Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Does a three+ year old need a stroller?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 6:22 am
I have a two year old son and I need to buy a new stroller.
I'm using a super cheap umbrella now temporarily so I don't want to buy a more expensive fully loaded umbrella, but a real, good stroller.
I'm TTC but not pregnant yet, so by the time I have my next child my son will be at least three. He is currently totally impossible to do errands with- I tried going out without a stroller recently and it was beyond a nightmare, with him laying face first on the sidewalk in middle of geula screaming- but I know things can change drastically as he grows so quickly.
My question is- should I invest in a convertible stroller because he's going to still be impossible and unable to walk a lot at age 3, or should I get a singe and just buy him a buggy board when we have our next child?
I would either get a single or a convertible- I can't stand double strollers- they are so big I may as well buy a rickshaw Smile
TIA!!

little_mage

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 6:38 am
At three, my son is still primarily using the stroller. I just put my infant in a carrier so that I can push him because we didn't want a double either. I'd get a convertible for the flexibility.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 6:41 am
It really depends on your child. None of my kids have still used a stroller at 3.

morah

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 7:18 am
Was this your first time taking him places without the stroller? You can't judge based on one bad experience, especially if it was the first time. Try it for a week or 2. Yes, it will be hard and take 3 times as long, but after a few times he will get the hang of it. You have to go through that period to get to that point though. So many people who probably could give up the stroller think they can't because they did it once and it was a disaster. You have to have a little patience and go through that disaster a few times to get over the hump. The buggy board is good to have though- my kids are 2.5 years apart and we only use the buggy board, no double. And he doesn't even ask for the board all that often.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:06 am
Thanks for your replies. He is usually pretty uncooperative, and I run around a lot because I live in Israel so I need my errands to go smoothly. He gets tired and asks to sit in his stroller. Maybe I should just not buy a stroller now and wait until I am expecting or close to giving birth to my next one so I can see where he's holding in terms of stamina, tantrums, etc. It's just hard to get strollers here so I want to leave plenty of time to try and get it sent. I don't remember my mother ever using a double stroller- we had a cheap umbrella for the bigger kid and a real stroller for the younger baby and there had to be two adults on every trip. But my mother lives in America and doesn't do errands by bus and foot.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:16 am
you sound like you want to buy a new stroller. I think you should ...he's not 3, he's 2 - so why not? Obviously you wont get an expensive model but something durable and easy to push. I can think of a few .... you can't plan for when you'll have your next baby now. Just deal with this child and the stroller that would be best for him. Iy"H you'll have a new baby soon. It will all work out .... but don't get a stroller for this child based on what might be good for a new baby who is not even conceived yet. I would probably buy a stroller for my 2 yr old if I only had an umbrella stroller.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:31 am
It depends on the child but it seems that yours does not like walking all that much. I wouldn't suggest relying on the fact that he'll change. My 21 month old loves walking, in Israel. I take my stroller everywhere and she never sits in it. She prefers to walk. Even if uphill. Even a 20 minute walk. Work with your kids personality.

bnm

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:44 am
I got a twin carriage when my big one was 2.5 I live in Boro Park and walk everywhere most days. She ended up using it till 4.5, she would get out and walk a lot but still needed the seat especially on the way home at the end of the day or if she wasn't feeling well. Now my youngest is 3 and I take the carriage along most places. If I don't I end up regretting it.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:52 am
It's good to have, but if you prefer a single you can always have the option of wearing baby in a carrier while 3-year-old rides stroller. This will be easy for about half a year and doable in a pinch for another year or so thereafter. You can get a buggy board too, will MOST of the time be adequate solution for tired 3 y/o.

suzyq

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:02 am
Things can change a lot in a year. My son was 19 months old when I had my baby and he NEEDED a stroller then. I couldn't trust him for a second outside his stroller. Now, a year later, he often walks and I don't always take our double stroller - someone gave us a very nice umbrella stroller so I take the baby in that and my older son walks. For a double, I have the Britax B-Ready, which is nice since it can be used as a single or double (though it's heavy for a single, I wouldn't have bought it for that). I think it's always good to have yourself covered - you might want something that at least can be used as a double for long trips or times when you have to take both kids somewhere and it's naptime or late at night.

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:41 am
I also love my Britax B-ready. It's great now that my kids are 3.5 and 2 that I have the option of using it as a double even though my 3.5year old can walk most places, but we went out late Friday night last week to a shalom zachor and we were able to put him in the stroller after he fell asleep. My kids are even used to the top-bottom situation and rarely fight over it. Now we're trying to phase my older son out of the stroller to prepare for a new-comer in the not-too-distant future, but it's great having the option of using it as a single or double. If you need a new stroller anyway and can afford it, I think it's a great option.

If you're looking for a more-than-just-an-umbrella stroller that's not too expensive, I've been interested in the Safety first Jet City Chic model. It has good ratings, not as expensive as a Maclaren and also reclines and has a small basket underneath and a parent console--for less than $50.

I would get it myself but we also were given an umbrella stroller and have the B-ready so no need for it, but it has caught my eye.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:09 am
bnm wrote:
I got a twin carriage when my big one was 2.5 I live in Boro Park and walk everywhere most days. She ended up using it till 4.5, she would get out and walk a lot but still needed the seat especially on the way home at the end of the day or if she wasn't feeling well. Now my youngest is 3 and I take the carriage along most places. If I don't I end up regretting it.

Same experience. We do a lot of walking, and I definitely need a back up seat until close to age five (for my kiddies). If I don't take a stroller on walks longer than 5-10 minutes each way, I will inevitably have someone complaining.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:54 am
ok thanks everyone Smile I'm now convinced I need a convertible.
I think I'll wait a few months but prob will get a city select or similar convertible. I was just thinking about splurging on the bugaboo bee (which is really the same as the city select with two seats) but I think the city select will be more practical in the long run...

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:57 am
The bee and the select are two totally different strollers.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:32 pm
It really depends on where you live and what your needs are. I find that most city kids have a stroller until a later age than suburban kids do. Because we walk a lot more on a daily basis. Yes, my kids at age 3 and a half were walking to local errands, I often walked much farther (like a few miles) with friends, etc. walking along the river, to particular parks, to Trader Joe's etc. that is just not possible for a 3 or 4 year old to walk if you want to get anywhere within a decent time-frame.

I bought a city mini when my baby (at the time) was 2 because I did need him to also nap in it if we were out...and eventually I did start working and he napped in the stroller when he was with a baybsitter. I also bought the buggy board for his older brother at the time. But we didn't use it much--as his brother prefered to ride a scooter or walk.

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:36 pm
I had to walk across town everyday last year. so my 4 year old was still in a stroller. he wouldn't have made it there and back every day otherwise. now when we go on trips he stands on the back where the wheels are. he is a small 5 year old.

I wore my baby and my older son was in the single. when they were older then I started using the double more.

MMCH

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:37 pm
I would get the stroller if I were you, bc your child right now is 2, and is technically a baby. like you said, get something that can be good for a baby also, or that can have a carseat latch (like citi mini, britax)

my 3.5 year old sometimes sits and sometimes walks. we walk everywhere, and if I went at her pace just to get the groceries done with both kids, id still be doing them right now.

loveit

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 4:38 pm
My 5.5 yr old still rides in the double....I think it's always a good idea to have an option for the older child to sit or stand and ride

amother

Post Sat, Aug 02 2014, 4:01 pm
it depends on the child, but running errands with a two year old can be risky without a stroller ... my 2 year old walks nicely, but when he is tired he asks to sit in a stroller. aslo I like using the basket below the seat for shopping, it is very convenient. on the handle I also hang some bags. so when dc falls asleep during a long walk and I have the stroller packed with stuff I bless my stroller. Smile

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:42 am
so has he grown up?????? new challenges and new struggles always arrise!!!!!!!1 ha ha laughing about that now??? Laugh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics