Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can you BUY a beach? DON'T MAKE FUN OF ME!
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:01 pm
I know this is wacky and off the wall - but is it possible to buy a section of beach? I have so many friends here in Lakewood who would LOVE to swim on the beach, but they are all mixed. We were all talking about our early days of marriage in Israel and being able to go to the separate beach with our kids. I just went jogging on the beach super early and we collected shells, and I was just LONGING to swim......Is there any such thing as buying or leasing a stretch of beach and then putting up mechitzos? Or am I just having a pipe dream here.......

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:11 pm
If you have the money, anything is for sale Wink . You would have to ask your local congressman, but IMO, highly unlikely.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:13 pm
I was thinking the same thing myself!

People have beachfront properties, so I thought with enough money someone can buy a strip of properties and make a separate hours club. This would be a good idea as a community project, especially if you want to encourage tznius options for beach lovers.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

MamaBear

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:13 pm
Probably easier to find a beach house, literally on the beachn somewhere driving distance.

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:16 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing myself!

People have beachfront properties, so I thought with enough money someone can buy a strip of properties and make a separate hours club. This would be a good idea as a community project, especially if you want to encourage tznius options for beach lovers.

I took an indoor surf class and would love to try the real thing. But I need a separate beach! And all of us early morning joggers were thinking the same...........
HMMMM..... I wonder how to go about researching beachfront properties for rent.
debsey

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:20 pm
I think you should be able to do this. What is the rule if you own property that is on the water - is anyone allowed to come onto your property or would that be trespassing? If you are allowed to restrict entry on to your property, then you can buy 2 or 3 consecutive properties and make a beach there. I have seen houses "on the beach" in Deal, NJ, and I have seen many houses "on the bay" in Long Island. Admittedly, the houses might be expensive and require lots of flood insurance.

Second thing to check is - if you are operating a beach as a business, are you (a) required to have a lifeguard, (b) required to get special zoning approval, (c) allowed to restrict entry to one gender. Otherwise you would just be able to invite a few friends at a time to enjoy your beach.

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:22 pm
self-actualization wrote:
I think you should be able to do this. What is the rule if you own property that is on the water - is anyone allowed to come onto your property or would that be trespassing? If you are allowed to restrict entry on to your property, then you can buy 2 or 3 consecutive properties and make a beach there. I have seen houses "on the beach" in Deal, NJ, and I have seen many houses "on the bay" in Long Island. Admittedly, the houses might be expensive and require lots of flood insurance.

Second thing to check is - if you are operating a beach as a business, are you (a) required to have a lifeguard, (b) required to get special zoning approval, (c) allowed to restrict entry to one gender. Otherwise you would just be able to invite a few friends at a time to enjoy your beach.

I know on Long Island there are beach clubs and only members can go to that part of the beach. So I guess it's technically possible to sell memberships and then say - women's hours/men's hours. You would have to allow ANY woman and ANY man to buy a membership of course! But to make it at least break even you'd want to do that anyway.......

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:31 pm
Some beach homes own rights until the tide line, as well as some vacation locations (such as la paz, Acapulco, etc.) You may also obtain a permit to put up private signs on a beach. I do not know what the cost of these permits is, but they may be temporary, leased for a period of time, or purchased like a home.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:33 pm
debsey wrote:
I took an indoor surf class and would love to try the real thing. But I need a separate beach! And all of us early morning joggers were thinking the same...........
HMMMM..... I wonder how to go about researching beachfront properties for rent.
debsey

Many beach front properties own the land ONLY until the tide line. That means that you do not own rights to the water and anyone can swim there. Of course if you have 100 acres of beach until the tide line it is pretty unlikely that you will see anyone in "your water."

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:04 pm
You can buy a house and the beach that comes with it on the Jersey Shore. Then you can open a restaurant in the house and have separate men's and women's hours for the restaurant, too! What

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:08 pm
My friend owns a house with a private beach, though I'm not sure how far it extends (I don't think anyone can own the water, so anyone can swim right there). It's currently on the market for something like 8m in case you're seriously looking Wink

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:09 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
My friend owns a house with a private beach, though I'm not sure how far it extends (I don't think anyone can own the water, so anyone can swim right there). It's currently on the market for something like 8m in case you're seriously looking Wink

*Slightly* out of my price range....would she consider subletting to ppl for a while, though?????

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:12 pm
debsey wrote:
*Slightly* out of my price range....would she consider subletting to ppl for a while, though?????

How much is your budget for a lease? Wink

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:27 pm
MBV - I don't know....it's just a pipe dream.......

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:28 pm
I think it is a great idea! if it were near me I would def love to go to it.

kb

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:17 pm
There are private island you can rent. It was featured on msn a while ago (I think) all things considered, they were relatively reasonable.

Example:http://rent.privateislandsonline.com/islands/brandy-hill-island

Disclaimer: I said relatively...

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:27 pm
There is a private island for sale that I am involved in.... Probably also out of your price range... It's more for an Arab sheik or the like..

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:42 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is a private island for sale that I am involved in.... Probably also out of your price range... It's more for an Arab sheik or the like..

Yeah, I don't think they live on a kollel budget, LOL.......
Though I'm wondering if it's a valid business idea for someone.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:43 pm
debsey wrote:
Yeah, I don't think they live on a kollel budget, LOL.......
Though I'm wondering if it's a valid business idea for someone.

There is currently an operational hotel there (we'll more like 5 villas), but in the "kosher" world isn't not such a valid business, however definitely is in a broader sense...

sky

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 7:24 pm
I was curious so I googled waterfront properties in Longbranch, NJ and Ocean County, nj

For 1-3 million you can get a waterfront home packed on the beach right next to other homes.
For 15 million there is one home - but the beach doesn't look swimmable or private.

This one for 9 million in Long Beach looks promising: http://www.realtor.com/realest.....e=web

This one is a steal at 6 million: http://www.realtor.com/realest.....e=web
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics