Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sleep training

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:23 pm
So my ped recommended we start sleep training my 5 month old dc. Any recommendations for books and ideas of how to go about this? FTM here, thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:24 pm
Op here. We rock her to sleep now and she really only falls asleep with movement for naps- in the car, stroller, or swing.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:50 pm
I personally liked The Baby Whisperer as well as Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child.

I train my kids to be on a schedule from the day they come home from the hospital and sleep train them any time after 6 weeks and on when I can't take it any more and need more than 3-4 hour stretches at a time.
It's been different times for each child depending on the surrounding circumstances.
Overall, I let them cry it out while going in to reassure them (not picking them up though....)

Actually, for my first we did a whole process. Started at around 10 weeks. First few nights we gave water bottle instead of milk...then switched to holding dc with a pacifier....then just holding .....then just patting in the crib.

With my next ones, I was way to pooped to extend that much energy.

Either way, those two books were super practical and easy to read.

MMCH

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:55 pm
second vote for the baby whisperer. loved her. easy to read, easy to follow.

ive also read the happiest baby on the block by Dr. Karp, which I think is really only help for the first few weeks/month.

my first baby took sleep training like a dream. at 6months, with a paci, fed her a lot before bed, started making a whole routine and by the 3rd night she went down by herself for 12 hours.

with my 2nd, I did a mixture of everything. she was also a very sensitive baby (youll read more of that in the baby whisperer) and I nursed her for a long time. but she got it at 10 months.
good luck.
wtvr you do, just be consistent.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:07 am
Bump. My baby also rarely takes a pacifier.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:21 am
You said that you're ped said you should sleep train but do you want to?
If you are okay with rocking your baby to sleep there is nothing wrong with it.

deena19k

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:52 am
dr. pepper wrote:
I personally liked The Baby Whisperer as well as Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child.

I train my kids to be on a schedule from the day they come home from the hospital and sleep train them any time after 6 weeks and on when I can't take it any more and need more than 3-4 hour stretches at a time.
It's been different times for each child depending on the surrounding circumstances.
Overall, I let them cry it out while going in to reassure them (not picking them up though....)

Actually, for my first we did a whole process. Started at around 10 weeks. First few nights we gave water bottle instead of milk...then switched to holding dc with a pacifier....then just holding .....then just patting in the crib.

With my next ones, I was way to pooped to extend that much energy.

Either way, those two books were super practical and easy to read.

You gave your 10 week old bottles of water? Do you mean 10 MONTH old maybe?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:36 pm
cinnamon wrote:
You said that you're ped said you should sleep train but do you want to?
If you are okay with rocking your baby to sleep there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't mind so much but it can take a while and it would be nice if she could take naps on her own and go to bed. I don't like the idea idea of CIO though.

Also if I keep rocking her will she ever learn to sleep on her own?

wife2

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:16 am
She needs to learn how to fall asleep on her own for her own good. She will not be able to be rocked forever and the sooner she learns good sleep habits the better.

Make sure she eats well during the day and then you can nurse/give bottle before bed, sing songs, and then put baby in crib and pat back while she is sleepy but still awake.

Would you be okay with letting her cry for a few minutes or letting her cry if you stay in the room with her?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics