Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Flying & sheitels?
1  2  Next

SomeoneNew

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:07 pm
I haven't been on an airplane since starting to wear a sheitel. Is there anything I need to know? Are the metal combs going to set off the detectors?

Also, I have one of those styrofoam heads but nothing smaller - are there better options to pack in the suitcase for the other end?

I feel like these are dumb questions but this is all new to me!

Thanks in advance. Smile

queenert

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:12 pm
The one time I flew with a sheitel, my combs didn't set anything off, but my bobby pins did.
I just told them it was a wig and they let me through.

You can use a soda bottle as a makeshift head once you arrive.

Nisiah Tova!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:13 pm
They sell travel head that either blow up or are two pieces that are flat. But then you can't use teapins and curlers and such

rachel91

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:14 pm
There has been no problem by me ever and I flew a lot, but I am not in the US, and the rules might be different.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:24 pm
The actual shaitel is not a problem (in terms of the combs, etc). If you pack an additional shaitel in your carry on, you will most likely have to have your entire carry on bag opened and examined. They will also ask you why you have the wig. A wig is one of the worst "everyday, decent, legal" items to have on you in an airport or at a border crossing, but if you must, there is no problem with doing so. You can pack it in a net in a shoe box or a net in a bag and then put it on a travel head / soda bottle when you get to your destination. If important to you, you may bring a shaitel box instead of a handbag and put your handbag in your larger carryon (since each person is allowed 2 carry-ons: a regular sized & a personal bag such as a laptop bag or a purse). Packing a shaitel box in checked luggage takes up a lot of room, as does a styrofoam head.

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 6:03 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
The actual shaitel is not a problem (in terms of the combs, etc). If you pack an additional shaitel in your carry on, you will most likely have to have your entire carry on bag opened and examined. They will also ask you why you have the wig. A wig is one of the worst "everyday, decent, legal" items to have on you in an airport or at a border crossing, but if you must, there is no problem with doing so. You can pack it in a net in a shoe box or a net in a bag and then put it on a travel head / soda bottle when you get to your destination. If important to you, you may bring a shaitel box instead of a handbag and put your handbag in your larger carryon (since each person is allowed 2 carry-ons: a regular sized & a personal bag such as a laptop bag or a purse). Packing a shaitel box in checked luggage takes up a lot of room, as does a styrofoam head.

I never had a problem traveling with my sheital. If I am flying to a simcha I travel with it set in a smaller sheital box. If I don't need it set special, I have a travel box which goes in my carry on. I've had too many lost luggage incidents to check it. I go through security wearing my sheital all the time and routinely get wanded and never had my luggage opened. It is not a big deal at all. My husband and my kids retrieve my stuff. It take an extra minute.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:45 pm
Wearing a shaitel is not a problem... It's the loose shaitel in a bag, carry on, or box that attracts attention in my experience, even when I go through TSA pre.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 5:02 pm
They may open your sheitel box when you go through security. I have a friend that had all the pins removed but I never had them even open it.

I did pack my sheitel box into my suitcase once and the customs opened that suitcase and left a nice little note that they had opened it to check mysterious objects that showed in the scan.

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 5:10 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Wearing a shaitel is not a problem... It's the loose shaitel in a bag, carry on, or box that attracts attention in my experience, even when I go through TSA pre.

I often travel with my Sheitel box usually FLL -JFK, and never did they open up the box, even when I travelled internationally.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 5:48 pm
An open wig stand is flat when it's not in use.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/W.....y=USD

KeepCalm

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:10 pm
I bought a collapsible head and a box that goes with it.

http://shop.diniwigs.com/styro......html

http://shop.diniwigs.com/wig-b......html

mk613

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 11:35 am
Is it easier to fly in a tichel, or are they going to ask you to take it off (which they wouldn't with a wig)?

kb

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 12:10 pm
They could in theory ask you to take off your tichel. I have seen some people who wear their sheitel through security and switch to a tichel for the flight once on board (in the bathroom)

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 1:17 pm
mk613 wrote:
Is it easier to fly in a tichel, or are they going to ask you to take it off (which they wouldn't with a wig)?

Most airports allow a religious head covering, but have a disclaimer than you may then be subject to a stricter security check.

ariellabella

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 1:21 pm
I always fly in a tichel. Have never been asked to take it off, but they do pat it down.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 2:23 pm
You can ask for a woman to check you if they want you see under your wig.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 2:34 pm
I fly pretty often. Sometimes I'm wearing my wig, sometimes I'm wearing a tichel and the wig is in a box as a carry-on or packed in a ziploc bag. No one has ever had any issues with the wig, whether I'm wearing it or it's in the box or packed. No one has ever made me remove a tichel either, but I have been patted down and they touched my head while I was wearing it.

skcomputer

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 3:04 pm
I travel a lot on business and will only wear a wig when flying. With a tichel or hat they have wanted to look underneath which takes a lot of time to get to a private area to do so. When I wear my wig, I use a plastic barette underneath (rather than a metal barrette) which usually doesn't set off the detectors. Sometimes the metal in the clips and bobby pins sets off an alert for them to check. If I see the TSA person going for my head, I say that I am wearing a wig for religious reasons and I point to where the clips and bobby pins are. The questioning has never gone further than that and proceeds rather quickly.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 3:14 pm
It doesn't matter what I'm wearing - I always win the extra check of "what's in the bag". I've actually found that it's better when I wear a tichel than when I wear a wig. When I wear a wig, inevitably the clips in the sheitel or my metal clips (can't wear plastic, too much hair) set off the detector. It's easier to explain the tichel as religious than it is to explain the wig (because inevitably they search underneath the sheitel).

Oh, and in case anyone else can benefit from this, copious amounts of makeup and face paint are the two other items that make TSA take a second glance. It didn't matter that my stuff met the liquid requirements, they had a hard time understanding why I was traveling with a laptop case filled to the brim with 50 g squares of professional makeup. Thankfully, I had 200 business cards and a few other marketing paraphernalia on me, and so TSA was pulling open my website and comparing the picture of me with the picture on my site showing me in entertainment mode!

Kira

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 4:10 am
I'm flying soon and thinking of wearing a sheital and then changing into a tichel on the plane.

Any advice on how to store my sheital on the plane once I've taken it off? Maybe taking an empty cardboard box in my hand luggage or perhaps it's ok to put the sheital neatly in a bag and store it carefully?

Any suggestions appreciated :-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels