Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
How to make lasagna?

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:46 am
I have the noodles, cottage cheese, american cheese, pasta sauce.
What else do I need?
How do I make it?
Nothing fancy just simple please.

boysrus

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:24 am
oh gosh, eveyrone's recipe is different. here it is as a basic run down though.:
1 )pour a tiny bit of pasta sauce or water or milk into the bottom of your ovenproof dish/pan to stop the noodles from sticking to the bottom.

2) lay a layer of noodles to cover the whole bottom of hte pan

3) personally I mix the pasta sauce with the cottage cheese in a big bowl, others might just put them on separately.

4) pour on some of the pasta sauce and cottage cheese mixture

5) sprinkle with some of the shredded cheese

6) put on a second layer of noodles, followed by a second layer of sauce and second layer of shredded cheese

7) put on a third layer of noodles, sauce, and shredded cheese.

btw, I fyou r cheese is not shreddded, you could just dice it small and sprinkle on top of hte first two layers, then lay out slices on top of top layer of noodles and sauce.

So altogether, you have three layers of noodles, cheese, and sauce.

8) cover and bake for 90mins at 350 degrees.

it is alwasy best imho if you leave it to cool and then reheat it rather than eating it fresh striaght from the oven becasue that way it doesnt fall apart so much

hope this was helpful
b'tai'avon!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:45 am
I make 4 layers of lasagna noodles rather than 3.

Boil noodles in salted water (I usually boil one extra in case of breakage). Drain and rinse with cold water so you can handle the noodles easily.

Spray bottom of pan with PAM and pour a little sauce on the bottom. Lay out three noodles side by side. Add a little more sauce and then spread the cottage/ricotta cheese. Season to taste (I use salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder). Then add next layer of noodles and sauce, season (salt, pepper, oregano, basil) and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Then another layer of noodles, sauce, and cottage/ricotta cheese. And then a final layer of noodles, sauce and a generous helping of shredded cheese. Cut foil to cover the pan, and spray the inside with PAM so the cheese won't stick. Cover lasagna and bake at 350 for an hour. Uncover and let rest for a few minutes before serving.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 11:09 am
American and cottoge cheese are not the right cheeses for Lasagna.

I use the boil noodles, I find it is much better that way.
1 pkg farmer cheese,
1 lb ricotta
1.5 jars of marinara with 2--3 tspp of sugar added

boil noodles with oil and salt, drain, keepp under running cold water they are easier to handle this way

Pour some marinara on the bottom of a pan, cover with noodles.

alternate layers with different cheeses, or a mix of both.

layer noodles over cheese

add marinara to each layer

keep going till your done.

cover top layer in marinara,

add shredded cheese if you like....I don't.

boysrus

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 11:32 am
[quote="Mommy3.5"]American and cottoge cheese are not the right cheeses for Lasagna.

/quote]
mommy 3.5, teh Op says she has cottage cheese and american cheese. those are perfectly good choices for lasagne. personally I always use cottage cheese, th t it what my family likes best. what is the point of telling her not to use the stuff that she has bought specially for lasagne just because it isnt wahat you use? many people DO use her ingredients!
I am sure that your lasagne tastes great too!

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 11:51 am
Bitachon101 wrote:
I have the noodles, cottage cheese, american cheese, pasta sauce.
What else do I need?
How do I make it?
Nothing fancy just simple please.

I never boil the noodles. No need. Just make sure they're covered with sauce to the ends.

Sauce on bottom of pan, to prevent sticking.

Layer noodles (my pans need 3)

Cover with pasta sauce, then add a few clumps of cottage/ricotta cheese. Add some shredded cheese (I'd just tear your cheese up in strips)

Repeat with a second layer.

Third layer is noodles, sauce, shredded cheese, and some parmesan if you have it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 2:24 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....inach

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:30 pm
[quote="boysrus"]
Mommy3.5 wrote:

/quote]
mommy 3.5, teh Op says she has cottage cheese and american cheese. those are perfectly good choices for lasagne. personally I always use cottage cheese, th t it what my family likes best. what is the point of telling her not to use the stuff that she has bought specially for lasagne just because it isnt wahat you use? many people DO use her ingredients!

Mommy 3.5 cheeses aren't the right cheeses either for lasagna. The point of telling the OP the correct recipe for lasagna is because this is titled "how to make a lasagna." I would have let this go, but you asked.

I hate getting served something called a lasagna and getting American cheese and cottage cheese. I hate getting served pizza and having it made with ketchup and American cheese. Call it something else, but not something the whole rest of the world knows as lasagna.

Google cheese lasagna and you can see how different those recipes are. It is made with pretty much as Barbara said but mozzarella cheese is the unnamed shredded cheese.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 8:35 am
[quote="boysrus"]
Mommy3.5 wrote:

/quote]

Yes you can use whatever you have or like, but rarely are there recipes calling for those two cheeses in Lasdagna. not in the classic italian manner. I have used cottoge cheese in a pinch, but, there are better choices. I just offered my recipe. Smile

thankyou

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 8:46 am
I add two eggs to the two cottage cheeses. With some oregano and salt. Then one layer of lasagna noodles (bot cooked!), a layer I tomato paste mixed with some water, a layer of cottage cheese and a layer of American cheese. Repeat twice. Yum!

etky

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 9:34 am
I use the no-boil noodles. A tip I got from Cook's Illustrated said to soak the noodles in warm (not hot) water for about 15-20 min. before assembling the lasagna. This ensures the noodles will be cooked through and soft and for those who prefer a dryer lasagna it obviates the need to add tons of sauce.
Another thing I sometimes do is add a bit of cooking cream to the marinara sauce to mellow it a bit. Sometimes I also add a bit of pesto to the cottage cheese for added flavor, depending on who my 'audience' is.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 9:41 am
etky wrote:
I use the no-boil noodles. A tip I got from Cook's Illustrated said to soak the noodles in warm (not hot) water for about 15-20 min. before assembling the lasagna. This ensures the noodles will be cooked through and soft and for those who prefer a dryer lasagna it obviates the need to add tons of sauce.

I started doing this and my lasagnas come out much much better now.

etky

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 9:43 am
mha3484 wrote:
I started doing this and my lasagnas come out much much better now.

Yes- it works well for meat lasagna too.

aqua1

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 3:29 am
I don't like the creamy cheeses so I do just american cheese and I layer it with the noodles and sauce and its great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals