Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Boston Chicago Detroit S.Louis Cleveland modern yeshivish
1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:13 am
My husband asks me to ask you lol
In light of: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....49330

does any of these cities fit for
school: modern yeshivish with at least fine chol, gan to 12th grade both genders, cannot pay more than like 500 dollars by child by month, so either grants or less expensive. This is very important if it's like 800+ forget it.

real estate: say a house or big apartment 1000 sq ft to buy under 300 000$ or rent under 1500$/months.

No worries from my friends in other cities and countries, this is ony a new search, we still search the other cities and countries Wink Heart

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:20 am
Ruchel wrote:
My husband asks me to ask you lol
In light of: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....49330

does any of these cities fit for
school: modern yeshivish with at least fine chol, gan to 12th grade both genders, cannot pay more than like 500 dollars by child by month, so either grants or less expensive. This is very important if it's like 800+ forget it.

real estate: say a house or big apartment 1000 sq ft to buy under 300 000$ or rent under 1500$/months.

No worries from my friends in other cities and countries, this is ony a new search, we still search the other cities and countries Wink Heart

About detroit. I don't think you'd be happy with the Mizrachi school. Beth Yehuda is middle fo the road. Over the years it's become more RW, lots of yeshivish parents, but room to breathe. Chol for the boys is being worked on. The girls get a good enough education that some get full scholarships to a local state uni. I can't tell you about tuition. They've been good to us as far as tuition assistance.

Real estate. Yeah, rentals are there. Houses are way under 300K but there are lots of people interested in buying.

What do you have in mind for parnasa?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:23 am
Thumbs Up

Parnassa wise, it's about the same for my husband in any good size city... so first we choose which ones to look into, and then he'll see if it works parnassa wise.

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:22 am
Real estate-wise, Boston is out of your price range, and I believe Chicago is as well. Cleveland is your best bet for an established Jewish community with low cost of living. St. Louis is very out of town, much smaller, you'd have to check on tuition costs there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:32 am
I imagined Boston is.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:37 am
Just FYI a 1000 sq ft apt in the states is going to be one or two bedrooms. If you have a specific number of bedrooms in mind you should go with that over sq ft.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:57 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Just FYI a 1000 sq ft apt in the states is going to be one or two bedrooms. If you have a specific number of bedrooms in mind you should go with that over sq ft.

Did I translate wrongly? I found 1000 sq f is about 93 m2. You can easily put 4 bedrooms in it.
So I don't even know what to do now, do you think it's impossible everywhere in a nicely sized community? Because I doubt we can afford a 120 square meters or something.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:05 am
Boston is known to be very expensive. And I'm pretty sure the Yeshivish community is very Yeshivish.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:14 am
Ruchel wrote:
I found 1000 sq f is about 93 m2. .

That's accurate. Wish you could come to Monsey!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:28 am
Cleveland and detroit have cheap housing think 120k for a small house.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:01 am
Ruchel wrote:
Did I translate wrongly? I found 1000 sq f is about 93 m2. You can easily put 4 bedrooms in it.
So I don't even know what to do now, do you think it's impossible everywhere in a nicely sized community? Because I doubt we can afford a 120 square meters or something.

Correct, but that's not how american homes are built. Cleveland and Detroit are probably affordable for you. If you're counting on a work visa, you should look into that first. They're extremely hard to come by.

lady53

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:08 am
Boston is very expensive!
Chicago has a range, if you're flexible with various communities and maybe living a bit further from the center of the community.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:18 am
Chicago also has options if you are not glued to the idea of owning a house. There are a lot of condos and townhouses that are quite spacious and less expensive.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:20 am
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago also has options if you are not glued to the idea of owning a house. There are a lot of condos and townhouses that are quite spacious and less expensive.
When we left Skokie in 2000, our rented apartment was $1150/month. Can you still get something in that range? But that doesn't take care of $$$$$$$ for school, does it?

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:57 am
You can't compare Skokie to West Rogers or Peterson Park. One is the suburbs and the other the city. Rents will be different.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:14 pm
Apartment is totally fine! we are used to apartment living (good buildings, not places where you hear your neighbour's tv). But we need at least 3 bedrooms.

My husband says in Baltimore we could manage in the Jewish area, real estate wise, I suppose this gives an idea.

If the city has an eruv, though, we want to be in Smile

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:17 pm
Ruchel, I hope you won't have to leave France since it sounds like you'd rather stay there, but if you move to America all I can say is, "there will be one huge Welcome Ruchel party!" I think I may even have to travel for that one!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:22 pm
Cheers Yes Bounce Rolling Laughter

melbee

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:30 pm
A 3-bedroom in Chicago is typically between $1100-1300. I know of some more, and some for less, but I think that's the average range. A house would be out of your price range, but you could find a town house for that amount and they can be very spacious and have nice yards if you get the right one.

There are six schools I can think of to choose from, ranging from Chassidish and Yeshivish to Modern, so I would not be worried about finding a school. Most schools seem willing to work with you regarding financial aid/scholarships, but there are hoops to jump through.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:40 pm
I live in Chicago, in a condo building with many young frum families. My 3 bedroom 1900 sq ft was a little under 200,000 and it's beautiful and completely refinished. The cost of living here is not cheap, compared to some other cities but it may be doable for you.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating