Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
What are you making before the fast?
1  2  Next

mama says

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:43 am
I usually do something with fresh veggies. Because of dental work, we need softer food. Can't have quiche or dairy kugels. They aren't appreciated by my guys. thanks!

shuls_613

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:45 am
I like having a filling soup- a lot of vegetables with barley or rice.

We are having that. I wanted to add something else to eat on the side as well though but not sure what yet.

losingweight

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:52 am
Dinner will be soup, avocado egg salad, tuna salad with fresh rolls, veggie salad, blintzes and fruit. Right before fast bread with egg and ash. Grapes thrown in somewhere.

ettilou

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 12:48 pm
Vegetable soup with barley, French bread and challah for dips, salmon, pasta dish for the kids, quinoa with sauteed veggies for the fasters, green salad, Israeli salad. Grapes and other fruit. Brownies for the kids. Lots of water tomorrow. Break fast is kind of a free for all though as I'm such a terrible faster I rely on my older kids to make anything they want. DH is happy with soup and a tuna sandwich.

mama says

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 1:06 pm
Thanks for all your help! I'm getting past my mental block now.

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 1:13 pm
I have been on a strict diet for months. Even before 17 b'Tamuz I stayed on it. But there is no way I can adequately prepare for the fast if I have no carbs. So, I'm making the stuff I've been missing: Macaroni and cheese casserole and bread and cheese souffle. The kids love it and I will enjoy it. After the fast bagels and soup. I would say leftovers from before the fast, but there won't be.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 3:35 pm
vegetable soup with beans and root veggies
quinoa with sauteed mushrooms and cheese
baked potatoes with sour cream
watermelon and grapes

After the fast is homemade bagels, cream cheese, lox and veggies, scrambled eggs, chocolate milk. And hopefully leftover soup.

freidasima

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 3:37 pm
Wow all we are having is macaroni and omlettes and maybe some toast and lots of drink and later egg and ashes. After the fast breakfast, for me a banana and soy milk and for dh a roll and chumus and a cup of tea...its too late at night to eat anything else, we will have a great breakfast wednesday morning!

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 3:46 pm
well when you have the husband who won't eat the soup and the kids who won't touch the quinoa then you can understand the need for variety Wink

Blue jay

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 4:37 pm
Whiting Fillets breaded with butter and bread crumbs.... brown Rice, broccoli and tarter sauce. Lots of water to wash it down!

MommyG

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 6:56 pm
Making meal #1

Early Lunch11:30am- 12:30pm cheese omlettes with veges and soup

5pm Dinner: Soup from earlier- split pea, or vege soup- Tilapia with squash, onions with spices not spicy just nice and then quinoa rice combo. which has a bit of Osem soup mix and fried onions in it.

Watermelon and berries.

We will eat more watermelon at the seudas Mafsekes with the egg and ashes as well. That will be about 7pm

sky

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:24 pm
Salmon, brown rice, and sweet potatoes.
I always serve brown rice before a hard fast.

I find it interesting how everyone has their pre-fast power food.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:35 pm
MommyG wrote:
Making meal #1

Early Lunch11:30am- 12:30pm cheese omlettes with veges and soup

5pm Dinner: Soup from earlier- split pea, or vege soup- Tilapia with squash, onions with spices not spicy just nice and then quinoa rice combo. which has a bit of Osem soup mix and fried onions in it.

Watermelon and berries.

We will eat more watermelon at the seudas Mafsekes with the egg and ashes as well. That will be about 7pm

I could be wrong, but I think I remember learning that by the seuda hamafsefes you are only allowed to eat bread, egg and water.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:40 pm
Salmon, green salad, fresh wholemeal rolls, made this evening, with seeds (new type of organic multigrain flour on offer!).

Watermelon, pineapple.

Then obviously egg with ashes.

Probably same for breaking the fast, leaving out the ashy egg, adding in a coffee or two Wink

Last year I was working until an hour before the fast, but got caught up with a sick patient and got delayed an hour or so, didn't eat from 7am as I was at work from 7:30 and was too busy, and called dh half an hour before the fast (I left him a meal in the fridge), asked him to drive up to the hospital, bring me an egg and ashes and some matza, as we were out of bread, and I stood in the ambulance bay eating as quickly as possible in the 5 minutes I had before the fast started. BH not the case tomorrow, so anything seems great.

a1mom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:52 pm
salmon, quinoa with zucchini, green salad, noodle cheese kugel, grapes and watermelon.

after will be scrambled eggs, leftovers from first meal and toast/bagels.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:57 pm
Breaded tilapia, baked ziti, grilled summer vegetable pasta, blintz loaf, leafy salad, fresh bread, honeydew, water, powerade (lots of variety because everyone eats something else).
And of course eggs and ashes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Aug 04 2014, 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

cookiesncream

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:05 pm
I was planning to make salmon and then some of my neighbors mentioned fish is no good beofre a fast. Anyone heard about that?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:19 pm
cookiesncream wrote:
I was planning to make salmon and then some of my neighbors mentioned fish is no good beofre a fast. Anyone heard about that?
fish is fine. Just stay away from salty smoked / brined fish.

Torah

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:26 pm
I'm still figuring it out, but so far am making salmon loaf, butternut squash soup, quinoa, and salad. Hard boiled eggs and challah.

chanee

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:36 pm
We had enough of the fish for the past week so I'm planning on whole wheat pizza bread what everyone in our house loves and fresh vegetable salad. for lunch will be lots of tuna, egg and avecodo. And lots of fruits and drinks. Watermelon somewhere between meals. Plain bread and sliced egg with ashes right before as the suadas hamofsekes.
Maybe I'll do a beans and vegetable soup for after the fast and serve it for lunch before fasting too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals