Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Any rabbonim I can e-mail with a shaylah on Tisha B'Av?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:35 pm
The fast just started and I'm sick. Dry Mouth.
Can hardly talk or swallow. My tongue is practically glued to the roof of my mouth.
I asked two rabbonim recently for a heter. One said rinse but don't swallow every nine minutes. The other said swallow 1 oz of water every 7 minutes.
My mouth is so dry and I cannot see doing this for the next 24 hours. Help! My first question is can I ask another rav, I've already asked 2?
Second question, is there a rav I can e-mail. Calling these rabbonim is so embarrassing, especially since they fail to understand my medical situation.
Please pardon any typos cuz I'm posting this "standing" since it's leil tisha b'av.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:47 pm
I know a chabad rav who converses thru email, in a timely fashion.
If you speak to a third rav, I would mention what the other 2 have said too.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
I know a chabad rav who converses thru email, in a timely fashion.
If you speak to a third rav, I would mention what the other 2 have said too.

Can you post his name and email?

SplitPea

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
The fast just started and I'm sick. Dry Mouth.
Can hardly talk or swallow. My tongue is practically glued to the roof of my mouth.
I asked two rabbonim recently for a heter. One said rinse but don't swallow every nine minutes. The other said swallow 1 oz of water every 7 minutes.
My mouth is so dry and I cannot see doing this for the next 24 hours. Help! My first question is can I ask another rav, I've already asked 2?
Second question, is there a rav I can e-mail. Calling these rabbonim is so embarrassing, especially since they fail to understand my medical situation.
Please pardon any typos cuz I'm posting this "standing" since it's leil tisha b'av.

I think the reason you have not been given a heter is because this is not life threatening or health altering. I have had fasts where I have had a migraine so bad I could not walk. Light made my vision blurry. I spend the entire day curled up in a ball in a dark room in bed. But I fasted.

I have had other times because if medication or recent birth that I have been medically unable to fast and I would have been in a bad health situation if I fasted. I was given a heter.

Dry mouth is hard. And your ravs probably understand that. But its not health altering. I am sure if you ask enough ravs you will find one that tells you to do shurim. But the fact that you have already asked 2.....

My suggestion would be to find a rav considered an expert. Someone who many many people go to with fasting shilas and ask them and then be done with it. Sadly you will probably get a similar answer to what you have already gotten.

I hope the fast gets easier for you. Good luck!

mo5

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:18 pm
Not a name of a rav- but maybe sucking ice (same size as the 1 oz you were told you can drink) will be more helpful than just drinking.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
Can you post his name and email?

can you post an email address, and I will email it to you.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 8:19 pm
Is t Tisha b'av is a fast that you don't need to fast if you feel bad?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
can you post an email address, and I will email it to you.

[email removed]
Thank you.
I'm not OP btw.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Is t Tisha b'av is a fast that you don't need to fast if you feel bad?

No.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note