Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rainbows

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:03 pm
I am very spooked. I saw two rainbows in the past month. I've heard that it means that Hashem would have brought a mabul based on my bad behavior but isn't because of his promise so he sent a rainbow instead. I am pretty scared by this. I don't think I've acted that badly lately. One of the times I saw one was after a rain and the sun was shining so scientifically it made sense to see a rainbow, but the one I saw yesterday was in a clear blue sky with no rain prior or afterwards. What does this all mean? Also, what's the deal with not telling someone you saw a rainbow? Of course, the second I spot one, I have a tremendous urge to share that with everyone.

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:06 pm
I never heard it was specific on one person, but on the klal. Hashem sends a rainbow when hes not happy with our actions (as in the whole klal yisroel)

You are not supposed to point it out because its not good news I think.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:17 pm
It's on the klal, not on you individually. Lucky you, got to say the bracha twice! You got an extra mitzva!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:19 pm
A rainbow is not an indicator of an individual doing wrong! It's a symbol representing Hashem's promise to never bring another mabul.

There's even a bracha to make on a rainbow. Why would you not be allowed to tell people? Sounds like another BY superstitious myth aimed to suppress the poor ehrliche girls even more...

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:05 pm
Q. (252) Mr. Danny Persoff: Is there an Issur to look at a rainbow?
A. The Shulchan Aruch (229:1) writes that it is prohibited to look at a rainbow "B'yotair" for a prolonged period of time. The Gra (ibid.) writes that there is no prohibition of R'eeyah, briefly looking, for one needs to see the rainbow in order to make the Bracha; rather, the Issur is Histaklut, staring intently. (See also Machazit Hashekel ibid.) The Iyun Yaakov writes that it is a Mitzvah to see the rainbow in order to recite the Bracha. However, the Mishna Berura (229:1) quotes the Chayai Adam who maintains that one should not tell a friend that there is a rainbow in the sky.
Regarding the reason for the Issur, the Gemara (Baizah 16a) writes that the rainbow symbolizes the glory of Hashem, therefore, it is inappropriate to look at the rainbow just as it would be wrong to look at the glory of Hashem, K'veyachol. (See Shmot 24:10-11 regarding B'nai Yisrael looking at Elokai Yisrael.) The Tosfot Harid explains the comparison between a Keshet and Hashem: Just like the colors of a rainbow are indiscernible, one can not tell where one color ends and another begins, so too with regard to Hashem, we can not truly know Him, and we must symbolize that ignorance by abstaining from staring at the rainbow. (See the M'eeri Baizah16a, where he writes that the Issur is not to stare at the rainbow, rather, to delve into the mysteries of the Pesukim that deal with the rainbow in Parshat Noach.)
http://www.mesora.org/Myers/QA-December.htm

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:10 pm
The main source, though, and I'm not sure why Rabbi Myers doesn't mention it, is because it is a reminder of Hashem's anger at the world.

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:41 pm
Thank you, all. This makes me feel a lot better. I thought that because it was I who saw them, there was something wrong specifically with me.

It was hard not to stare at it - it's so beautiful.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:44 pm
I have a really hard time with this. DD loves rainbows, and gets so excited when she sees one. Even a small one in the neighbor's lawn sprinkler is enough to get her excited. How can I take that away from her? Sad

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a really hard time with this. DD loves rainbows, and gets so excited when she sees one. Even a small one in the neighbor's lawn sprinkler is enough to get her excited. How can I take that away from her? Sad

PLEASE DONT take that away from her!

What good could possibly come of telling a child she's not allowed to enjoy this beautiful aspect of nature?

a rainbow is pretty and interesting and a reminder from Hashem that there will never be another flood. Hence, a good thing.

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Im fairly sure it only refers to a rainbow in the sky, not one on the ground. So lawn sprinkler rainbows are no problem.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:07 am
Never heard of this negative interpretation of rainbows until imamother.

They are beautiful and hashem's reminder that He will not destroy the Earth by mabul. It's a beautiful natural phenomenon. Some people will go to such lengths to destroy any pleasure in this world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics