Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What age to stop swaddling?

mommy#1

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:23 pm
my infant (2 months old) doesnt like waking up to being swaddled and fights to get out of it, but she stays sleeping so much longer when shes swaddled. I swaddle her when shes ready to go to sleep then quickly start nursing so she doesnt get upset by being swaddled & try to come out. im wondering if its just time to stop the swaddling? tia

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:26 pm
I stop when the swaddling blanket is too small Smile about 4-5 months

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:39 pm
I stopped when I put him to sleep on his stomach, which was when he was able to turn over and had good head strength - about 4-5 months.

stay

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:29 pm
I also stopped swaddling around 4-5 months, when started to roll over. But even earlier, as early as 1 month, ds was able to remove his arms more easily. So I think it's normal that your kid developed enough strength to remove her hands. If you want to stop now and see how she reacts, then you can try that, or you can get a more effective swaddle (some are better than others at keeping hands in) and keep her in a swaddle until she turns from back to front.

melalyse

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:56 pm
Babies all fight swaddling. That is exactly why we swaddle, because their flailing arms and legs wake them up. That is why I find using a specialized swaddling blanket like the miracle blanket or swaddle me much better than a regular blanket.

shiffycc

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:29 pm
My two babies that I swaddled bot didn't stop until around 8 months! But that's extreme. The Dr said that the main issue is that once they can wiggle out a bit, the swaddle becomes a bit of a suffocation risk, ie. They could get tangled c"v. I'd say most kids kvetch a bit when being swaddled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics