on anyone who is a rabbi, let alone a famous one.

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:11 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Why don't you discuss this with your own rabbi?

My Rabbi is Rabbi Amnon Yitchak, שהוא גם צדיק (who is also a tzaddik).

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:14 am
superdanni wrote:
was gonna say.......

Excuse me, but now you are insulting the Jewish Religion. We don't copy them. If anyone copied anyone, they copied us.

King David mentions it in Tehillim, the Chofetz Chaim fasted, the Gaon mi Vilna and many other tzaddikim.
If it isn't for you its one thing, but don't go comparing it to [gentile] holidays when there is nothing similar.

Queen Esther fasted for 40 days too.

This thread wasn't to get support for the practice, it was just to see if anyone wanted to do it and to put it out there. That was it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:19 am
Fine, but has he specifically indicated that ordinary people should do what he does, in this regard?

You can't assume that until you specifically ask him.

Yes, I am sure he or his office would answer such a question. It is a good question and I hope you ask it of him.

I am only concerned we should all have, and do, what is good. I am not being mad at anybody.

RachelLA

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:21 am
Okay. Thanks

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:23 am
RachelLA wrote:
My Rabbi is Rabbi Amnon Yitchak, שהוא גם צדיק (who is also a tzaddik).

This is the person to whom you ask shailot? Did you ask him about fasting?

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:57 pm
While the OP's intentions are admirable, IMPO extra fasting should be left to able bodied men. For women it is enough to fast on the 6 halachic fast days (unless of course pre or post partum).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics