Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why "Until 120"?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:10 am
I just stumbled across this on the internet, and thought it was interesting:

Normal, healthy cells divide and die as they should. This leads one to ask, “How many times”? The average number of times normal healthy cells divide is known as the Hayflick Limit. It was named after Dr. Leonard Hayflick, who in 1965 noticed that cells divide a specific number of times before the division stops. The average is between 40 and 60 times.

If you took every cell in your body at the time you were born and accounted for all the cells they would produce and so on, then multiplied that number by the average time it takes for those cells to die, you get what is known as the Ultimate Hayflick Limit. The maximum number of years you can theoretically live. That would be about 120 years!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:14 am
Interesting!!!!
So are there really people nowadays who live past 120? I have always wondered about that? If so, why do we wish people to live to 120?

miami85

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:17 am
I think because Moshe Rabbeinu lived to 120, and we don't presume most people to live longer than him, but there is a growing trend of not limiting it so some people say "l'alter chaim tovim" instead of "ad me'ah v'esrim"

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting!!!!
So are there really people nowadays who live past 120? I have always wondered about that? If so, why do we wish people to live to 120?

The greatest fully authenticated age to which any human has ever lived is 122 years 164 days by Jeanne Louise Calment (France). Born on 21 February 1875 to Nicolas (1837 - 1931) and Marguerite (neé Gilles 1838 - 1924), Jeanne died at a nursing home in Arles, southern France on 4 August 1997.

She led an extremely active life, taking up fencing at 85-years-old and still riding a bicycle at 100. Jean played herself at the age of 114 in the film Vincent and Me (Can 1990) - becoming the oldest actress to appear in a film. Her keys to long life were olive oil, port, chocolate and although she enjoyed smoking, she gave up in 1995. Her doctor put this down to her pride rather than concern for her health, as she was too blind to light up and did not want to be dependent on others. Her humour was sharp right up until her death. Her customary reply to visitors who said: “Goodbye and until next year perhaps?” would be “I don’t see why not! You don’t look so bad to me.”

I guess anything over 120 is gravy! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics