Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
The food wars - my epiphany

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:25 pm
So this is related to all the "Nine Days Menus" thread.
Every year, during the 9 days, I obsess over what to serve my kids. Their food preferences seem to be a moving target - one day's favorite is the next day's dramatic reject.
And my husband gives me a lecture how 9 days food should be SIMPLE because of avelus.
So this year, I threw in the towel.
So far, every day, I make a big salad in the morning. It sits in the fridge all day. I bought tons of mix-ins. Anyone can make whatever type of salad they like with the basic salad as the base.
I bought eggs and egg substitute.
I made pancake batter.
I took out the cheese sandwich maker and the waffle iron (I have the safety type with a lid).
I said - guys - here are your options - there's tuna in the fridge, here's the salad - here are your choices for mix ins (olives, feta cheese, tuna, sauerkraut, tehina, chick peas.... etc)
here is the cheese sandwich machine.
Here is chopped spinach
here is cheese
Here is WW bread.
Knock yourselves out.
It's been three days. They all have been eating supper nicely. No two kids ate the same thing. They all cleaned up after themselves.
The big girls altruistically made waffles for the three year old.
No food wars. No struggle. And everyone WILLINGLY incorporated some sort of protein in their meal.
Is it really that simple? Have I been slaving away over suppers that are then eagerly gobbled by some but highly disdained by others for NOTHING?????? Have I been fighting them to just EAT it already for no reason?
Please, your thoughts.......

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:29 pm
I think the food you mentioned is elaborate.

I make mac and cheese one night, eggs another, and microwave tofu burgers a third. if I'm feeling adventurous I make frozen pizza- lol.

momx6

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:43 pm
Debs-
I love love love your attitude! I'm not sure I can pull this off as most of my kids are really young.

(and BTW I really really really love reading all your posts! Its so refreshing!)

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:48 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I think the food you mentioned is elaborate.

I make mac and cheese one night, eggs another, and microwave tofu burgers a third. if I'm feeling adventurous I make frozen pizza- lol.

The "elaborate" part for me is the PREP time. Originally, I was going to buy a sushi platter, but DH felt that's too elaborate.
The point is, I spent approximately 10 minutes making supper for my eight kids and dh and assorted ppl who like to hang out at our house and eat, and everyone was happy.
As opposed to me spending time cooking three different versions of a supper so everyone's happy (this one wants her chicken skin off, that one wants his chicken with sauce, this one wants the sauce but no onions) and STILL hearing complaints.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:49 pm
debsey wrote:
The "elaborate" part for me is the PREP time. Originally, I was going to buy a sushi platter, but DH felt that's too elaborate.
The point is, I spent approximately 10 minutes making supper for my eight kids and dh and assorted ppl who like to hang out at our house and eat, and everyone was happy.
As opposed to me spending time cooking three different versions of a supper so everyone's happy (this one wants her chicken skin off, that one wants his chicken with sauce, this one wants the sauce but no onions) and STILL hearing complaints.

ah I see.

I am always yelling at my kids that I am not a short order cook and this is NOT a restaurant.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:54 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
ah I see.

I am always yelling at my kids that I am not a short order cook and this is NOT a restaurant.

Me too! But then I just want to be DONE with supper so I end up catering to these preferences. But this way, there was no yelling. Nary a power struggle in sight. Everyone ate. Everyone was happy.
One kid did defrost a veggie burger and made a "cheeseburger" kinda thing. But he's NEVER happy with whatever option is out there anyway. And a random neighbor's kid ate like 5 waffles.....

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:32 pm
so far we did one night frozen pizza, I ate parve eggplant with tomato sauce I bought. Tonight the kids had tuna sandwiches, I had an avacado wrap and husband ate my leftovers.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:10 am
I love this attitude. It would work great for me but my kids are too young to implement it like you did.
Any ideas on how to adapt it for four kids ages seven, five, 3.5 and two?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:49 am
yes, sure, I have kids who would be very happy to eat toasted cheese sandwiches or mac and cheese every night of the week.

But I think it is important to keep offering them varied food. I try and make them eat just a little of what I have made, even if they then fill themselves up on last nights leftovers or a sandwich.

Otherwise your kids will grow up to be one of those awful adults who only eat pizza and steak. (I don't mean they are awful people, they must be a nightmare to be married to)

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 7:03 am
What I do is, I say try it and if you don't like it, make yourself something else, but if we're having milichig, it can't be fleishig and vice versa. And of course, they have to clean up whatever they used to make whatever they wanted. I still get upset when they don't what the food though.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:36 am
Debsey I think ur idea was brilliant, & glad it worked so well! Smile
Btw- do u always feed the neighbors kids? U r one very nice neighbor!

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:04 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Debsey I think ur idea was brilliant, & glad it worked so well! Smile
Btw- do u always feed the neighbors kids? U r one very nice neighbor!

Thanks!
My house is very "chilled" We have so many kids around, we never notice if there are more. I happen to have a lot of neighbors who are awesome homemakers. I'm more relaxed. So it's not surprising that their kids like my house. You know, we have couches you are actually allowed to SIT on and toys you are actually allowed to PLAY with. (I have some standards - you have to clean up afterwards) But I'm not the sort who has exact portions - if you're here - and you're hungry - I'll feed you. I'll make sure it's OK with your mother first, of course. But I wouldn't have a problem if a neighbor's kid is over, and my son is making himself waffles, if the neighbor's kid made one too. Same if I'm making supper. If you're over, and I'm making hamburgers, I'll offer you one, even if you're seven, and not an adult.
debsey

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:06 pm
OK, so today it was tomato soup rather than salad and I bought fresh WW pizza dough (I know, getting a BIT more elaborate) and everyone can make whatever pizza they choose.....Let's keep this party goin'.
I DO wish I could do the same for fleishigs but I'd be worried about food poisoning.
debsey
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children