Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Boston Chicago Detroit S.Louis Cleveland modern yeshivish
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:57 am
Thanks! so this one would be the best choice for a modern yeshivish family? or not? Heart

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:00 am
Ruchel wrote:
Thanks! so this one would be the best choice for a modern yeshivish family? or not? Heart

If you're talking about Cleveland, I think that Hebrew Academy is a better fit. Mosdos is quite right-wing yeshivish. Hebrew Academy is more middle of the road. Has a yeshivish administration, lots of yeshivish kids, but also some middle of the road and not so yeshivish kids. It goes from preschool through kollel for boys and preschool through seminary for girls and is the oldest school in Cleveland.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:11 am
Ruchel wrote:

You mean Mosdos? There are a few day schools in Cleveland. Mosdos has a boys' elementary, girls' elementary, and girls' high school. It is the most right-wing yeshivish of the schools. Then there is the Hebrew Academy, which is a little more mixed. The administration and staff are all yeshivish, it is one of the oldest day schools in the U.S., founded by survivors of Telshe Yeshiva after the war, and it has an excellent reputation. It was founded as a community school so historically the student body has always been more mixed, but as there is a more left wing, mizrachi option (Fuchs Mizrachi School), the mixing isn't that far all over the spectrum, but you will find more families with TV's, etc., at Hebrew Academy. Hebrew Academy also has a girls' high school, which I forgot to mention before-- Yavne High School. It also has a boys' high school-- the Mesivta-- but a lot of families still send their boys away to other yeshivas for high school.

If you're looking for modern yeshivish the Hebrew Academy might be a better fit...

Odelyah

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:15 am
Just saw bubby's post after I posted-- great minds think alike I guess Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:42 pm
Cleveland is also helpful in terms of tuition vouchers for low income families if your husband is just starting out and you're not yet up to par parnassa wise yet. (I think the school gets 4250? per child K and up and cannot charge more if you don't make enough)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 1:06 pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks a ton.
DH asks how tzioni Hebrew Academy is? (I think the name frightens him lol). Also the high school there (Mesivta), how yeshivish? are there some who wear white shirt only for ex? I KNOW how superficial it sounds, but it often helps situating a school hashkafa wise, which is very not easy when from another continent.
is this the mesivta? http://www.hac1.org/yeshiva-hi.....mpus/

Last edited by Ruchel on Mon, Sep 08 2014, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 1:11 pm
(I have to comment on the Yavne/BY/community school mix, sooooo odd to us LOL )

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 2:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks a ton.
DH asks how tzioni Hebrew Academy is? (I think the name frightens him lol). Also the high school there (Mesivta), how yeshivish? are there some who wear white shirt only for ex? I KNOW how superficial it sounds, but it often helps situating a school hashkafa wise, which is very not easy when from another continent.
is this the mesivta? http://www.hac1.org/yeshiva-hi.....mpus/

Hebrew Academy is not a tzioni school. In terms of the girls, it is comparable to any mid-stream Bais Yaakov. There is another school to the left of it that is the Tzioni school in town (maybe called Fuchs or something like that, but I'm not sure). The majority of the school and certainly the hanahala are of yeshivish persuasion,, but not ALL of the students.

I don't think that most of the boys who graduate from Hebrew Academy go to the Mesivta. I suppose some do, but of those that want to stay in town, I'd think that more go to the Mechina program of Telshe Yeshiva and others go out of town. I think (but I'm sure someone knows more than me) that the Mechina is probably not so yeshivish, but neither is it NOT yeshivish. Telshe on the other hand is hard line yeshivish.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 4:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
(I have to comment on the Yavne/BY/community school mix, sooooo odd to us LOL )

Welcome to the American "midwest". (Midwest in quotes because if you look on a map. the middle of the western part of the continental US is more like Denver. But for some reason, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and parts in between and around are all considered midwest.)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 4:39 pm
We would just have to get used that a Yavne can be very frum! The Yavne here, is so far from our wishlist Very Happy but names sometimes are just names.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 4:40 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Welcome to the American "midwest". (Midwest in quotes because if you look on a map. the middle of the western part of the continental US is more like Denver. But for some reason, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and parts in between and around are all considered midwest.)

Even more than that -- the Midwest Regional Agudah Convention even goes as far as people from Atlanta and Dallas.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 4:41 pm
Ruchel wrote:
We would just have to get used that a Yavne can be very frum! The Yavne here, is so far from our wishlist Very Happy but names sometimes are just names.

Yavne in Cleveland received its name from its predecessor school -- Yavne in Telz, Lithuania.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:51 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Even more than that -- the Midwest Regional Agudah Convention even goes as far as people from Atlanta and Dallas.

Which just proves the point to Rochel. American midwest = cholent. In that best sense Wink

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:09 pm
The Hebrew Academy is not tzioni. Fuchs Mizrachi is.

For boys, after 8th grade, the yeshivishe boys generally go either to Telshe or out of town. The Hebrew Academy mesivta is run by yeshivishe people but does not have yeshivishe bochurim for the most part.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:11 pm
I was telling my husband about this thread, and he suggested Milwaukee. They have tuition vouchers.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:36 pm
Maybe look into Atlanta. Housing isn't super cheap but might be within your range. Nice OOT community. Pm me for more info.

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:46 pm
Hebrew Academy in Cleveland has the gamut. Black hat yeshivish to kippah srugah. White shirts all the time, colored shirts, you name it. It really is a community school. The teachers and administration are more yeshivish. But it is not tzioni.st

For the Hebrew Academy boys high school, it is growing and changing. By the time your kids get to that stage, you will see if it is right for your.

The Hebrew Academy will work with you on tuition to make it doable.

Fuchs Mizrachi is the Zionistic school. It is also very good. I think there are some Clevelanders on here who send there who could tell you more about it. But it is definitely MO, not yeshivish.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 9:32 am
There's actually an MO school called Fuchs Mizrachi? I've got to link this to another thread when I find it Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 12:35 pm
LOL mizrachi!

I was told in Atlanta there was no school for us (or the weather was the issue). Not sure about Milwaukee?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 1:21 pm
How do the vouchers work at these schools? Is there info online about what income level is need to qualify? What's the average per kid you still pay if you do qualify?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating