Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why is this ok with everyone??? (Double buckling)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:36 pm
Well, in NY it is very much illegal, so we covered at least half the people here.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:42 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Well, in NY it is very much illegal, so we covered at least half the people here.

I looked at the reckless driving statute state by state. I got through the As. I think Marina figured this out long ago and was having fun.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:58 pm
I don't know anyone who was harmed as a child in a car accident, and I never heard of using boosters until 10, and plenty of people who double buckled.
My parents were very strict about buckling and on rare occasions when we had friends I'm pretty sure there was double buckling. better than no buckling.
I would still use them for my kids, and not allow double buckling, but why judge other parents.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:46 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I don't know anyone who was harmed as a child in a car accident, and I never heard of using boosters until 10, and plenty of people who double buckled.
My parents were very strict about buckling and on rare occasions when we had friends I'm pretty sure there was double buckling. better than no buckling.
I would still use them for my kids, and not allow double buckling, but why judge other parents.

You don't anyone who was harmed = it's a safe practice?

Read this and decide if the reduction in injuries and deaths is coincidental, or perhaps can be attributed to safer practices.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki....._year

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:57 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You don't anyone who was harmed = it's a safe practice?

Read this and decide if the reduction in injuries and deaths is coincidental, or perhaps can be attributed to safer practices.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki....._year

No, I'm responding to the "why is this okay with some people" question posed in this thread.

I wouldn't do it myself, and agree it's not safe - but I understand why people consider it safer than let's say not buckling kids in, especially when there are more kids than seatbelts.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:

You're lucky.

I know a girl who was thrown from a car while not wearing a seatbelt. She has a permanent limp, and scars covering the right half of her body.

A young man (who may or may not have been wearing a seat belt) who is a paraplegic.

Another young man who was not wearing a seat belt who is also a paraplegic.

I also, know a woman who lost control of her car, and it flipped twice into a ravine; BH, her son, in a booster seat, didn't have a scratch on him (she was in a seatbelt and, while injured, is BH fine).

I'm sure I could think of others.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:07 pm
Barbara wrote:
You're lucky.

I know a girl who was thrown from a car while not wearing a seatbelt. She has a permanent limp, and scars covering the right half of her body.

A young man (who may or may not have been wearing a seat belt) who is a paraplegic.

Another young man who was not wearing a seat belt who is also a paraplegic.

I also, know a woman who lost control of her car, and it flipped twice into a ravine; BH, her son, in a booster seat, didn't have a scratch on him (she was in a seatbelt and, while injured, is BH fine).

I'm sure I could think of others.

Sorry everyone, I wasn't clear. DOUBLE BUCKLING IS NOT SAFE.

I just don't think we should judge people who do it. At least they are trying, and buckling kids in.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
People put their 10 year olds in boosters?

Yes, my mother put me in a booster until I was 10. I was very skinny and short.
And that was 20 years ago, btw.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:51 pm
I know children injured in car accidents. They are all too common.

And this thread was going through my mind when I saw a mother holding her infant in one hand with driving with the other (unbuckled) because it was "only" a series of parking lots she was driving through. I was horrified, especially since there are speed bumps along the way which can definitely cause unrestrained car inhabitants to be injured.

imokay

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:11 pm
I think some ppl r relying on the word 'legal' a bit too much.
In ny, it is legal to put a kid in the front seat (within a proper restraint).
It is legal for kid over 16 to b un-belted in the back.
It is legal to ride in a taxi without carseats/boosters.

So yeah, it is 'legal'.
But is it smart? Sometimes u have to use ur common sense.
And I can envision scenarios where double buckling wud b the best option given a set of circumstances.

I wud def trust a mom at her word if she said she wudnt double buckle. Even if she does.
We all have hang-up on dif things.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:37 pm
I was once a volunteer for my 4 year old trip to the park. I was asked to fill out a form. It asked how many kids can seat in the car, how many adults ( counselor up front I guess). And how many car seats and boosters can I provide. Some parents were asked to send their boosters to camp. One kids in my car was unhappy to be back in a car seat so we had to switch him to a different car with a booster. I expected no less from a camp.

That saying, this year my DS is almost 8. Dr said to keep booster until his birthday. I do carpool and DS doesnt have a booster in the other cars. Part of the carpool also was everyone agreeing to allow their DS to double buckle if needed. I didnt mind as long as everyone is seatbelted. I have had a DD go home once in a carpool that came to pick them up full. The kids sat on the floor. I was horrified. I spoke to the women arranging the carpool and told her to communicate clearly that we need 5 seats empty, or else she cant participate anymore.

I will never do carpool with all my neighbors that allow the kids to roam while they drive, or allow kids to "help" them drive. Every time I see them I daven they should get a ticket, since that may prevent an horrific accident.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:07 am
For anyone using the ridiculous excuse that they're just going a short distance, here's a little story to help put things into perspective. When my husband was an EMT, one of the worst mva injuries he encountered was a child who went through the windshield. This literally happened in front of his own house. The parent was merely adjusting their parking from the street into the driveway when an oncoming car hit them, and sent the child through the windshield. (This accident occurred in a quiet, residential neighborhood.)

According to the National Institute of Health, "Accidents are, by far, the leading cause of death among children and adolescents." Furthermore, "The automobile accounts for the largest number of these accidental deaths. Make sure that all infants and children use the proper child car seats, booster seats, and seat belts."

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother who misunderstood about the 100 lb limit. The law in my state is up to 80 lbs as well. Guess what, I was 80 lbs in 8th grade, and no I will not make my son (who is very skinny like I was) be in a booster until 8th grade. As it is he gets bullied enough bec of his size.
And for the record, not a single one of my kids' school bus even had seat belts for the kids- not even for the little pre-schoolers. I always teach my kids to sit on the bus, but I think they're prob the only ones who do.... Now that is really dangerous.

If you lived in Ontario you would have him out of the booster when he turned 8 like everyone else.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics