Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Running out of food!
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:58 pm
Yes I KNOW there are already a few 9 days menu threads... but they are depressing me because my family won't eat half the stuff on it. Nobody likes fish, allergic to nuts, and I keep trying different bean-based ideas but they never go over well (tried bean burgers, falafel, rice-n-beans... kids won't eat them and DH just tolerates it and asks me not to do it again Sad ) The kids are a little picky. One is 3 and one almost 2.
We already had pizza, and about as much pasta, eggs, and sandwiches as we can handle. This includes 2 meals a day (assuming cereal for breakfast, no-brainer). Once I made a soup. It's too hot to bother with that again, and anyway the kids barely ate it. Once I did quinoa salad, again the kids did not eat it and anyway it used up the last of my quinoa. MAYBE I'll go shopping tomorrow, undecided, depends how desperate I am.

Help! I can't believe it's only Wednesday. I think I'm going to make falafel tonight and who cares if nobody likes it Twisted Evil It's something healthy I can do with the ingredients I have in the house.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:04 pm
what about pancakes, waffles or french toast?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:05 pm
lentils ole with rice?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:05 pm
Grill cheese? Lasagna?

mom2be1

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:09 pm
Cheese latkes? Cheese blitzes? Potato knishes?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:09 pm
I was going to make the same suggestion as Busydev - breakfast for dinner. YUM!

Also, what about loaded baked potatoes, or paninis?

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:10 pm
Nobody likes milchig lasagna. We have limited interest in pasta and cheese...
Will likely do french toast or pancakes, maybe tomorrow if I actually do falafel tonight.
Lentils with rice sounds similar to beans with rice, probably won't win.
Around here grilled cheese = pizza. Can maybe do that again though.

Thanks...

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:13 pm
we did pizza (freezer) for kids and homemade falafel for adults one night

one night was grilled cheese, cut up veggies, packaged noodle soup and frozen cheese blintzes

tonight is macaroni cheese/sauce, fish sticks for kids, breaded tilapia for adults, corn

tomorrow - omelets (with cheese, veggies, plain) on whole wheat bread, ice cream for dessert

I don't have a problem with no meat .. maybe we'll go to the bagel store on sunday or baked ziti, tomato soup ....

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:16 pm
I am going to fry up a big tuna patty and present it as a tuna soufflé.

Salmon would work too.

Beaten egg, chopped onion, chopped celery, cilantro, garlic powder, flour and maybe some oatmeal, that kind of thing. I may galette it, you know, flip it once.

rj123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:17 pm
What about soy fake-meat products? You can get strips, which could be used to make a stir-fry, or crumbles which can be used like chopped meat and are great as tacos or sloppy joes.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:20 pm
Do you have some brand of fake meat that you will eat? Maybe make taco bar or tortilla bar. You can set out baked beans, cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, chilli peppers if you really want to be Tex-Mex, salsa, and make a stir fry of the fake meat.

Baked potatoes are also a good idea, with cheese, sour cream, margarine, and you can add a cooked veggie to make it more healthy such as broccoli, spinach, or green beans.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:20 pm
Quiche?

Do you have a sandwich maker? Its the same as sandwiches and pizza, but maybe dress it up with vegetables - like grilled veggie sandwiches or breaded eggplant.

Grilled eggplant pizza.

Eggplant Parm. I bake and it is easy if you want the recipe.

Homemade sushi - without the fish - let everyone assemble their own (you will need some other source of protein)

ddsw

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:00 pm
I think last yr I made rice balls with cheese inside. My kids loved finding the cheese. It was a little but of a potchka and I googled the recipe. Cheese latkes were a hit too. Good luck

skymile

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:10 pm
try Risotto

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:16 pm
Tofu & broccoli soup? The tofu gets a different taste when in soup...

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:19 pm
My kids love rice with can tomatoes and then grilled with cheese on top.
Simple, yummy and easy.

Serve with some sliced veggies for the healthy addition.

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:23 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
My kids love rice with can tomatoes and then grilled with cheese on top.
Simple, yummy and easy.

Serve with some sliced veggies for the healthy addition.

Similar to this - and it doesn't taste like pizza exactly but kids like the novelty is this:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/r.....izza/
You sort of turn the cooked rice into a pizza crust. I can "sell" it once in a while.
debs

boysrus

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:26 pm
you have been given lots of good ideas here! or yo could just do what I do, cook something that you know htey probably will not want tto taste, and bribe them to eat it. eg, tomorrow I am making grilled tilapia, cheap, easy, fast. Those who eat it will get ice cream. believe me, they will all eat at least half of their piece of fish!

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:29 pm
Salad with: Avacado, Tuna, Eggs, or Cheese
Potatoes or Peppers with Cheese inside
Eggplant
Tofu
Veggie Burgers
Omlettes

Sides are easier to come up with.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:30 pm
Dont stress it.
What do your kids like? Peanut butter and jelly? Give them as sandwitches once a day. Do they eat omlettes? The other meal is an omlette.
Day after day.
Why do you feel you have to make anything different? It has to be eaten and preferably nutritious. Don't get hung up that you have to make different meals every day. Just give the same thing day after day and if they don't want it then give bread and butter and that's fine too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals