Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Laundry in the 9 days

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:06 am
I am leaving for vacation the day after tisha bav
any way to get a heter to do the laundry in the 9 days?
I have a large family b"h and loads of laundry

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:16 am
I don't think inconvenience is a good reason for a heter in this case. AYLOR though, you never know. This is why my parents aren't leaving on vacation until Thursday. Any chance you can leave a day later?

The only time we ever got a heter to do laundry during the 9 days was a few years ago when there was a huge steampipe explosion in Midtown Manhattan near DH's office. He was evacuated and came home with dirty clothes from the smoke in the air. He changed and dumped his stuff in the hamper. Later, we heard on the news that anyone who had been on the vicinity of the explosion should wash their clothing immediately because of possible contaminants in the smoke. We asked a shaila and were told to of course wash the clothing and anything else that it came in contact with (ie the contents of the hamper).

Amother because I've told this story in real life.

animeme

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:26 am
I had a kid who came home from sleep away camp in the nine days. I put the laundry aside but the next day my whole basement stunk and the Rav said to wash it. Basically, it has to be a situation where not washing it will leave it permanently damaged (smell won't come out ever) or it will mess up daily life because of gross-ness(child's accident on clothes has a stench).

Also of note- check with your Rav on laundry the night after the fast and until noon the day after. It's not so simple. You may end up packing dirty laundry and doing it there.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:43 am
OP here
I am flying to a diff't country can't change it
my kids are not coming with me
and I have no one who will wash it for me

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:47 am
AYLOR

If the answer is no, then you will need to make other arrangements. If your kids are not coming with you, then you must be leaving someone in charge. Whoever that is will have to take care of laundry for the kids. It's a burden to impose on someone, but maybe you can offer a bribe of some sort. As for your laundry, pack the dirty clothing and wash it at your destination. It's not ideal, but it's doable.

mille

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:24 am
Feel free to ask a rabbi, but you will have better leverage if you do the laundry this week rather than Sunday, because Sunday starts shavua shechal bo. Doing laundry is a rabbinic prohibition during shavua shechal bo, but just a minhag during the full 9 days. So I recommend if you are going to ask, ask now, and specifically ask about leniency because it is before shavua shechal bo.

Here is a source, so maybe I'll get less disagreeing hugs this time. Tongue Out http://www.joshyuter.com/2008/.....re-33

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
I am leaving for vacation the day after tisha bav
any way to get a heter to do the laundry in the 9 days?
I have a large family b"h and loads of laundry

My friend asked this shaila yesterday. She is going on vacation the day after tisha baov and asked if she could do laundry at night after tisha ba'ov and was told the following:

"You can wash in the morning after tisha ba'ov bishas adchak, but not at night unless there is no way to wash it at the vacation place then r' shmuel Kaminetski holds its ok"

You would obviously have to ask your own shaila, just wanted to give you an idea of the concept.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note