Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Fasting For Am Yisrael
Previous  1  2  3

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:55 pm
Is this revivalist Amnon Yitzchak who used to make the casettes that were given out on streetcorners here in EY?

If so (I haven't checked the link so I haven't seen the pictures, I'll do this afterwards) - first, you know of course that he isn't a rabbi unless he has gotten smicha in the past two years...this was publicized long ago here in EY by reliable rabbonim, both DL and charedi.

Second, women are not supposed to fast, other than the fasts for the beis hamikdosh and taanis esther and of course YK. Women are not even supposed to fast if they are in a place where a sefer torah falls! Did you know that? They are supposed to avert their eyes so that "technically" they don't see the ST fall and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are they supposed to fast. That's an across the board psak of sefaradi, ashkenazi, charedi, MO, DL etc.

Third, where does your statement come from about the fact that Amnon Yitzchak's fasts have been answered? How do you know? Does he have backing from any reliable rov on these particular fasts? I've done a quick search and have seen how he has received nothing but criticism from the major sefaradi rabbonim, those who are well respected, both of our time and the past, from R. Ovadia, through R. Batzri through R. Cadouri etc.

So...he may be your rov and you may think him a zaddik but by your taking on a fast and trying to get other women to go along with you - a fast that has no rabbinic sanction of any serious rabbonim - you are doing something which is not only wrong for you but wrong halochically and trying to get other women to go along with you in doing something wrong.

black sheep

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:58 pm
When I was single and even newly married, I would take on personal fasts for a yeshuah for different things. It was very spiritual, and the fasting together with davening and focusing on giving all my Kochot to Hashem was beautiful. So I get the fasting. But here is the thing, the whole purpose of fasting is to give all of you energy, everything you've got, to this cry for help to Hashem. And you can't do that when you have other responsibilities. It is wrong to minimize your energy for your kids, it is not spiritual, it is neglectful. Even if you think you are fine, certainly your patience and energy are diminished. Of course they are, that is the point of fasting!!! Even if you are an amazing faster, as I used to be. I used to go all day not even noticing that I haven't had a bite to eat or a sip to drink! But yet, as soon as I had a son to care for, I noticed that although I didn't feel "weak," I had less energy to give him. On the six required fast days, he got less mother out of me. It was then that I stopped adding extra fasts. There are other ways for mothers to pour out their hearts to Hashem. Our children don't have to suffer. They need every ounce that we have. Once you have kids, your energy isn't yours to sacrifice. It belongs to your children.

(And as much as I love my children, caring for them is a sacrifice all it's own, one that is even harder than fasting!!!)

(ETA: and as FS said, fasting is very different for men and for women. and especially mothers.)

Last edited by black sheep on Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:59 pm
freidasima wrote:

So...he may be your rov and you may think him a zaddik but by your taking on a fast and trying to get other women to go along with you - a fast that has no rabbinic sanction of any serious rabbonim - you are doing something which is not only wrong for you but wrong halochically and trying to get other women to go along with you in doing something wrong.

Agreed, freidasima. It's wonderful to have these intentions, and want to help klall yisroel. I was just cooking with my daughters, and instead of chit-chatting or singing, we said Tehillim for the Yidden in E"Y. However, with taking on an extra fast - even if he himself does it, did you ask a PERSONAL shaylah for yourself? That's what it means to have a rov.

RachelLA

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:12 pm
freidasima wrote:
Is this revivalist Amnon Yitzchak who used to make the casettes that were given out on streetcorners here in EY?

If so (I haven't checked the link so I haven't seen the pictures, I'll do this afterwards) - first, you know of course that he isn't a rabbi unless he has gotten smicha in the past two years...this was publicized long ago here in EY by reliable rabbonim, both DL and charedi.

Second, women are not supposed to fast, other than the fasts for the beis hamikdosh and taanis esther and of course YK. Women are not even supposed to fast if they are in a place where a sefer torah falls! Did you know that? They are supposed to avert their eyes so that "technically" they don't see the ST fall and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are they supposed to fast. That's an across the board psak of sefaradi, ashkenazi, charedi, MO, DL etc.

Third, where does your statement come from about the fact that Amnon Yitzchak's fasts have been answered? How do you know? Does he have backing from any reliable rov on these particular fasts? I've done a quick search and have seen how he has received nothing but criticism from the major sefaradi rabbonim, those who are well respected, both of our time and the past, from R. Ovadia, through R. Batzri through R. Cadouri etc.

I don't have time to go through the whole Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak vs. Rabbi Ovadia Yosef tz"l issue. The members of Shas maligned him and accused him of things he made up. Not Rabbi Ovadia Yosef.

You can be a rabbi without a title. A "degree" doesn't make you a title. Also Rabbi Elyashiv tz"l doesn't have a smicha (I don't believe). And neither does RAbbi Kanievsky. So they aren't rabbis either? And Rabbi Kaneivsky is the ultimate gdol hador ve tzaddik.

As for your comment that he isn't a rabbi, be careful with your tongue (as we say in Israel). Maligning someone this big will bring a punishment on you from shamayim. He has backing from RAbbi STeinmen and RAbbi Shapiro. If you don't know anything about them, I wouldn't speak smack about them however indirectly.

How dare you?! Don't you dare bring him down. He is the one who has over 1 million chozrei bit'shuva, something practically every Rabbi in America is trying to do. He is the one who has Koach Ba'Shamayim.

Unless you have over 1 million people that you have made religious, I'd be cautious over what accusations leave my mouth. Someone who curses a tzaddik, however indirectly, doesn't have a part in olam haba.

It's incumbent upon you to be careful and to ask forgiveness.

RachelLA

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:13 pm
debsey wrote:
Agreed, freidasima. It's wonderful to have these intentions, and want to help klall yisroel. I was just cooking with my daughters, and instead of chit-chatting or singing, we said Tehillim for the Yidden in E"Y. However, with taking on an extra fast - even if he himself does it, did you ask a PERSONAL shaylah for yourself? That's what it means to have a rov.

Perfect and thank you for the suggestion.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:22 pm
RachelLA wrote:
Okay. That's perfectly valid. I have whom to call when I have questions or little hang-ups.

I would also not take it on without being personally advised to.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics